mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 10-12-2011, 02:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Meek wizard

Send a message via ICQ to Ghostpilot Send a message via AIM to Ghostpilot Send a message via Skype™ to Ghostpilot

Detent mods.

I have seen plenty of detent mods done on phantoms in various ways.
Most of them seem to go the route of the Grey Ghost style detent held in place by the feed block from the top but there are also those that have the detent sticking up from the bottom or those few more exotic variations.

From the bottom detent mods:
A fellow MCB member made this one with an unknown rubber detent held by the frame
From the bottom, held in place by the frame
AirSoldiers take on the from the bottom mod, using regular orings in milled slots.
From the bottom using fishing line.

From the top detent mods:
A nice photo walkthrough of a from the top detent mod using timmy detent.
From the top using a Spyder detent.
From the top using EGO detent.

I guess the different detent mods all have up- and downsides to them, but from a recball/woodsball point of view, which one would you guys favour, if any?
From the top VS from the bottom may or may not result in altered ball arcs due to the detents putting spin to the balls as they pass. That has yet to be put to the test in a scientific way.

A problem I see with going with the "from the top" version is that it is more or less limited to a centerfeed SC body with SC feedblock to hold it in place. While the from the bottom versions are independet of the kind of body used. I even saw one that drilled out a hole for a detent on the rim of the threaded section of the barrel, that then sat on the barrel while screwed into the body. (lost the link to it though)

I am in the planning phase of a massive phantom modding spree. The paintball season is short here in Sweden, at least if you want to use green clothing to camouflage yourself. So in the autumn and winter, I turn to modding and tinkering. I wanted to hear what you guys have to say about the detent mods for phantom.

Last edited by Ghostpilot; 05-07-2013 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Spelling and spelling right is NOT the same
Ghostpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Send a message via AIM to Greenmtnphantom Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
I have the ASP (AirSoldier) detent in my Ditto Deuce.

Works really well. I've never double fed and the only thing that has ever rolled out of it was a reball.
Since this thread started with boobs what are we supposed to derail it with?
Stock class = 12grams and a stick feed. End discussion.
Greenmtnphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Simple mind - beware

I did the spyder detent mod on my phantom a couple years ago. Works great.
Haven't had any ball breaks or noticeable spin on my shots. Still shoots dead on target each and every time (paint quality pending of course).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvik View Post
9 times out of 10, it's an electric razor. But sometimes...

it's a dildo.
Me Feedback
Chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Meek wizard

Send a message via ICQ to Ghostpilot Send a message via AIM to Ghostpilot Send a message via Skype™ to Ghostpilot

So maybe the "spin-factor" of the detent is not noticable enough to make a difference. Then it all comes down to if you want to be able to switch body on the phantom or not when choosing where to put the detent mod.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Stock class SPAM

I use the ASP in two of my phantoms and it works great. I did have a few roll-outs using Evil tourney paint and a .688 DYE barrel. Otherwise that was it! Since changing that paint its been perfect! The only real problem is remembering about the two o-rings in the breech when taking apart and putting the marker together. I bought a ton of extras though in case I loose one and they are readily available from any hardware store.
808Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Backard Engineer Special

Asp detent here. Works great.

Orings readily available and cheap compared to spyder or ego detents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
The prototype is usually the hardest - then come the refinements then the ooohs and the aaaahs but they are always preceded by the !#@!@#! and the !#!!#@!% and the GAAAAAAHS
slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Nihilistic Mystics

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808Jackal View Post
I use the ASP in two of my phantoms and it works great. I did have a few roll-outs using Evil tourney paint and a .688 DYE barrel. Otherwise that was it! Since changing that paint its been perfect! The only real problem is remembering about the two o-rings in the breech when taking apart and putting the marker together. I bought a ton of extras though in case I loose one and they are readily available from any hardware store.
The 70 duro 006 sized o-rings you can find in a hardware store will work fine in a pinch, but with today's smaller paint, harder 90 duro o-rings work better, and as a last resort, hard Teflon o-rings (machined to fit) work as 'wedgits' to prevent rollouts. If anyone has an early ASP detent mod where I didn't include the now standard 90 duro o-rings and Teflon 'horseshoes', please drop me a line and I'll send you a set.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Backard Engineer Special

Pming you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
The prototype is usually the hardest - then come the refinements then the ooohs and the aaaahs but they are always preceded by the !#@!@#! and the !#!!#@!% and the GAAAAAAHS
slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
ant
Hell in a handbasket

Asp mod here too. Cannot fault it at all. Had it for about 6 months, no rollouts, no breaks after 2 cases of paint.

All the detents you listed are more or less the same as far as operation, its just how they're mounted or the shape of the detent itself (nubbin or oring) that changes. I seriously doubt that there would be any difference in performance. The only disadvantage i can see is as already stated in regards to top mounting. My sugesstion is to find the method that is easiest to produce with the equipment you have available.

When confused, when in doubt,
Run in circles, scream and shout
ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Meek wizard

Ant: I thought so too, but since I haven't actually seen any of these detent mods in real life, I had to ask people who has.

Last edited by Ghostpilot; 10-13-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Ghostpilot is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI