mcarterbrown.com  

Old 12-31-2013, 11:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Kilt Fan
Canada Hydrotesting -- 1 litre exemption rule

Couldn't find any clear answers regarding laws in Canada with relation to exemptions from Hydrotesting, so I contacted transport Canada awhile ago.
[Their responses are in brackets]

Hello there!

I have a quick question that I need clarification on.

Are any size tanks exempt from hydrostatic testing when used for HPA (Compressed air). Such tanks may be composite wrapped and certified for 4500 psi, or steel and certified for 3000psi.

Specifically I am referring to tanks used for paintball. [Please note that there are no special requirements for cylinders use in paintball applications.]

I was told that if the tank holds less than one litre of water, that is exempt from requiring to be tested. [This is correct. Clause 24.2.1.6 of CSA B339-02 states the following:
“Containers with a capacity of 1.0 L water or less shall be exempt from periodic requalification.”]

Could you please clarify for me the defining factors of criteria for a tank of such nature to be exempt in Canada from requiring testing? [The water capacity is the only criteria considered.]

Thank you very much!

--Cameron Turnbull

Just noticed that they didn't clarify whether carbon wrapped tanks are also exempt, however, I'd suggest not going more than the 5 year gap as it's a relatively new technology, and is more prone to deteriorating.
I also may have read that it is only steel tanks that are exempt, which is why I wasn't too pressing on it.
Dr. VonDeafingson
I typically carry one extra tube and give them 1 ball from it.

I'm an *** like that.

My Feedback!
vv0mp is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Local Games » Canada