mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 12-07-2009, 12:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNA View Post
A Phantom is like a well made pair of boots .....at first the Boots/Phantom are stiff and not very comfortable but after a little wear and tear your new boots/Phantom fit like a glove. In other words your phantom may need to be broken in.
I would say it's more like the boots are made of metal and your feet just have to get used to them.

Phantom pump strokes never get as smooth and light as snipers. Undercocking kits and phuzzard mods help - but they're always going to be heavy.
brycelarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:52 AM   #12 (permalink)
Yngling Half troll

Send a message via AIM to EDDAKA Send a message via MSN to EDDAKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaSs_FR View Post
Don't worry about it, there is the main spring behind the bolt. You already got to force against that spring when you cock. That's why the pump return spring is too much in my opinion.
Huh?

Obviously you took the spring off and thought the main spring solved the problem. Did you gas it up and see what happened?

The hammer and bolt link together. Meaning they can slide back in forth willy nilly in the phantom. Double feeding as they please.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:07 AM   #13 (permalink)
All in

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDDAKA View Post
Huh?

Obviously you took the spring off and thought the main spring solved the problem. Did you gas it up and see what happened?

The hammer and bolt link together. Meaning they can slide back in forth willy nilly in the phantom. Double feeding as they please.
Lol... come on buddy, do you really think i'm 5 and own my phantom since yesterday?

When you're at this point you're supposed to be ready to shoot. I mean when you cock the gun it is to fire it up, not to shake it, nor even to run with (even if it can happens sometimes).
Moreover you are always supposed to fire it with the hand on the pump (even when you're moving! so you're ready to kill), keeping it forward, otherwise you'd loose consistency (a 20ish fps from my experience). Plus if you don't, sometimes it won't shoot at all because the trigger group won't hit the sear.

To avoid what you say, tell you what: i just let the bolt o-ring on. Take off all your springs, cock and keep your pump forward, you'll notice that this ring is stucking into the body just in front of the feedport. I have already played without it, to lighten the pump stroke to the max. Put it back after a while though... it was too much.

This being said, let me tell you what was my last issue.
I was like "d***, how come the pump stroke is so hard today"? When cocking backward, everything's just fine but when going forward the hammer and bolt were forcing inside the body. Thus i was pretty low when auto-trigging and my left arm was warming.
In fact they weren't lined up properly. It was due to the TPC which was flush to the bolt (still dont know why but Mike said it's ok). Turned it clockwise about 2 turns, which put the two parts right in line, and then it was finally back to the smoothness you describe. Haaaaaa... love it, I just LOVE IT.

So this is all about personnal matters and preferences. I like to play this way, you don't: fine!

This being said, back to the topic, i'm still claiming that it's the best/cheapest/quickest/first mod to do if you want to lighten the pump stroke.

Last edited by RaSs_FR; 12-08-2009 at 10:23 AM.
RaSs_FR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:19 AM   #14 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Find a lighter return spring. I found one; it's just barely heavy enough to keep the pump forward when it's cocked. I don't notice a difference in the pump stroke.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaSs_FR View Post
Lol... come on buddy, do you really think i'm 5 and own my phantom since yesterday?

When you're at this point you're supposed to be ready to shoot. I mean when you cock the gun it is to fire it up, not to shake it, nor even to run with (even if it can happens sometimes).
Moreover you are always supposed to fire it with the hand on the pump (even when you're moving! so you're ready to kill), keeping it forward, otherwise you'd loose consistency (a 20ish fps from my experience). Plus if you don't, sometimes it won't shoot at all because the trigger group won't hit the sear.

[...]

So this is all about personnal matters and preferences. I like to play this way, you don't: fine!
When you state something as fact, you shouldn't later say thats it's your opinion.

But its all about personal matters and preferences.
FORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:03 PM   #16 (permalink)
Corp Por, Kal Vas Flam

Quote:
Originally Posted by barweezy View Post
Thanks everyone for all the info. I'm buying used so hopefully it's already broke in. One last question though, I browsed and searched the forums, and I was wondering if you can tap the back of the existing body for a gauge. The new ones are black and I'm going to want to keep the acid wash anno matched. Thank you again for the help.
back gauge is totally un-necessary...if you are using 12g CO2 its not going to be a empty/full gauge until the 12g is almost empty. I feel that drilling/tapping a nice anno body will only lead to regret.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:50 PM   #17 (permalink)

Yeah it sounds like it's definately not worth it. Thanks for the reply souz. I'll be taking a look at said phantom in about a week, I'll try to post pics when I get it.

My input for the argument above... with my sniper, I always recock after I shoot and sometimes run around quite a bit before taking my next shot. If you wait before you are ready to shoot to chamber a ball, it's usually too late. As far as the sliding internals go though I have no clue.

Last edited by barweezy; 12-08-2009 at 02:55 PM.
barweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:01 PM   #18 (permalink)
Ghost with the most

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Power Send a message via MSN to Phantom Power

You'll probably want a return spring.
Phantom Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:32 PM   #19 (permalink)

I personally like the return spring on mine, but honestly haven't played without it to compare. I never really felt a need to remove it. It all boils down to personal preference in the end regardless. I do have the new CCI undercocking kit by Mike on mine and love it. The pump kit feels solid and doesn't wobble as reported with some of the Wevo kits. Like stated before though it doesn't really change the pump stroke more than it mildly changes how you pump the marker. I can get a finger on the front of the pump handle which allows for a nice snappy stroke IMO. Still nothing like a smooth stroke on a sniper though, but I play with a horizontal feed so auto triggering isn't something that comes in to play with my playstyle.
xX TANK Xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:21 AM   #20 (permalink)
Cloud Cuckoolander

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
i put a layer of dow 33 on the rod and triflow in the cocking slot and a bit on the bolt.
Triflow is great stuff

The Llama Cavalry Has Arrived!!!
I'm a PC, and LINUX was my idea!
Timmycuddler is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI