mcarterbrown.com  

Carter Machine Carter Buzzards, Comps, Mini Comps, Ducks and more!

Old 09-21-2010, 10:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Thinking about buying a Carter, questions . . .

Hello,

I am a long time paintball player and a fairly longtime pump/stock convert and have relatively recently gotten back into the sport full tilt. I currently have a VSC phantom and a cocker that I converted into a sniper. I am seriously considering buying a Carter, but I honestly don't know a lot about them except that they are great markers.

1) What is the difference, aside from cosmetics, between the buzzard and mini buzzard?

2) Aside from the vertical CO2, are there any major mechanical differences between the buzzard and the mini comp?

3) What is gas efficiency like for these markers with a good paint/barrel match and average weather (60-80 degrees)?

4) Any weird mechanical issues that are prevalent in the markers? reliability problems?

5) What is cold weather performance like? Anything terribly unusual?

Thanks
pearcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Dive Dive Dive

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
The buzzard has a collar that the feed tube connects too the mini doesn't.

The mini comp is a dual arm under cocking design. Both arms connect with the bolt. The buzzard has the dual side arms that are connected to the bolt via windows in the sides of the body by screws.

Gas efficiency is like other nelsons.

Carter auto triggers can be finicky, and Carter has a bevel in the breach of the barrel.

This one is mine & is one of only 4-5 aluminum bodied mini buzzards made at this time. Earon's personal, Rudz, Mine, Polished punk pink one still at Earon's and possibly a body floating around, Maybe...

This one is currently FS here on MCB. This is my favorite buzzard!
It like the CCM version of Two Girls One Cup.
I will ban folks.... I swear.
TF

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Last edited by worrptangl; 09-22-2010 at 12:30 AM.
worrptangl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I had a buzzard where if the collar was not locked down hard, it would shift the body back just slightly enough that it would fail to fire. Kind of annoying. Also you might run into trouble, as noted, using non carter barrels. My other two carters had no such issues.

Otherwise, they are (well built, solid, smooth,damn good looking and nice to play with) nelsons and perform just as well as you would expect your phantom to.
Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Carter Machine has been making more of the mini-buzzards lately and very rarely the standard buzzard with the collar. Earon prefers to make the collar-less mini-buzzards
Old 09-24-2010, 05:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dive Dive Dive

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Any more aluminum bodies Manny?
It like the CCM version of Two Girls One Cup.
I will ban folks.... I swear.
TF

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
worrptangl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 05:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone View Post
I had a buzzard where if the collar was not locked down hard, it would shift the body back just slightly enough that it would fail to fire. Kind of annoying.
I have fix for it in my sig.

The Buzzard is available in a 1.5 trigger which gives you a much lighter trigger but, the mini comp/new aluminum body collarless Buzzard design is more stream line and reliable. The back bottle is more air efficient than the vertical model. The biggest problem is collared Buzzard body moving like "Boone" mentioned and the beveled barrels. The easiest fix for to use a standard barrel is to use 2 #15 o=rings between the barrel and body. This moves the barrel slightly forward and eliminates the miss/no fires. I own a verity of Carters and my Buzzards are over all better shooters than the rest simply because of the awesome trigger pull. There are also major differences between the Carters and Phantoms.

Carters: longer trigger sears for a better pull, 1.5 triggers, venturi bolts, and dual cocking arms.

flyingpootang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
DSL is new here

Make sure you get a slider.

Make sure you get a Buzzard, comp's (and rtr gargoyles) are just pretty phantoms, with the buzzard you get a significantly better pump stroke than a phantom due to the superior side cocking design.

And if you want to use a non carter barrel you can put a smaller oring on the tip of the bolt to prevent the issues you've heard before.

Gear Bag Sale!

Take my drop box referral and we both get an extra 250 Mb free!
Quote:
Originally Posted by killedcookie View Post
I propose we make a brass guillotine.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Sneaky Little Bastid #3

Palmers Fan
Gonna have to disagree with you on the minicomp leafy, it has both rods connected to the bolt and pums great, gargoyle has on "guide" rod and one attached to the bolt, still smooth but not as smooth. If you doubt me I'll bring my minicomp for the next game we are both at.
PB Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

I don't wanna seem biased but to put it into a differant perspective

Volkswagons (phantom) & Porche's (comp) = used to have the same engine but to me (at the time) the porche was just a souped up pretty volkswagon. Once I got to drive one, well I knew better. If you haven't taken one that has been well maintained out for a spin then you'll never really know other than your own opinion & what others have said (notice I said well maintained, poor maintenance leads to performance probs no matter what your shooting). Personally I'd rather have the porche over the volkswagon but thats me. The Dual Rod Pump on the comp is a superior design and is not sloppy - again take what I say for what it is. You may wanna think I'm bias'd and maybe I am but I know what I prefer. I'll shoot a phantom if that's what's available to me but I can't see myself buying one for me,maybe for my kids for the light weight. Not knockin CCI by no means as they are a proven marker with minions throughout the world. It's all good quality stuff and preferance is all personal.
Once you get that one marker that you love, it'll love you back. Proper maintenance will help insure proper function. Un-necessary maintenance will lead you to potential heartache.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
DSL is new here

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB Weasel View Post
Gonna have to disagree with you on the minicomp leafy, it has both rods connected to the bolt and pums great, gargoyle has on "guide" rod and one attached to the bolt, still smooth but not as smooth. If you doubt me I'll bring my minicomp for the next game we are both at.
bring it to the birthday ball game. I dont believe the pump stroke is as good as a buzzard.

Gear Bag Sale!

Take my drop box referral and we both get an extra 250 Mb free!
Quote:
Originally Posted by killedcookie View Post
I propose we make a brass guillotine.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Carter Machine