mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 01-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #21 (permalink)
meatballs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmtnphantom View Post
I know I know this is an older thread, to bad it's an older gun and relevant.

Just picked up two of these as loaners.

Interestingly enough they have Trracer style valves with the Power tube integrated into the Hammer. Still Breech drop in front like a Phantom though. It gives me some ideas. I'll post back if I ever follow up on them.
Thats odd. I got two raiders and one phantom, and mine uses the same internal design. Maybe yours are a newer/older system. Does the trracer style valve eliminate the binding issues?
broder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:34 PM   #22 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Send a message via AIM to Greenmtnphantom Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
I've only tested to make sure they work so far but I didn't notice any issues with binding.
I don't so much make money, as provide a conduit for it's movement.
Stock class = 12grams and a stick feed. End discussion.
Greenmtnphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #23 (permalink)
Meek wizard

Send a message via ICQ to Ghostpilot Send a message via AIM to Ghostpilot Send a message via Skype™ to Ghostpilot

The Raider I have, had a similar looking hammer and bolt to a phantom, with the little exception that all edges were sharp with no trace of a radius or chamfer.
I wonder if the ones you picked up there are home patched or just another version of the Raider. Could you share a picture maybe?
Old 01-23-2012, 06:57 PM   #24 (permalink)
MCB Member

I would tend to agree with Ghost Pilot as the raider came out long before the Trracer and Fast Eddie would not have been able to copy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Furious View Post
You'll have a tough time finding a nicer group of people on the internet(even if our opinions all suck).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalsilence View Post
I've dealt with canadians several times and I usually undercharge by 2-5 dollars cause I feel bad for them sometimes. Just my 2cents.

feedback http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...k-big-jim.html
big jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:33 PM   #25 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Send a message via AIM to Greenmtnphantom Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
I've been accused of being a lot of things, a photographer has never been one of them.

On closer inspection, judging from the variations in them the hammers do seem to be a DIY job. The valves seem more consistent though, they weren't done at home I don't believe so anyway.

Last edited by Greenmtnphantom; 01-24-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:34 AM   #26 (permalink)
Meek wizard

Send a message via ICQ to Ghostpilot Send a message via AIM to Ghostpilot Send a message via Skype™ to Ghostpilot

Quote:
On closer inspection, judging from the variations in them the hammers do seem to be a DIY job. The valves seem more consistent though, they weren't done at home I don't believe so anyway.
The picture isn't too clear, but I think i see that the stem of the powertube has been turned, or at least it looks that way. Maybe someone turned a Trracer powertube down to fit a raider valvenut hole.
The hammer looks like a D.I.Y. job, but it's hard to see in the pictures. By the way, is the hammer made from aluminum? It looks so judging from the colour and the way it reflects light.

What is left do do now, is to determine if this is an improvement to the existing design or just a quick fix for a missing original hammer and powertube.
No binding tendencies you say? Interesting.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:39 PM   #27 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Fan of EMR
For some reason only one of the pictures I put up showed up, I fixed that so you have some other angles now. I'm in hopes to do some testing this weekend.

If the PT was turned down they did a good job, all marks I can find seem consistant with normal wear and sitting.

Hammers "feel" like aluminum, Judging from the fact that one "hammer PT" is much different in ID and wall thickness than the other I would definitely say it's a DIY job there.

As before mentioned, I've only test fired so far but no binding problems yet, I'll get back to you beginning of the week after I test some more.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:18 PM   #28 (permalink)
Meek wizard

Quote:
If the PT was turned down they did a good job, all marks I can find seem consistant with normal wear and sitting.
You are right. When I wrote that only one picture was showing.
I can see now that it seems untouched by tools apart from when it was initially made.

On the new pictures I see that the hammers look a lot like my Raider hammer with the exception of the "snout" thing. Not a chamfers nor radii to be seen anywhere on it.
It looks to mee that only the actuall hammer is homemade. Maybe the original hammer was damaged and the previous owner reused the hammer latch, spring and pivot pin and made a new hammer body.
If it is made from aluminum you should feel that right away from the weight. Aluminum is light compared to steel (as the original hammer is made of). I was surprised when I saw that the hammer on my Raider wasn't made from stainless, but from slightly higher grade tool-steel of some sort. Possibly heat treated too. I didn't expect that kind of material when the exterior was lacking all kinds of chamfer and radii on the edges. Somehow it doesn't make sense to use a high quallity material if you aren't going to bother to machine it accordingly.

Last edited by Ghostpilot; 01-25-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Ghostpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:48 AM   #29 (permalink)

GreenMt, did you by any chance pick up your Raiders from a guy on here named "Fig?"

...because I've got 4 Raiders from Fig that I'm working on restoring, all of which have had terrible corrosion problems that I'm dealing with. One is back in working order already, though.

Like your gun, they have Trracer-style short powertubes and aluminum Trracer field strip grip frame screws.

The worst rusting problems I'm dealing with are instances where the hammer's integral powertube has badly corroded to the point that it fuses with the the bolt's velocity adjuster, locking the bolt and hammer together. Other than the springs and triggers, the rest of the internals, as Ghostpilot pointed out, are made of higher-grade steel that hasn't rusted, making me wonder if the powertubes in the hammers were retrofitted by the previous owner and thus made of lower-grade steel.

And to clarify, Raiders and Phantom barrels are NOT compatible.

Last edited by The Inflicted; 02-02-2012 at 12:57 AM.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:11 AM   #30 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post
GreenMt, did you by any chance pick up your Raiders from a guy on here named "Fig?"

...because I've got 4 Raiders from Fig that I'm working on restoring, all of which have had terrible corrosion problems that I'm dealing with. One is back in working order already, though.

Like your gun, they have Trracer-style short powertubes and aluminum Trracer field strip grip frame screws.

The worst rusting problems I'm dealing with are instances where the hammer's integral powertube has badly corroded to the point that it fuses with the the bolt's velocity adjuster, locking the bolt and hammer together. Other than the springs and triggers, the rest of the internals, as Ghostpilot pointed out, are made of higher-grade steel that hasn't rusted, making me wonder if the powertubes in the hammers were retrofitted by the previous owner and thus made of lower-grade steel.

And to clarify, Raiders and Phantom barrels are NOT compatible.
Yes I did.

Mine are modified the same as yours, the only corrosion issues I have are the springs, everything else just needs a little cleaning not a big deal.

I'm sorry I haven't gotten everyone more info on this I have been dealing with more pressing matters and can only steal away a minute her or there for paintball. Soon I promise.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI