mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 03-30-2012, 12:03 AM   #11 (permalink)

What spring was that? Silver? That would make sense, just want to make sure.

Looking forward to what you come up with once you get the break beam chrono. I really need to buy a chrono for myself. Just so expensive...

Also, I bet a freak bored barrel would help your efficiency even more, maybe even allowing you to unscrew the TPC a bit while still hitting the same FPS range.
BassDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:12 AM   #12 (permalink)
Stock class SPAM

Nice! I'll be testing it out this Saturday then for sure! Gonna shoot for the 600psi range and see how it goes. I better check my springs again just in case I have the older light spring in there. Yeah also forgot that its a non-ported TPC. That makes a huge difference too!
808Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:13 AM   #13 (permalink)
Phantomaddict

All stock springs. I do have an ASP ported TPC which I have not installed yet. I am measuring the affects of each thing I add to the marker to see how each item changes the results. I also have an SSC fluted hammer on order and a spring kit on the way.

It would be pretty tough to convince me to go freak boring, I've had poor luck with barrel boring in the past. Too many breaks for too little payoff. I'd rather get little to no barrel breaks and excellent consistency as efficiency is less important than consistency to actual game play for me.

M
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:04 AM   #14 (permalink)
Foreign Eedjit

CCM Fan
I think BassDude is right about the lighter valve spring and my previous testing seems to support that. Before I swapped to the lighter valve spring, I was using a red main, stock hammer and stock valve spring. Velocity went up when going from 400 PSI to 500 PSI and seemed to plateau after that with only a slight decrease in velocity after around 650 PSI (crappy inaccurate micro gauges). Was getting 42 shots per 12g at 480 PSI, 275 FPS, with two dropped shots after that and then venting. I swapped to a lighter valve spring to offset the lighter fluted hammer. I haven't encountered any problems with venting or valve squeak due to the lower PSI or light valve spring yet.

Currently running:

Polished bolt
SSC Fluted hammer
ASP ported TPC, Three turns in
Red Maddman main spring
Light, non standard valve spring
Freak bored stock 11" barrel
480-490 PSI
285 FPS

Haven't tested efficiency yet, but will get to it eventually.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:27 AM   #15 (permalink)
Stock class SPAM

Hmm this is interesting. A softer valve spring might be the way to go with a hard main? I've got old school Nelson Spring kits available. Perhaps the stock spring with the yellow valve lighter one might work well at 480-500 PSI. I don't like to shoot past 280 FPS so the TPC shouldn't be far in. I might be underboring slightly with my Freak this week too as I have to share some of my inserts with new players LOL. Guess I will tinker with it now to get it to around 500 PSI then see.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:17 AM   #16 (permalink)
Stock class SPAM

Got it to 600 psi and played with a Red front and yellow back. Shooting targets I got 40 solid shots. In game it dropped off a bit as I was shooting very quickly. 35 or so? It was nice but a pain to tinker with before the game. People dont want to wait till you sweet spot it haha.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:52 PM   #17 (permalink)
Post Whore

do u know what fps you were shooting?
-=ArchAngel=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #18 (permalink)

Mine ended up sweetspotting at about 500 psi after all. Red main, stock valve.
I was getting 30 consistent shots off of a 12 gram in game, at about 275-280, which is exactly what I wanted. I may even turn it down a hair, to see if I get it at consistently 270ish. I didn't see how many shots I could get though. That will be my next thing to do, about 20 seconds in between shots just to see how many I can get above 200.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:15 PM   #19 (permalink)
Phantomaddict

How do you find the pump stroke weight with the red spring Bassdude?

I'm leaning towards using a lighter main spring to lighten the amount of force on the pump stroke. I suspect I would need a lighter hammer though to make that work if my understanding of the system is accurate...

Still haven't received my new chrono, grrrr...
Old 04-15-2012, 11:31 PM   #20 (permalink)

Well, I was using the stock (silver) main spring. I had to screw in the TPC a couple full turns. So, when I put the red spring in and had to screw the TPC in less, my reasoning was it's about the same pump stroke, with a different starting point. Does that make sense? It does in my head, but that doesn't always translate. Haha.

Anyways, the pump stroke is great. Polished internals help that, as well as the DT1 UC kit.

As for the lighter spring idea. If you lighten the hammer, you have to increase the spring tension. If there is less mass pushing against the PT, then you will need more spring power to achieve the same dwell time.

Off topic, but I also bought an FI Chrony. It's a little picky, but so far it's been a good investment I think. Not sure if a handheld radar chrono might have been the way to go. But alas, I have the Chrony now, and I'm pretty satisfied with it. I would suggest one thing though, and that is this:
F1 Chrony Upgrade
Great for low light or indoor situations, as the video title says.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI