mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 04-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
clc
Rec Poster

First day out with VSC

Spent the day playing only with my vsc and loved it! Some questions I got are 1) how durable are phantoms and 2) will it hurt my marker if I dump a 12 gram when its half full? Definitely need to work on my load out as that's what was holding me back for the day.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

As far as 2 goes. You can switch out 12 grams anytime you want, I do it when there is a lull in the fight.
Youngpump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elven Pump SDM/DM

1) its not a tippmann, so no using dirt as lube or using the marker as a hammer. Other than that, phantoms are incredibly durable, have great longevity, and when they do brake down the fix is often as simple as an oring or other small part.

2) unscrewing completely/half/partially full 12 grams from your marker will not permanently damage the gun. However, depending upon Velcor's favor, the venting of the freezing cold co2 may cause the oring and/or the puncture seal to freeze, crack and leak. cracked orings=leaks. So, you may want to try to wait until the 12g is empty or very nearly so. This takes time, practice and familiarity with your gun. Temperature and pressure can also affect how many shots/12g you get. Additionally not all 12g's are created equally: some have more co2 in them than others. So, there is no hard and fast rule about after how many shots to change your 12g. A generally accepted guideline is to change 12ies after approximately every 30 shots.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

In the world I see - you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying strips of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway.

Visit my Etsy store:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/crowsnestwampum

Last edited by Legolas; 04-07-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to esparzar Send a message via MSN to esparzar Send a message via Yahoo to esparzar

Quote:
Originally Posted by clc View Post
Spent the day playing only with my vsc and loved it! Some questions I got are 1) how durable are phantoms and 2) will it hurt my marker if I dump a 12 gram when its half full? Definitely need to work on my load out as that's what was holding me back for the day.
1. As long as you lube it up correctly and don't completely abuse it'll last you forever.

2. Shouldn't be an issue if you unscrew it quickly and don't let it sit on the marker. I've dumped a few full 12g's on accident and haven't had any issues. Unless you want to keep it VSC I would consider Compressed Air as the next "upgrade."
esparzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
clc
Rec Poster

Cool. I ask because I find myself grabbing the 12 gram charger while firing and accidentally twisting the wrong way, dumping half the 12 before I can twist it back in. My body mechanics are something I need to work on.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Buzz Killington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngpump View Post
As far as 2 goes. You can switch out 12 grams anytime you want, I do it when there is a lull in the fight.
they grow up so fast, just a few weeks ago i sent him my phantom that he bought, now look at him.

lol, but as for the reply to number 2, as soon as I see my shots start to dip (if I am in a big fight) i just switch out the 12 gram. I don't want to be caught in a bad situation with no air at all.

#SOSUNITEDSTATESCONSTITUTION
Scharfschutze91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Pump Dinosaur

the best answer to #2 in my opinion

call Mike at CCI and order

1 spare Pierce Pin assembly
10 spare Pierce Pin seals

while you are at it at some point

1 Power Tube Assembly
either a players kit or
1 ea spare thumb screw front/back
2 spare hex caps for the adjusting rod
1 ea hardness spare main and valve springs
1 extra hard line
1 extra compression sleeve (rubber seal + metal cover)
1 Bolt Assembly
1 Hammer Assembly
may sound like a lot of parts but put all that in a kit and you will always be fine on the field.

=P

my mcb feedback
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Phantomaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by clc View Post
Definitely need to work on my load out as that's what was holding me back for the day.
I recently picked up a pair of the PB Mafia wrist harnesses thinking they would hold me over to something else. After trying them out, I'm now thinking if I'm running stock class these would be all I need in a super light and tight package!

Most of the rec games around here are short 15-20 minute affairs and I can carry 2 12ies + 8 10rndrs not to mention a 12ie and either 10 or 15rnds on the Phantom at game start. I would never run through all those rounds in those game formats. For the price I highly recommend giving them a try!

M
Old 04-10-2012, 08:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharfschutze91 View Post
they grow up so fast, just a few weeks ago i sent him my phantom that he bought, now look at him.

lol, but as for the reply to number 2, as soon as I see my shots start to dip (if I am in a big fight) i just switch out the 12 gram. I don't want to be caught in a bad situation with no air at all.
I've already taken it out so Many times twice a weekend since u sold it to me and 2 times during the weekdays. I need more money for 12 grams
Youngpump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
****ing speak up Im deaf!

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngpump View Post
I've already taken it out so Many times twice a weekend since u sold it to me and 2 times during the weekdays. I need more money for 12 grams
Consider a 3.5 oz if your field fills co2. Or bulk order a bunch of Lelands from red rock distributing. Also, red rock fulfills orders through amazon that are eligible for prime shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talfuchre View Post
If you are not stalking - you are not showing love...
Feedback
Dr. VonDeafingson is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI