mcarterbrown.com  

Carter's Commando Home of the Hawaiian wearing, louder is better, let's just have fun paintball team.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Send a message via AIM to Greenmtnphantom Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
Pump Pandamonium Feedback

Lets be proactive for a change. Lets put all our Pros and Cons down and I'll make sure that JAB gets them.
Please keep it to stuff the field can influence, they can't do anythign about my bad cooking.

Cons - The paint was inconsistent and not the best I have used at EMR, The turnout was low and the event really not marketed at all, I would have been happier if they had done the flag game or a second Castle in the afternoon on Saturday. Most of us are older and move slow, if we aren't going to have a posted schedule we need more than 15minutes notice to get ready for game time/ or really anything

Pros - The paint wasn't as bad as the JT from a few years back. Pump Castle was fun, the vintage pistol games were amazing and the night play (a first for me) was really enjoyable especially in the castle.
They Broke for lunch this year which I'm sure with our group didn't help attendance for the afternoon was AWESOME!

Suggestions for next PP-

Friday -
Night games?

Saturday -
Themed Flag game like Sundays on Saturday morning
Lunch
Switch sides or fields, same game
Dinner Break/Prize drawing
Stock Class only games, Pickup games, tournament
Night Games

Sunday -
Castle or FT Worr Attack/Defend
Defenders (ask a team to Volunteer in advance or people to sign up double check numbers at the safety brief)
I don't so much make money, as provide a conduit for it's movement.
Stock class = 12grams and a stick feed. End discussion.
Greenmtnphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Cons - paint was inconsistent. Its pump play, and in a lot of cases, stock class. Use high quality paint for less frustration on the field.

-No first strikes. Get a case of them in field colors. People will eventually use them all. Its not like they have a short shelf life. It will add a whole new level of fun to pump AND regular play.

-Prize drawing on sunday. That sucks. I leave sunday mornings. I travel a long way to attend. My son was very dissapointed with that.

-No annoucements. Put the game start time ( or better yet a countdown to game start time) and the LOCATION (!!!!!) over the PA system. A ref walk around 15 minutes before the game is no good, especially if you don't know where the game is.

- The lunch truck closed before the lunch break.... WTF????? Without that we had to take time to cook which surely didn't help attendance for the second game.

Pros - the paint was much better than the gooey JT footballs.
-defined lunch break
My Feedback
first strike pez dispensers in stock - pm me!
dukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
I Am The Admin

Send a message via AIM to Painthappy

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Also: Falls on the same weekend as ION

Promotion of the event. There was none except what we posted personally here on this site. There wasn't much of a mention of it anywhere else. Literally.

I would do this:

Themed game - 5 flag stations with one flag in front of each insertion point that can be taken back to the other base for big points. 2 hours to 3 hour game, break, switch sides and do another 2 to 3 hour stretch.

3 hours was almost too much. When someone made the horrible call to make it an 8 hour game, that's when it all fell apart. It's too damn hot and most are just not going to play that long. Try 2 1/2 hours, 1 1/2 hour break, 2 1/2 hours.

Promote the event.

I would personally be happy to run the "scenario" next year if a few other MCBers want to jump in with me and help make it happen.
google.com/+CarterBrown75
Painthappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Send a message via AIM to Greenmtnphantom Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
The only Thing stopping me from volunteering to "run" it is that I want to play. I'll absolutely help out as long as I can play Carter.
I don't so much make money, as provide a conduit for it's movement.
Stock class = 12grams and a stick feed. End discussion.
Greenmtnphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Big guy in a wig

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I would be more than happy to help run the event with you. I go to EMR to see the people more than I go to play. Count me in.
Feedback
The Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
ye olde bastid

To be fair, I think the field was flummoxed by the lack of players and this threw any plans they had (good or bad) out the window and they had to adjust on the fly. That said, what unfolded could have been handled better.

PROS
The peeps.
The food.
The camping.
Meeting other pumpers.
I still had fun.

CONS
Iffy paint. Sizing was all over the place.
Nothing ran on time.
Showed up for 10am safety briefing/11am game - waited nearly an hour for the briefing, don't even know what time the game started.
It's too darn hot in July!
Missed the raffle. My bad, was packing up tents and missed the announcement. Was there an announcement?
EMR needs to move closer to Boston.

SUGGESTIONS
I agree with much of the above. Mostly, having a (better) plan and running it a little more pro-actively.
The larger format games are great, and what many come down for. I would also welcome more smaller games (20-40 payers) on some of the other cool fields.
If we can get the attendance up it would create more opportunities to do more of the things people like.

TheFeedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
TheYoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

I was not there due to scheduling issues, but something to think about might be that attendance being low might partially be due to pump play in general becoming more popular and available in other places. It seems counter intuitive but a few years ago there were not that many opportunities for pump only play. Now here in New England it seems like every field is offering a few pump days a year. It's great to have all these options but even though pump seems to be getting more popular there is a limited number of pump players, each of whom play a limited number of events each year. The drive to EMR to play pump just doesn't make as much sense when there are so many places and dates available closer to home.

The thing that made PP successful was that it offered something fairly unique. To continue to draw large numbers it will need to figure out what it offers that the local pump days do not. PP also in a way competes with other EMR events. Those of us who live hundreds of mile away are lucky to be able to find the time and money to attend events their even once a year. Choosing between PP and a castle event is tough.

Another thought; 60-75 players might seem like poor attendance to an EMR event, but that's pretty huge compared to the turnout at the local pump games I've been to.

Just some thoughts I had that felt might be worth sharing. I don't know how much paintball is in my future since my spinal issues have returned with a vengeance, but if help is needed with organizing or planning I'd be glad to do what I can.

Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=12439

My other passion: http://www.cameroncanine.com
Dave Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Moderating in Moderation

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Pro - there were boobies
Con - there were not enough boobies
Politically, Socially and Aerodynamically Incorrect
Everything I have ever loved is immoral or illegal
Vir sapit qui pauca loquitur.
stewart potter common sense, elephant and duck tests
Force this into a gaussian distributed parabolic curve!
oldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
ye olde bastid

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
Pro - there were boobies
Con - there were not enough boobies
Amen.

TheFeedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
TheYoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
X0317

Send a message via AIM to dm6rocker

CCM Fan
I was a little disappointed by this year's event. The past two years were much better in my opinion.

Pros:
The people. It was good to see some familiar faces, as well as some newcomers.
The food was great! I enjoyed munching on some snacks, and I hope those that had a chance to try my grilled shrimp enjoyed them.
The atmosphere. One of the many reasons I made an effort to come out to EMR was the good vibes that everyone puts out. Everyone there is out to have some fun, it's not a win at all costs event.

The Cons:
-PAINT! That paint was terrible, and WAY overpriced. I've shot better paint that I got from Dicks and Kmart. $25 a bag was a ripoff for that garbage. I had some tubes that would roll out of a .675 insert, and the next would be too big for it. Not to mention both of my bags were shaped like footballs. Go back to the Valken that was used last year.

-First Strikes. Almost EVERY field that hosts big games and scenarios sells FPO First Strike. They even make it in a blue fill. Simply saying it's unsafe is bogus. If you're going to ban it's use, at least give us a legitimate reason. You're missing out on a huge money maker for your field. 40 rounds of FS usually costs as much as 500 rounds of paint, if not more.

-Referee Enthusiasm. Didn't see much of it. Heard the same from many others. Games also ran late, and the general organization was just not there. Things need to get a little more organized, refs need to do a better job keeping track of the game and time, etc...

-Advertising. As was mentioned, there was NO advertising for this game whatsoever. If you want people to attend your game, PROMOTE YOUR GAME! Get on the forums and announce it! Build some hype, get people interested in it. No one is going to go to a big game that they don't know about.

This was probably my last trip to EMR. While I had a great time with everyone off the field, the actual play time was not worth the 5 hour drive and hotel costs to me. I have a handful of fields under two hours away that host bigger and better games, more pump events per year, sell better paint for less, and MOST of the MCB'ers that I met at my first trip to EMR play at these events. Not bashing EMR here, as I had some amazing memories from there. But I have a hard time seeing another Pumpers happening after this year.

things for sale!
dm6rocker is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball Teams » Carter's Commando