mcarterbrown.com  

Carter's Commando Home of the Hawaiian wearing, louder is better, let's just have fun paintball team.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Distruster of Joggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm6rocker View Post
This was probably my last trip to EMR. While I had a great time with everyone off the field, the actual play time was not worth the 5 hour drive and hotel costs to me. I have a handful of fields under two hours away that host bigger and better games, more pump events per year, sell better paint for less, and MOST of the MCB'ers that I met at my first trip to EMR play at these events. Not bashing EMR here, as I had some amazing memories from there. But I have a hard time seeing another Pumpers happening after this year.
The beltway gang decided the same a few years ago.

Sorry to add a negative post to this thread, this conversation has happened every year after each PP but it has been a gradual slide down hill since the first event. Without management support this event is an epic fail and will continue to be so.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
ophthalmotropic

CCM Fan
PP used to be the only(?) pump scenario game. That was a big draw. Go back to that.

The turnout was good... for the people that read MCB. There was almost no one else. Wasn't advertised at all anywhere else. EMR needs to work on that and work on getting back some field teams / locals that will show up too.

Switching sides for pump castle didn't work the first time and I'm glad they skipped it this time. The first game is too long and the defenders lose any enthusiasm to attack after. It's impossible to keep attackers out of the walls.

I had a good time, but could have taken the same group of people to any other field that allows camping and had just as much fun.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
Palmers Fan
PP is really just an afterthought for EMR management. It's not a big money maker, less paint used = less money made. And let's face it, with the group of people that regularly attend, they could just unlock the gate on Friday and come back Sunday night to lock and make sure no one is passed out under the deck. Also with a gas well on the property, the money will be rolling in whether there is paintball or not. Carter probably has the best idea, take over the entire weekend as far as organizing the games and schedule and just let the EMR employees handle money and reffing. Being local, I would be glad to help where I can.

Feedback
tarakian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
Phantom Lords

CCM Fan
i was wondering about promotion as the game date grew nearer and nearer. i went to a few pump days at local fields, mere weeks from PP, and was surprised to see blank looks when i mentioned the date and upcoming event.

for most people, it's a haul to get out to emr. i was definitely sorry to miss it; actually ive never been to a PP and was really looking forward to it until some last minute business stuff came up. if it's just standard rec games though, it's true that there are quite a number of specialized pump games going on already, without having to drive three hours and shoot iffy paint. a lot more promotion is necessary.

i'd be happy to do as much as possible in my area to help spread the word.

my feedback
Reloadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
****ing speak up Im deaf!

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
The event needs better promotion and better organization at the field.

Also, put the vintage pistol game on the schedule! Most fun I've had all year! And maybe get some refs that'll do more than sit on top of the bunker I'm behind.....

PS. Bring the valken paint back please.

We had one bag that was almost .70 paint my bags (i bought a case) were floating around .677 and my larger bag was .685

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talfuchre View Post
If you are not stalking - you are not showing love...
Feedback
Dr. VonDeafingson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:16 PM   #16 (permalink)
It's All In The Reflexes.

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
My question to you guys is why run the event for EMR when everyone complains about the drive, paint and weather? Why not make your own Pumper's at a closer field that uses good paint and would have it at a better time of year?
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:06 AM   #17 (permalink)
Walking without rhythm

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
My question to you guys is why run the event for EMR when everyone complains about the drive, paint and weather? Why not make your own Pumper's at a closer field that uses good paint and would have it at a better time of year?
DONE!

August Pump Event!

We would love to see some of the MCB folks come NORTH for a change!!
Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:29 PM   #18 (permalink)
Distruster of Joggers

Quote:
The core of MCb'ers at EMR are not there to play paintball, its more of a social event.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:03 PM   #19 (permalink)
Old 'n Slow

Quote:
EMR is the closest "Large" field to me at 2 hrs.
I have an indoor speedball and 2 outdoor fields within 30 minutes but neither offer what EMR can/ has.

I attended a "Big Game" at a field 1 hr away and there were but 42 players.
Its a nice field and the owner is a good guy ( Boss Paintball, home of the Boss Bolts and other upgrades).
They're hosting a benefit game in Aug and I plan on attending.

I will attend Spring and Fall Castles and PP . These are the few times I've played in the last couple of years.
I seldomly play at my local fields.

As stated above, half the fun is hanging out on the deck and BS'ing.

the "Army of Darkness" and "Office Space" themed Pump Pandemoniums were fun but someone put time and effort into them.
This year it was ...um..um..Lets attack the Castle!
We do that in the spring and fall, I wasn't jazzed about doing it again.

Last edited by Target; 07-24-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:01 PM   #20 (permalink)
Trololol

Send a message via AIM to Meph

Fan of EMR
I missed most of Saturday, but made it and played this weekend for a bit. Heard a bunch of complaints, got to talking with Pup back at the bunkhouse with regards to turnout and improving the game.

Nothing in stone, but Pup wants to talk to Blue about taking over the organization of Pump Pandemonium. This last one wasn't an SCP or MCB organized event, Jab did this one. And he organized it like a standard paintball event instead of a pump centric event. Which for upcoming Quest, or Castle games, or such is fine. But it's hard to take a formula that works for those groups and apply it to pump groups. Not to criticize them or bus under tossing, they did what they thought would work well. But pump players are the special needs class. They need more attention or else that bottle of paste is going to disappear.

First and foremost, want to bring it back to flag based format. Not a scenario game, but a themed game (there is a theme in mind we want to roll with, will announce if it is). No special roles or pages of rules adding complexity to the gearworks because in the end every scenario always messes those up and turns the game into a cluster**** of "well Ref A said this" "but Ref B said the opposite was okay!" So theme good, characters good, special roles requiring more complex rules bad. Basic 1 ball is 1 elimination. Again, early in the works, but looking to have missions where 1 of the flags will be the central focus at any given hour. Thus that flag will be worth more points and those points will be awarded in quicker durations than the other flags (example, all other flags are 10 points every 1/2 hour, but Mission flag is 25 points every 15 minutes). In concept this is to entice gameplay to be focused heavily at 1 location for that 1 given hour, then it shifts elsewhere, and again. Goal being to have the game spread along all of the available EMR fields throughout the day. This will also hopefully prevent 1 side from being so dominant on the field that the other side gets disenfranchised and don't come back. Which tends to be another common problem. One side usually gets pounded and kind of start to taper off the field leaving their side even that much more helpless.

So gameplay brought back to being flag based. The other big thing needed. New date. It just needs to be moved away from ION. First weekend of July, last weekend of July, I've asked Pup to find out about mid-May potentially. All depends, but ION being the middle of July is a big obstacle to overcome. Last weekend of July looks more likely in my book. Gives a 2 week gap between both ION and Quest on either direction of the calendar. Possibly the best option available as it might be difficult for too many to make back to back weekend paintball events.

Paint. I have asked Pup to make a request. To see if there is a grade of paint better than what the current batch of field paint is. I do not know if it's the economic grade, medium, or top shelf. But if they make a better grade of paint, see how much more it is per case, and see if everybody is willing to pay that cost. I think currently paint is $65 per case when you pre-register. Okay. Just checked EMR's website, apparently it's DXS Bronze paint. If it costs $5 or $10 more per case, would people be willing to buy Silver or Gold? I might suggest Silver as Gold says to be more brittle. Which for tournament markers sure, sub-300 or sub-200 psi and eyes. They can be more brittle as the marker and air are more gentle on the paint.

Again, I don't even know if this is a possibility, I'm waiting to hear back on it. I was as well disappointed in the paints performance. Sure it was a little non-round, but they shot straight enough and I could hit what I wanted to at 50, 70, 90 feet. But I just couldn't get the paint to break on anybody. I don't care if I have to get close because the 150ft long balls aren't straight enough. But when I AM close I want those chest shots to break. And multiple times I kept hitting elbows and shoulders with nothing to show for it.

First Strike Rounds. Anybody that wants that, I'd do like above. No idea if it'll work I'm not an employee or in constant contact with them, but large number of voices tend to make people see business potential. Email Blue. Tell him FPO is fine and that you want to buy First Strike rounds from him to use on his fields. Let him know you understand field paint is how he makes the money to pay the bills and that you're willing to pay the cost to shoot his F.S. field rounds.

Last edited by Meph; 07-24-2013 at 05:14 PM.
Meph is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball Teams » Carter's Commando