mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 11-14-2011, 03:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Igloo member

Questions Regarding Springs and Hammer Catching

Hello there MCB, I have a few questions for you gents.

I have a VSC phantom, it has a Tri fluted hammer inside, and I'v personally kept the internals clean.

I only have a small issue when I switch to HPA, at 270 FPS chrono speeds I seems to acquire a small issue that sometimes my Hammer, does not catch the sear

(to say the hammer, when pumped back catches the sear and waits for the person to pull the trigger releasing the hammer thus firing the marker would be correct?)

this results in me having to tilt my phantom and re cock it to get the hammer to catch.
Now the phantom is new, like new. under 5000 shots in for sure.

I only have the springs which came with it (both are silver) should I switch to using a lighter main spring when switching to HPA to compensate for the lower pressure that the tank operates as about 800 rather than 850 for C02

Also, I know you get use a larger power tube in combination with a lighter valve spring and heavier main to get a louder, but generally more efficient shot. Is there a way to do the opposite to quiet the phantom in sacrifice for efficiency? (as im using HPA losing 5-10% in shots isn't a issue)

Thanks guys!

Last edited by Eskimo; 11-14-2011 at 07:21 PM.
Eskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Walking without rhythm

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
On your first question. You should not need to change your springs if the pressure difference is only 50psi...You may just need to break the gun in a bit more?

Also I have noticed that my phantom is really quiet, running stock springs, and powertube. I would not want to reduce the powertube any further...however you can play with the springs to try and get a quiteter shot?

Mike sells a spring kit but with ony one spring that is lighter than the main, If you are lucky you can find an old Nelson spring kit that has a few more.

Others I am sure will chime in with more advice as well.
Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Serving Tea for CCM

Send a message via AIM to senghing27

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Going to ask the obvious to get it out of the way.

Are you sure that your tank is outputting 800 PSI?

Stock phantoms with stock springs should be able to hit playable velocity with no problem, regardless it be Co2/hpa.
~My Feedback~
senghing27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

When you pump back and the sear doesnt catch the bolt, does it leak a bit?
If it does, this means that there isnt enough force holding your valve closed while pumping. Thus the hammer would have too much space to move back into while pumping and not catch similar to how you cant cock your phantom when its not gassed up.
-=ArchAngel=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Igloo member

Stilgar and Senghing thanks for the info, I'm not to worried about it, My phantom does fine with the actual velocity, and I didn't notice the problem to much, maybe 1 in 8 shots does this. I am using stock springs, And I have a pressure gauge in my valve. so I can read to numbers directly.

Arch - I have not noticed a small leak. or spurt of air. But I have a tank so I'll Edit this with info in 5 minutes.

Just ran a few Dry fires, Had one do my issue which is
marker is pumped (No noticeable leak, did a few quick pumps, and a few slow where I held the pump arm back)
trigger is still slack, pulling has no effect

Re pump marker
Now able to fire.

I was thinking, Could it be the TPC Adjustment? when I switch to HPA I need to turn the TPC in a few times to get it back up to 270-280, if I turn the TPC in to much, could that change the situation?

Last edited by Eskimo; 11-14-2011 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Man With No Plan

CCM Fan
PBN Fan
how far in is your TPC?

if you have it too far in, it can prevent it from catching.

you could be on the very edge of the travel limit and giving you the sporatic catch
super_stanchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Igloo member

No way to gauge perfectly without a chronograph and some way to mark it for me to say how many turns, or how far away from flush its sitting.
However in the strings of shots which I just took My TPC was actually fairly far out (I'd say the velocity would be much closer to 220-230 to be honest as I have it close to flush with the face of the bolt)

Lets say it was mainly due to the TPC being threaded to far inwards.
If that would be the case what would be the next fix? Use a slightly lighter main spring?

Stunchy, Its actually your very pretty Purple Medic phantom.
Its Canadian now.

Last edited by Eskimo; 11-14-2011 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
The Man With No Plan

CCM Fan
PBN Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
No way to gauge perfectly without a chronograph and some way to mark it for me to say how many turns, or how far away from flush its sitting.
However in the strings of shots which I just took My TPC was actually fairly far out (I'd say the velocity would be much closer to 220-230 to be honest as I have it close to flush with the face of the bolt)

Lets say it was mainly due to the TPC being threaded to far inwards.
If that would be the case what would be the next fix? Use a slightly lighter main spring?

Stunchy, Its actually your very pretty Purple Medic phantom.
Its Canadian now.
if you did a harder spring, it would open the valve slightly longer and increase the velocity, you could put your tpc back to where you want it
super_stanchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Yes, use a harder mainspring. What is happening here is when you thread the TPC too deep, the spring can't compress completely, and holds the hammer and bolt apart.

By switching to a heavier mainspring, you should be able to get the same power, without having to thread the TPC so deep, which leaves room for the spring between the hammer and bolt.

The combination of fluted hammer and HPA is probably why you have to crank the TPC.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Igloo member

thanks guys, I have a harder mainspring on its way.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI