mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Carter Machine (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/carter-machine/)
-   -   Buzzard Barrel vs. Aftermarkets (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/carter-machine/247827-buzzard-barrel-vs-aftermarkets.html)

daemon512 12-19-2013 02:04 PM

Buzzard Barrel vs. Aftermarkets

I know this is going to really come down to personal preference, but I wanted to get a feeler from people who own Carters...

I'm getting a Buzzard made, and I was wondering how the stock barrels were? I typically use Lapco barrels on my other markers, and am used to markers that really benefit from a better barrel (ie, my A-5 shot, in my opinion, far better with a non-stock barrel). How do people typically like the stock barrel? I've tried to find things on here, but all I really found was people who had issues with the bore sizing, and either put in wedgits, or used the electrical tape/nail polish trick (aside from freak boring, typically still using the original barrel). Has anyone actually gotten an aftermarket barrel?

I mostly ask because I personally don't like the idea of inserts. Its hard to explain really, and I know done well they'll work fine, its just a mental thing, call me OCD if you want. Has anyone used a 1-piece or 2-piece kit without inserts with theirs? Am I likely to be fine just using the Carter inserts?

tldr: Do Carter's inserts please just about everyone, or do people get aftermarket barrels?

Thank you!

808raoul 12-19-2013 02:41 PM

I agree it's personal preference. I like using the stock barrels. I own both old school stainless barrels (.689) and a newer insert style barrel (two piece titanium). both work well for me. With the newer insert style barrels I don't have to worry about rollouts.

I also have a newer one piece 14 inch barrel, but I haven't used it on my buzzard. I would try an aftermarket barrel but I have none that are beveled at the moment. If you do get an aftermarket barrel for your buzzard don't forget to bevel it.

hellion360 12-19-2013 08:44 PM

Carter's Barrels are definitely very nice barrels.
I use the stock barrel on all of mine.
I use a lapco sizer on my stainless one piece.

worrptangl 12-19-2013 09:37 PM

You will be hard pressed to find a barrel better than the stock one Earon makes. They are super smooth and the inserts make them even better.

daemon512 12-20-2013 11:43 AM

Thank you! Good to know. I guess the only reason I'll get an aftermarket is if my dislike of using inserts really makes the barrel bother me. That must be why I can't find anything on anyone using aftermarket barrels too, if his are so good.

Riddler 12-20-2013 12:10 PM

FWIW, I'm also perfectly happy with my stock Buzzard barrel and set of Carter inserts.

1shot 12-20-2013 04:03 PM

Any one know about how much the stock barrels with inserts cost?

worrptangl 12-20-2013 04:29 PM

Around $100 but don't quote me. His prices can change depending on material costs.

1shot 12-20-2013 07:26 PM

Perfect, I was just looking for a general range. Thanks for the info.

worrptangl 12-20-2013 07:46 PM

No problem.