mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 10-07-2011, 12:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Stock CCI Phantom Barrel - integrated "muzzle-break" FAQ

For all these years I have used my phantom and in countless conversations with mike I have never asked about it.The tip on the stock phantom barrel is the only internally modded (or fluted??)barrel I think.Is this contributing to accuracy??I have always mean't to try the stock cci barrel out on another platform but never have.
Thoughts??
casper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

The first Phantoms weren't 'relieved' or ported in any way.

Historically, it was found that when a slip-on muzzle brake was installed on your gun, it allowed the ball to 'hook less at the end of its flight'. Did it actually do this? After serious experimentation, I found that it actually did, and used a muzzle brake on my Phantom all the time. Muzzle brakes became all the rage, and everyone was putting one on their gun. Then came porting.....

A couple companies 'claim' to have been the 'First' to offer ported barrels, most notably Smart Parts. These ideas seem to spring up all at the same time, so whoever gets to the patent office is credited, despite the fact that others may have been doing it experimentally months or years prior.

Pollard Associates: Steve Pollard was a member of the 1987 New Hampshire Wild Geese World Championship team. There were SEVERAL very clever and innovative machinists on this team. Jim Anderson, invented the 'Short Change' lever operated plunger which was designed to fit into the Daisy trigger frame of the NelSpot 007. This invention had a lot to do with the Geeses' championship. Jim also made muzzle brakes for everything.

Steve Pollard left the team and ventured out on his own in late '88. He began experiments with small amounts of ports in the barrels of his guns, the 'Vulcan' and the 'Triton'. Very few of these unique Bushmaster clones were made. They're easily identified by the muzzle of the barrel was cut on a 45* angle. The trigger frame had a 'brass knuckle' sort of hand guard rather than a trigger guard, and the pumps were crazily milled. The barrels also sported 3 to 4 holes of increasing diameter, which were counter-sunk for aesthetic effect on either side of the muzzle. These preceeded the spiral drilled Phantom Unibodies which Smart Parts released several months later.

Smart Parts bodies were real Phantom bodies from CCI, which were drilled spirally from just in front of the pump handle to the muzzle, polished and (their quote not mine) covered with the 'Smart-Tuff Coating' which was claimed to be some sort of "Miracle Lubricating Coating" which allowed you to shoot father, and 'shoot your bore clean' if you had a break in the barrel.

Did it do this?

Well they were VERY quiet, almost no signature whatsoever when you shot them. The porting it was claimed, allowed the venting of the bore infront of the ball, making longer, straighter ball flights. The porting also allowed any rain to enter the barrel, ruining any benefit of the porting. Muzzle brakes did the same without allowing any rain into the barrel (!?)

After Smart Parts released the Phantom bodies, they began making barrels for anything with a removable barrel, all with their 'Patented Spiral Porting' and the 'Miracle Smart-Tuff Coating'.

WGP also began porting some of their stock barrels, and other barrel makers jumped on the bandwagon, J&J, ACI, TASO, as everyone wanted a 'ported' barrel.

Mike Casady, being the extremely intelligent man that he is, looked into all this porting and found it robbed you of shots per ounce, that it was detrimental in inclement weather, and that a muzzle brake would do the same without any negative effects. In other words, he didn't give in to the HYPE.

He simply experimented, and built an integrated muzzle brake in his barrel. Others followed his lead (LAPCO) to some degree.

I apologize for this long-winded post, and I hope it offers an explanation of your question.

Last edited by CaptainAmerica; 10-08-2011 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Just added a few carriage returns.
THE-SHOOTIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
RUN IT ON LIQUID!!!

Wow!! And now I know.....And knowledge is power!!!

MCB Feedback
resistance16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJOttawa View Post
Shootist: that is one of the most interesting posts I've read on the topic. Thanks for taking the time.
No, thank you CJ!
Old 10-07-2011, 11:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Nice post Shootist! I always enjoy reading post by you old school guys in the know!
sniper97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
ant
Hell in a handbasket

Thanks for the info, I've been wondering about that for a while. As to whether porting effects effeciency, there's no argument that excessive porting ( porting that begins before the ball reaches max velocity in the barrel) would effect efficiency, surely on longer barrels a good compromise wolud be reached between longer, straighter filghts; efficiently and sound signature? In the same way that a muzzle brake would be more advantageous in shorter barrels.

That was a question by the way.....:-)

When confused, when in doubt,
Run in circles, scream and shout
ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 03:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

Damn Shootist. That post just made my day. Very informative and very interesting post.
-=ArchAngel=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
The Man With No Plan

CCM Fan
PBN Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-SHOOTIST View Post
that it was detrimental in inclement weather
mike is 20 min out of portland oregon....

inclement weather is 300 days a year

less porting the better around here!
super_stanchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Send a message via AIM to Greenmtnphantom Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
I was curious so I sent Mike an email. The grooves in question on the ID between the ports are, according to Mike, to cut down on the "pop" of the ball leaving the barrel.
Since this thread started with boobs what are we supposed to derail it with?
Stock class = 12grams and a stick feed. End discussion.
Greenmtnphantom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant View Post
Thanks for the info, I've been wondering about that for a while. As to whether porting effects efficiency, there's no argument that excessive porting ( porting that begins before the ball reaches max velocity in the barrel) would effect efficiency, surely on longer barrels a good compromise would be reached between longer, straighter flight; efficiently and sound signature? In the same way that a muzzle brake would be more advantageous in shorter barrels.

That was a question by the way.....:-)
After much study 'back in the day' it was found that the IDEAL barrel length was between 10 and 12 inches. Despite the fact that 14 inches were very popular, and some companies were offering 16 and 18 inch barrels.

I'm sure you could guess that the debate went on and on, but thankfully there was no internet back then, so arguing took place at the speed of government.

Some of the debate went so far as stating that a 14 inch ported barrel was about 8 inches long, with a 6 inch muzzle brake built in.

Truly, it all depends on the individual. Does the 'Micro Phantom' have less range as one with a 14 inch barrel?

Do you lose 4 or 5 shots on a 12 gram because you use a heavily ported barrel from another manufacturer?

Does anyone really care?

If you're really 'into' Stock play, you'll want the maximum number of shots off a 12 gram. You'll tinker and tinker and hope for that magical 60 shots. Maybe you'll get, maybe not.

If you're into 'open-class' auto-triggering pump paintball slinging duels on an airball court, you'll be looking for a 14 inch barrel so you can tuck into that Dorito or Temple a little tighter. You'll be running a 45/45 so shots per fill isn't that important.

It's all about what the individual wants on their gun, and the individual's playing preference.

Personally, I use an 11 inch for just about everything.

Last edited by CaptainAmerica; 10-08-2011 at 11:07 PM.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI