mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 02-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
CUSTOM USER TITLE

Velocity Consistency (Help!)

Since I got my phantom two years ago, I've been having consistency problems with paintball velocity.

Issue 1 is that I can't get the velocity above 260-270. I never break 300, that's for sure. Is this normal?

Issue 2 is that the velocity of the balls fluctuates up to 50 fps. Generally I will have one shot at 250fps, then 260fps, then 230fps...etc... it's ridiculous. How do I fix this?

I dont think this is standard for Phantoms. It's not enough to make me stop using it, and I still get some good shots, but I want my gun to be more damn consistent.

Any thoughts on what's wrong/how to fix?

NOTES: I have used a variety of air sources, starting with 12 grams, and now an HPA tank. I have tried vertical stock class and rear stock class. I take the marker apart, clean, and oil it regularly. I have tried two different lengths of stock barrels and a J&J ceramic. I adjust velocity often. The set screw is still in the bolt. I have two different bolt springs, the standard one and a red (HPA) one. No noticeable differences with any of this. Still underpowered and inconsistent.

LOOK I HAVE A SIGNATURE, TOO!
thelastmaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Take it all a part, re-lube everything, make sure you're not missing anything, make sure THE right spring is in. And all that normal stuff.
Slipknot666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Walking without rhythm

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
What valve spring do you have in there?

As for the velocity fluctuations it sounds to me like you are suffering from inconsistent paint that is not matched to your barrel.

Have you noticed any roll outs?

To help with the fluctuations I would suggest some kind of barrel kit. At minimum the detent rings to hold the ball in place. At best a full kit be it freak, flasc, or whatever. This will ensure consistent paint to bore match.

Next I would also suggest resetting your nylon grub screw just to be sure it is set properly. Take the TPC out of the bolt and screw the grub screw in until it just peeks through into the bolt. Then screw in the TPC it should be a little difficult but it will make sure the TPC does not move.

That should help with the consistency. The low velocity may be a result of the springs but if you sort out the paint issue that will help too.
Stilgar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

sounds like partial roll outs. Get a barrel kit with a smaller bore or get some barrel detentes.
Also, if you're gonna switch between gas sources, you'll have to respring your gun.
-=ArchAngel=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Paintballs Drunk Uncle

Send a message via AIM to Greenmtnphantom Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
Before you let us armchair quarterbacks spend your money for you ( I agree that issue two is partial rollouts)

Double check that theory, take 50 paintballs, put them in the threaded end of the barrel and see how far into the barrel they go.

Detent rings or a barrel kit are in my opinion a must for a Phantom.

Other than that I'd suggest working on solving issue 2 and then issue 1. Issue 2 may be the cause of issue 1.
Since this thread started with boobs what are we supposed to derail it with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum View Post
Someone ban that painthappy dude
Stock class = 12grams and a stick feed. End discussion.
Greenmtnphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

check the cupseal. I had low/irregular velocities on my phantom, replaced the cupseal, and that solved the problem. Take the cupseal out of the valve hat and flip it over to test it out--one side might be damaged, while the other might still be usable.

And as other people have suggested, break down your phantom entirely (including the valve assembly) and go over the parts with a fine tooth-comb. Are the springs cut?
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

In the world I see - you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying strips of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway.

Visit my Etsy store:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/crowsnestwampum
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Person

Like the others I immediately think of partial roll-outs. Best remedy in my opinion is to bore the barrel for inserts, it will eliminate roll-outs (at least if you underbore it slightly) and boost efficiency.
BEARFACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
CUSTOM USER TITLE

Thanks for your suggestions, guys, but I don't know that it would be (partial) roll outs. Since I talked to Mike and got his detent rings, balls dont roll out the barrel.

I am going to take the advice of resetting the nylon screw.
I will also take a look at the cup seal.

LOOK I HAVE A SIGNATURE, TOO!
thelastmaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Walking without rhythm

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
If the detent rings are not doing their job properly then you can also try electrical tape or nail polish.

What kind of paint are you using? and do you have any way to size them? If the paint is WAY under the size of your bore you may get some funny results...

Last, Where in Ontario are you? If your ever near the NCR drop me a line, a few of us here know too much about nelsons for our own good.
Stilgar is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI