mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 04-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
The Millrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3adpool View Post
Can I has dibs? lol
Possibly, you've got one person in line before you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by short304 View Post
I 2nd this about the springfeed... The only thing I don't like about my spring fed Phantom (and the only reason I'm not having you do one for my Phantom Rifle) is reloading under fire can be hazardous But again, that's just my opinion... others my differ

Definitely cool work though Dan. I love that it gets it the drop out out of the way.
Turning it around so the 12 gram changer sits above the barrel and you have a 1" feedtube that uses a CCI feed gate is certainly possible, I've actually got some sketches of one designed in that manner.

As for progress on the current parts, I've got around 80% of everything done, some pieces still need countersunk and tapped and the changer needs turned on a lathe and some feed tube work, but other than that, it's about finished. You should be able to see how it'll go together from here. Once the changer is turned on a lathe and the ramp is cut the feed tube will slide over the end and be attached with two 10-32 screws from beneath the main mounting bracket. Then it'll mount to the two sight rail threads on the phantom valve body with two 6-32 screws that you'll be able to access with an allen key through the two 1/8" access holes where the 12 gram sits. The piece on the front is really just there to look nice and cover the original horizontal feed thread. Other than that, the feed tube and changer all sit pretty low on the phantom body, there's only 0.2" between the top of the phantom and base of the feed tube (I wonder if the pump handle will fit without modification, haha) and once it's attached, there will be no easily visible screws which should give it a nice sleek look once it's all said and done.

O'Lane

Last edited by O'Lane; 04-18-2012 at 04:37 PM.
O'Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Stock class SPAM

That's very sweet for a prototype! Clean and stylish! Even better is your positive reply on the feed tube hee hee. I figure you are going to use the CCI dropout knob as a base so if I get the lever changer from a PT extreme and get the ASP longer lever, things will be looking good for another project phantom. Noooo! My wallet can't take this!
808Jackal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilgar View Post
This is exciting!

Second thought, from experience. Phantoms do not like to have much of a space between the feed tube and the body. If the spacer allows for more than one ball to stack up ontop of the bolt, the second ball gets stuck in the feed tube and what results is chop city! If your spacer is really thin you shouldn't have a problem. If your feed tube is ramped in such away to facilitate the second and third ball in the stack to move backwards, then you shouldn't have problem either.

I really like this Idea though It would make for AMAZING rifles!
Stacking the balls with a SC feed is not the same as having a hopper ball stack. I have been using my raised feed for some time now & have had no more double feeds than the usual ones you get every so often with a normal cci one.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
The Millrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808Jackal View Post
That's very sweet for a prototype! Clean and stylish! Even better is your positive reply on the feed tube hee hee. I figure you are going to use the CCI dropout knob as a base so if I get the lever changer from a PT extreme and get the ASP longer lever, things will be looking good for another project phantom. Noooo! My wallet can't take this!
Your wallet will be fine, just resort to water and saltines for a food source for a few weeks. A lever changer is possible and I do have a PT Extreme lever on hand so wouldn't even need to ship it to me, save your wallet alittle, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
Stacking the balls with a SC feed is not the same as having a hopper ball stack. I have been using my raised feed for some time now & have had no more double feeds than the usual ones you get every so often with a normal cci one.
I think the problem of breaking/pinching paintballs with any kind of feed really stems from paintballs in the breech rolling forward. If a paintball rolls forward whether it be from spring tension (spring feed) or just small paint, it allows for the paintball behind it to drop partially into the breech, then when you push the pump forward your bolt will pinch the paintball partially in the breech resulting in the breaking or damaging of the paintball. Which if you only damage it, it could be enough to cause it to break on your next shot. Anyways, a modification like the ASP detent mod can help significantly in keeping the paintballs properly aligned and reduce the risk of breaking paint.

So I did do some thinking, and I think I'll make the current setup a rock back gravity feed and stick a CCI feed gate at the end of the tube. This is mostly because I dont like the idea of a forward feed spring feed, when I do a spring feed it'll have a rotating feed ramp so you can load it without having to reach toward the end of the feed tube to dump in paint. So regardless, I made a quick rendering of what it might look like without the CCI feed gate at the end, question is to make it a 15 or 20 round feed, right now I'm leaning toward 15. Ohh yeah, and the stock pump fits with about a 3/16" gap between it and the feed tube, looks nice.

O'Lane
Old 04-18-2012, 09:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
AKA "BlackGates-5"

WOW!... Well Dan, looks like we need to discuss this addition to my Project cuz that just looks Phantastic (mis-spelled purposefully ) I already had SSC make me a custom right side drop out but w/ that rock-back feed it would just look so much more clean... I love it man!
O-RINGS FOR SALE (EVERY SIZE! ANY QTY!): http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/m...110-115-a.html

My Feedback:http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

VOTE SLIM A:http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/m...ote-slims.html
short304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:05 PM   #16 (permalink)
Stock class SPAM

LOL my wallet cries out, "Why?"
808Jackal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:13 AM   #17 (permalink)
Walking without rhythm

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
I agree, in a hopper ball stack the balls have room to move up and out of the way. In a SC feed tube that is not ramped in some way, the first ball enters the chamber and rolls forward, the second tries to follow it and the third gets stuck between the top of the feed and the second ball effectively trapping that second ball in the chop zone.

If the feed has a ramp that promotes that third ball to move backwards and allow the second ball to move UP as the bolt comes forward, then there is no issue.

I just wanted to point that out so this issue can be addressed before it even becomes an issue. I don't want people to go through the same head ache I did with my feed. I eventually solved the problem by filing down the feed gate enough to let the feedtube sit almost flush, thus eliminating the stack.
Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:12 AM   #18 (permalink)
AKA "BlackGates-5"

Owning both a Redux (has considerable "chopping" problems if pumped incorrectly) and Aaron Lecain's Tactical Phantom which also has the issue of the stacked paint potentially chopping due to a considerable height gap between the feed tube and the breech, I can definitely concur that a "ramp" for the paint to roll back is an effective way to mitigate chopping.

Another thing I've found extremely effective is just a basic anti-double feed detent (like the ASP detent mod). I've got my roundhead body (w/ ASP detent mod) on the Tactical phantom and even w/ the spring feed I haven't had any issues w/ double feeding (previously I did w/ the Ego-detent mod done by the original owner)... So if the Ramp isn't a viable solution, the detent mod works well too...
O-RINGS FOR SALE (EVERY SIZE! ANY QTY!): http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/m...110-115-a.html

Old 04-19-2012, 11:38 AM   #19 (permalink)
The Millrat

Since were on the subject, and I honestly don't have a lot of experience with various horizontal feeds, what is a good style feed ramp to prevent chopping? I currently have the design drawn with a 0.75" radius acting as the feed ramp, would a straight angle be better though? What are all your thoughts?

Current Design:

Old 04-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #20 (permalink)
AKA "BlackGates-5"

Rrrgh... I wish I could see the pic right now... I'm on a government computer at work and they block pics unless it's an attachment on the page! (???) LOL... I'll look forward to looking at it when I get home tonight tho!

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI