mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Carter Machine (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/carter-machine/)
-   -   Bolt o-ring, is it important? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/carter-machine/248859-bolt-o-ring-important.html)

1shot 01-06-2014 10:03 PM

Bolt o-ring, is it important?

I got some different o-rings to play with. I was trying to find a good match that wouldn't pull out my freak inserts. It has occurred to me is it even needed. People take o-rings of Autococker bolts all the time. I imagine there may be a small drop in efficiency and maybe consistency. Has anyone tried this? It seams like I heard of someone running a Phantom that way.

worrptangl 01-06-2014 10:32 PM

I would just put whatever size on that doesn't stick in you smallest barrel or insert. You can hurt efficiency by having air go back into the body.

short304 01-07-2014 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1shot (Post 2875712)
I imagine there may be a small drop in efficiency and maybe consistency. Has anyone tried this?

This is correct... you don't need the oring, but it acts to seal the breech and ensure all of the pressure is on the ball and not escaping around the bolt. You will loose efficiency and will likely see more velocity fluctuation from shot to shot. I'll second what worrpt says, just use the smallest oring that will seal the breech w/o pulling out the insert - usually a 110 to 112 (you might have to stretch a 110 or 111), or a similar ID 1.5mm CS oring.

lucky duck 01-08-2014 12:34 AM

Could make you gun fire at the end of the pump stroke.Depends on the sear tolerance. Slide trigger adjust forward .Swing trigger slightly grinding the seer maybe needed.Food for thought.

eddielives75 01-08-2014 07:26 PM

I put on a big fat oring, it bumps up to the barrel and doesn't pull out my freak inserts. I'm getting 45+ shots on my buzzard ;)

short304 01-08-2014 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky duck (Post 2876646)
Could make you gun fire at the end of the pump stroke.Depends on the sear tolerance. Slide trigger adjust forward .Swing trigger slightly grinding the seer maybe needed.Food for thought.

Great point! Sear tolerance definitely should be considered... unwanted autotriggering is always a possibility if you remove the bolt oring

1shot 01-08-2014 09:36 PM

True, fortunately mine seems to be one of the more forgiving Buzzards. It even works with a couple of my cocker barrels.

splattttttt 01-13-2014 06:47 PM

For sure the correct barrel is a must.
I always had great luck with deadly wind. The inserts never came out of those. I would then match the oring to the insert.
But lucky duck hit the nail right on the head.
Palmers will make you a nice barrel with a bevel. Ask for wedgits too. You have other options like the techfit.
Edit: and here

short304 01-13-2014 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splattttttt (Post 2880599)
Palmers will make you a nice barrel with a bevel. here

Figured I'd add to this, that SSC will also add a bevel to any barrel if you ask him; he did one for me a while back when I sent him a barrel to freak bore.

splattttttt 01-13-2014 09:32 PM

should have mentioned Ryan as well.