mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 12-07-2009, 06:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

New to phantoms. Pump stroke?

I want to buy a phantom to try true sc, but I've heard the pump stroke is really rough(exageration i'm sure). Im used to cocker pumps, I shoot a ccm'ed prostock right now, and the last non-sniper pump I shot was a BE tigershark in the late 90's. I went to the shop here on o'ahu to check one out and they had carters-not for sale, and no phantoms. They told me just to order one... I guess what I want to know is if a phantom's stroke would bother me after using snipers? It seems to me like it wouldn't matter since you lose sight picture to roll it forward and re-cock anyway, right?
barweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Yngling Half troll

Send a message via AIM to EDDAKA Send a message via MSN to EDDAKA

It's definitely heavier, and not as smooth at first.

But it's not something to really whine about. You are after all shooting stock class so it's not that big of a deal to have a super smooth pump stroke.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

cool thanks for the info. I found a vsc on a local board for $200, silver/blue acid wash and an matching extra body with vert feed. I think ill pick it up, anything specific to look out for, or just gas it up and dry fire?
Old 12-07-2009, 08:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
All in

Brass N Wood Fan
You just have to clean it up and put a drop of oil on the moving parts, the hammer and the bolt. But if you know its previous owner and how much he takes care of his gear, then i guess you're good to go.

The first and cheapest tip: see that spring that goes around the pump arm? Remove it and that will be a lot smoother then.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaSs_FR View Post
The first and cheapest tip: see that spring that goes around the pump arm? Remove it and that will be a lot smoother then.
Does the pump stay locked forward? I had to put a spring on my ccm kit cuz it kept sliding back and double feeding, I dont like holding the pump handle when I'm moving from bunker to bunker.
I apologize for all the questions, but I havent even held a phantom. I just know that everyone who owns one loves it, and I want another pump
Old 12-07-2009, 10:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Send a message via AIM to Greenmtnphantom Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
When you get one try it out, if you want a lighten pump stroke remove the pump return spring but I have never been bothered by it. Phantoms are great guns.
Since this thread started with boobs what are we supposed to derail it with?
Mega Z for sale: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/m...el-mega-z.html
Stock class = 12grams and a stick feed. End discussion.
Greenmtnphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
All in

Brass N Wood Fan
Don't worry about it, there is the main spring behind the bolt. You already got to force against that spring when you cock. That's why the pump return spring is too much in my opinion.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

the phantom stroke certainly takes some getting used to - but if you're running stock class then you have time to think about and fully pump each time.

I left the return spring on mine
brycelarson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
Hail VELCOR

A Phantom is like a well made pair of boots .....at first the Boots/Phantom are stiff and not very comfortable but after a little wear and tear your new boots/Phantom fit like a glove. In other words your phantom may need to be broken in.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for all the info. I'm buying used so hopefully it's already broke in. One last question though, I browsed and searched the forums, and I was wondering if you can tap the back of the existing body for a gauge. The new ones are black and I'm going to want to keep the acid wash anno matched. Thank you again for the help.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI