mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 06-05-2012, 02:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Phantomaddict

Tri-fluted Hammer & Red Spring

Hi Folks!

Hope your paintball season is going well!

I recently received a new tri-fluted hammer (thanks to SSC.) I plopped them into my dialed phantom (shooting a very nice and stable 280-290 range with decent paint) with HPA and a Stab, TPC in 3 turns. Now I'm shooting 250-260 with odd inconsistency down to 240's... What gives? I haven't changed anything else.

My expectation was that it would shoot similarly but allow me to lower the stab pressure further from its current (around 550-600 psi.)

Maybe this setup is best suited to Co2?

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,

Michael
Old 06-05-2012, 12:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

If it's regulated, it shouldn't matter what kind of gas it is. 600 psi is 600 psi, no matter the air source.

You may have changed the sweetspot on the reg by adding the trifluted hammer. My Phantom is set around 500 psi with a triflute and a red main. Try lowering the PSI and go from there. Though, to be honest, a triflute isn't really necessary on an HPA Phantom. It's more for the stock class bunch.
BassDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Send a message via AIM to Greenmtnphantom Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
The hammer is fluted to reduce weight, less weight means less bounce and (all other things equal) less time the valve is open/less volume used per shot.

If you want to use the fluted hammer to lower your pressure you need to inrease the flow rate of the gas coming out of the valve.

Think about a lighter valve spring or a Power tube with a better flow. I'd suggest looking at the Leprechaun project thread as that is the direction that project has taken.
Since this thread started with boobs what are we supposed to derail it with?
Stock class = 12grams and a stick feed. End discussion.
Greenmtnphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

I agree with that, but there is an optimal pressure at which the valve operates. When I got my triflute in, I did the same thing. I Upgraded the pressure to 600, thinking the reduced weight means I need more air coming out of the valve.My chrono results were very low. So I Upgraded it even more, maxing out the stab. Guess what? Even lower. I actually had to back down the stab to about 500 psi. If you have too much pressure, the valve is closing again too soon because of the increased pressure behind it. That is what was happening in my case.

Anyhow, the worst you can do is try it. If it doesn't work, then hey, you are already at the sweetspot of your reg.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Phantomaddict

I'll give that a try fit sure thanks guys! I'll report back.

M
Old 06-06-2012, 04:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Foreign Eedjit

CCM Fan
My experience has been the same as BassDude's. If you drop you pressure to 500, or just under, you should be back up to 280 FPS easily. Greenmtnphantoms suggestion for a lighter valve spring and bigger power tube will also help. From personal testing A Lapco #6 power tube should gain you another 15 FPS at 500 PSI.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Lapco #6 did not work well for me. It kept destroying cup seal assemblies. Anyways, looking forward to seeing if backing off the pressure helped out.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Phantomaddict

I hate being the exception... Keep in mind I am not running an insert kit which is how I assume others are able to achieve different and better results. Ball size (or barrel size) makes a big difference to FPS as we all know.

Unfortunately turning down the pressure did not help. Turning the TPC in further did, however I'm using the new o-ring TPC and with the old set screw out a bit and the o-ring sitting further up the TPC, it limits how far I can turn in the TPC (seems like just over 3 turns before it gets loose.) At 4 turns in I got it up to 270 fps. So I could probably get it up to 280 at 5 turns in with the original TPC and the set-screw set-up at about 5-550 psi. Not sure its worth the PSI gain for the effort and the pain of dealing with the set screw...

I do have an iFit kit that I could use I suppose but I hate the more frequent ball breaks when using it... plus I'd need to purchase an 8" barrel to keep the overall length of the Phantom the same.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassDude View Post
My Lapco #6 did not work well for me. It kept destroying cup seal assemblies. Anyways, looking forward to seeing if backing off the pressure helped out.
There are two different Lapco powertubes. One is Phantom threaded, the other is Nelspot threaded. They aren't compatible with each other's cupseal assembly.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:38 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post
There are two different Lapco powertubes. One is Phantom threaded, the other is Nelspot threaded. They aren't compatible with each other's cupseal assembly.
See, I have heard that, but then I have also heard that the distinction just means it uses an undercut type cup seal while the other is meant for a normal cup seal. The thread itself is the same. My reference in this case is ASP:
ASP Online Store: Lapco Powertubes

However, this is off topic and not really relevant to the thread.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI