mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Carter Machine (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/carter-machine/)
-   -   Buzzard Barrel Options (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/carter-machine/168527-buzzard-barrel-options.html)

Omega Chief 07-11-2011 11:15 PM

Buzzard Barrel Options

Hello everyone,

I've been mulling over my options for my Carter Buzzard for a bit now, and thought I would check in for some recommendations.

Pretty much tired of rollouts/etc. So, there are a few ways to go:

Standard options:
Bore original barrel for freak inserts (does someone do this?)
Buy a kit from Carter ($?) (could/would Carter convert current barrel?)
Fishing line modification
Wedgits in original barrel

I have a Sanchez Machine barrel kit, modified for Buzzard use, but the imperfect tolerances between the barrel and the pump frustrate me. I don't feel that sacrificing the pump stroke is worth it. I have considered lathing up my SM barrel, and turning it down a bit. Then I could sleeve the barrel, allowing a perfect fit. This would give me the excellent quality of the SM barrel/inserts, along with the pump stroke. But other inserts are harder to come by; and it may not be worth the time/slight risk involved.

I have a Kaner kit I've never tried on it, but I suppose that would give me the same issues. (out of town, cannot attempt)

So really, what's the best way to do it? Really it comes down to are having the sized inserts life changing enough to warrant it? And if so, what's the best option? Freak/carter etc. I see pros and cons on both sides.

Thank you all, apologies for the absurd length.

worrptangl 07-12-2011 12:30 AM

If you want to you can send you stock barrel in and it can be milled for his inserts. I have heard both good and bad things about freak inserts and carters.

I say go with the carter inserts! Or even just having a new barrel made with inserts.

lechooch 07-12-2011 12:46 AM

If it meets the qualifications, get it freak bored, does it need a bevel?

worrptangl 07-12-2011 11:43 AM

That is where you can run into problems with the freak. The smaller inserts need a smaller o ring on the bolt so they dont get stuck and pull the insert back into the snub when Pumped.

Omega Chief 07-12-2011 05:52 PM

Yeah the Buzzard barrel has a bevel. Ah, sounds fussy with the Freak's then, so that's likely a no-go.

But he will mill the stock barrel for inserts? Very cool, any idea how that changes the cost? If needed I'll get a hold of Demonio or Lauren on it.

If the price is close, I'll just get a new one. Then at least I've got a spare, and can go the fishing line / wedgit route.

Worth it though to have inserts of some sort I presume though, correct? I've always wished there were better numbers out there for efficiency and accuracy/consistency gains.

worrptangl 07-12-2011 06:03 PM

I would say inserts are the better option. I don't think it will cost as much as a new barrel w/ inserts.

Marathon 07-13-2011 10:15 PM

I run a Mini Buzzard with a freak barrel. I have had zero problems with the bolt dragging on the freak inserts (I usually use a 679)

I have heard some users need to put an o ring between the snub and the outside of the barrel threads. This keeps the barrel from screwing in completely and making an artificial bevel.
I would recommend a true freak barrel. I have found barrels milled out for freak inserts don't work as well. The bored out freaks have more wiggle room than the true freak barrels that have O-rings to hold the inserts in place. I find the wiggle room affects accuracy. That is my expirience others may differ.

Omega Chief 07-13-2011 10:20 PM

Do you find that a freak barrel is not a perfect fit within the pump? Doesn't this deteriorate the pump stroke quality?

splattttttt 07-14-2011 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omega Chief (Post 1916348)
Do you find that a freak barrel is not a perfect fit within the pump? Doesn't this deteriorate the pump stroke quality?

better off with a Carter barrel and kit. It's 99.99% proprietary now

russc 07-14-2011 04:33 AM

Lapco sizers work very well in Buzzards, since you can lock down the collar screws and still remove your barrel. Boomsticks have a nice shoulder for the pump handle, I use a Titanium one in mine.