mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 09-28-2011, 03:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Phantom/Empire Trracer hybrid. What has science done?!?

Almost as soon as the new Trracer was announced, people were wondering to what degree was the gun compatible with the old Trracer, and for that matter with the Phantom. Phantom compatibility interested me greatly because I had recently bought a Phantom and had never been completely happy with the affordable barrel/accessory choices out there. When I had the opportunity to try out the new Trracer on the field one day last spring, I was instantly sold and had to have it. The tinkerer in me had to know though, was it Phantom compatible? I had one of each gun, so I just had to try crossbreeding them.

There are some obvious differences, the Trracer being a bore-drop Nelson and the Phantom still carrying the torch for breech-drops, but when I compared the grip frames and valve bodies there really wasn't a whole lot of difference. The rear grip frame screw of a Phantom obviously will match its own valve body and the forward grip screw hole looked like it might actually be matching up. Unfortunately, the two just didn't want to thread up. After an extended brain fart I realized that the problem wasn't the spacing, it was the threading. Phantom grip frame screws are actually made in two different threads; the rear frame screw is 10-32, like both frame screws on the Trracer, but the forward frame screw is 8-32, slightly smaller. The hole in the Phantom frame was juuust a little too narrow for a 10-32 screw to fit through, so step one was to use a 6/16" drill bit to open it up a little.

Success! That was all it took to get the Phantom frame to bolt up to the Trracer body. All I had to do was add a pair of thin washers to the screw to keep it from going too far into the Trracer body and digging into the bolt.

Annoyingly, the gun wasn't working yet. Using Trracer guts with the Phantom frame, the hammer was grabbing the bolt, even without gas, but as soon as the pump was brought forward the sear would be automatically tripped and the hammer would be released. I figured out this was due to the difference in the two hammers' sears; the Trracer's sear stuck down noticeable further than the Phantom's. Using the Phantom's hammer was out of the question because it's design is too different to interface with the Trracer's bolt. Since I had a spare Trracer sear, all I needed to do was to grind down the contact surface of the sear until it was high enough that the Phantom trigger wouldn't release it prematurely. I found that the stock sear was about 8.3mm high at the relevant point, so I commenced to grinding.

...and when I got to about 8mm dead, the trigger started acting just fine. It's not releasing early anymore, but it also won't autotrigger, nor is it locking the pump in place once the gun is cocked, like the Trracer does. Certainly usable though, and I suppose due to the difference in the Trracer and Phantom power tubes, the gun is still cocking with or without gas. I haven't had a chance to put paint through it or chrono it with any combination of springs, and I'm not sure when I'll have the chance, but what I do know is that everything is functioning and locking correctly, so I think we can call this a successful build. Looking back, it was actually very simple to do.

Can't wait to play with this thing!

Most preposterous Trracer ever?

The Inflicted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pumps in the Woods

Brass N Wood Fan
I've never seen such blasphemy, but i applaud it. Its the phrracer or tratom

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"Make (your attacker) advance through a wall of bullets. I may get killed with my own gun, but he’s gonna have to beat me to death with it, ‘cause it’s going to be empty." Clint Smith

volunteer paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quick question. Why did you modify the trigger frame that had a unique anno to the Phantom rather than buying a black one that would have matched the rest of the Trracer in the first place? Also, what barrel options would you be looking for anyway? Freak bored CCI barrel and done. Nothing else is needed. If the answer to both of these is "Because I could." then that's okay too. Just wondering.
KevinLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

ITS AN ABOMINATION!! Kill it with FIRE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinLG View Post
Quick question. Why did you modify the trigger frame that had a unique anno to the Phantom rather than buying a black one that would have matched the rest of the Trracer in the first place? Also, what barrel options would you be looking for anyway? Freak bored CCI barrel and done. Nothing else is needed. If the answer to both of these is "Because I could." then that's okay too. Just wondering.
My guess would be that modification needed for the frame wasnt very big one. He just widened the screw hole a bit. Should still work perfectly fine with a phantom body. If anything, it would be an upgrade

Last edited by -=ArchAngel=-; 09-28-2011 at 04:56 PM.
-=ArchAngel=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

Never been a fan of freak inserts because they're from Smart Parts and would not be practical for breech-loading First Strike rounds, which is what I like using my Phantom for.

As for the trigger frame, it was the only one I had. I wasn't about to shell out $50 for a trigger frame just for an experiment, and that's before we get into buying a valvebody, vertical adapter, etc. Finally, it's not like modifying the trigger frame effected its functionality or anything. It took about 10 seconds with a power drill. The only lasting effect is that the forward grip frame screw no longer stays locked between the grip frame and the vertical ASA, which is actually kind of nice because now I won't have to remove those annoying vertical ASA mounting screws again when I want to use my undercocking kit.
The Inflicted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Let us know how it shoots when u get a chance. Im guessing it'll be ultra smooth and more efficient.
-=ArchAngel=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

I applaud your ingenuity and resourcefullness.
Yes, it is a bastard child of an unholy union, but I like it!
(I'm sorta doing the same with a TAG and a Bushmaster)
THE-SHOOTIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-SHOOTIST View Post
I applaud your ingenuity and resourcefullness.
Yes, it is a bastard child of an unholy union, but I like it!
(I'm sorta doing the same with a TAG and a Bushmaster)
Not the TAG!!!
Old 09-29-2011, 12:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
chuff chuff

Interestingly hideously unnecessary!
Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Backard Engineer Special

I kinda dig it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
The prototype is usually the hardest - then come the refinements then the ooohs and the aaaahs but they are always preceded by the !#@!@#! and the !#!!#@!% and the GAAAAAAHS
slinger is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI