mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 03-19-2012, 10:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Lapco #6 Destroying Cup Seals?

Has anyone else had problems with Lapco #6 Powertubes and a stock CCI cup seal assembly?

I used Locktite on the powertube threads when I first installed the Lapco PT, but yesterday when I was cleaning my Phantom, I was wiping off the powertube, and it just came straight out of the valve assembly. It had stripped the threads of the cup seal.

The stock PT and #6 threads are the same though, which is why I'm wondering how this happened. Any help/ideas to prevent this from happening again?
BassDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elven Pump SDM/DM

yep, I had problems with the LP #6 and stock CCI cupseals. It seems that the threads on the lapco p/t are a different length or there is a difference in spacing then on the CCI p/t. I found that even when I had the lapco p/t screwed into the valve hat nice and snug it would work its way out, very easily. Yours may have spun out during pumping, and then, even though it wasn't threaded in, everything was lined up and functional, but the resulting pumping action mashed the valve hats threads against the base of the p/t.

The only solution I came up with was to remove the cup seal eyelet (#12 on your phantom parts diagram). The eyelet is a small brass washer that normally prevents the base of the p/t from wearing against the cup seal too much. Without the eyelet the lapco p/t is able to engage enough threads not to back out on its own. I haven't tested this theory in game, but it was the best solution I could come up with. Look very closely at the CCI and lapco p/t's. Thread them into valve hats with and without the cupseal and you will see the difference I am talking about. It is extremely subtle and it is not surprising that it is assumed that the lapco #6 p/t is a drop in part in exchange for stock parts.

It's surprising that more people haven't encountered this issue for all the times I've heard people say a lapco #6 tube is an improvement over the stock.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

In the world I see - you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying strips of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway.

Visit my Etsy store:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/crowsnestwampum
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Phantom cupseals a proprietary thread pitch? I always thought that there were special "P" tubes for Phantoms, 6P would be a Lapco #6 for CCI guns.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elven Pump SDM/DM

yeah when I was referring to the the lapco#6, I meant the #6P. I dunno if the CCI p/t threads are proprietary or not, but I suspect you are right. And, while the lapco 6P threads are the correct pitch, there is a gap between the threads and the full diameter of the powertube on the lapco p/t that is every so slightly different from the cci p/t.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

In the world I see - you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying strips of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway.

Visit my Etsy store:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/crowsnestwampum
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

According to the ASP product page, the #6P is for undercut cup seals. I bought the #6 under this notion.
ASP Online Store: Lapco Powertubes

I have a Lapco cup seal too, but I have heard that since they are bigger, they may restrict air flow. And, it looks as if my cupseal may be undercut. Not really sure.

Legolas: Interesting. Glad to know I wasn't the same one with the problem. I will try your fix and see if it works.
BassDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

It's just your Phantom's way of telling you that the LAPCO part doesn't belong in that gun.

It's akin to your body rejecting a transplanted organ.
THE-SHOOTIST is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI