mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 06-13-2012, 07:03 PM   #11 (permalink)

I will add it to the list!
Kealda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Brass Mafia Wannabe

honestly, if you're doing stock class, you could probably get away with just a freak system. i like the asp body, but for stock class its not entirely necessary.

on my phantom, i have an asp body, freak kit, and a bobbed/gauged valve. that's all you really need to have a great gun. everything else is either personal choice or if you really want to try to play the efficiency game.
Leave me some feedback if you've dealt with me:
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
artguy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:43 PM   #13 (permalink)

This one will remain stock class so I may keep it simple. I'm mostly just fishing for good ideas. For open class my plan is to wait for the "Revolution" to begin.

Hey artguy63, I will be at splatterpark this sunday. Not sure of you get over there much or not but if you see an old guy with a green/black acid wash Phantom, say hello.

Last edited by Kealda; 06-13-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Kealda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
Brass Mafia Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kealda View Post
This one will remain stock class so I may keep it simple. I'm mostly just fishing for good ideas. For open class my plan is to wait for the "Revolution" to begin.

Hey artguy63, I will be at splatterpark this sunday. Not sure of you get over there much or not but if you see an old guy with a green/black acid wash Phantom, say hello.
Splatterpark is a hike for me, and the paint is somewhat questionable. If you can, come up to Pinnacle. We have a small group of dedicated pistol/pump players that are a good group of guys. You'd fit right in. PM me if you want more details or something.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
Snake

Brass N Wood Fan
iam also new to the Phantom marker itself as well as stock class all together thanks to The Inflicted.i wondering about a Freak or other type of insert barrel,Asp detent mod and a valve body Gauge.where and who makes them,on another note i would like to put a reddot sight on my Phantom but the rails the wrong size

blue bookhttp://www.mcarterbrown.com/bluebook/
SASBRANDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:20 PM   #16 (permalink)
Brass Mafia Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrpaintball View Post
iam also new to the Phantom marker itself as well as stock class all together thanks to The Inflicted.i wondering about a Freak or other type of insert barrel,Asp detent mod and a valve body Gauge.where and who makes them,on another note i would like to put a reddot sight on my Phantom but the rails the wrong size
asp makes the detent mod. google 'air soldier products'

for the freaks, either get a deadlywind, or have stanchy bore your barrel when he's taking work again. same thing for the valve body work.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:31 PM   #17 (permalink)
Snake

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by artguy63 View Post
asp makes the detent mod. google 'air soldier products'

for the freaks, either get a deadlywind, or have stanchy bore your barrel when he's taking work again. same thing for the valve body work.
iam having trouble finding the air soldier products detent mod,
what inserts would be best to get,

blue bookhttp://www.mcarterbrown.com/bluebook/
SASBRANDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #18 (permalink)
Brass Mafia Wannabe

ASP Online Store: ASP Phantom Detent Modification

all depends on what size paint you have for insert sizes.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:18 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrpaintball View Post
Mike (CCI) milled and sent me a gauged back body same day. Total cost was about $30.

IIRC, the bobbed valve helps with efficiency, but leaves less room for your CO2 to expand and you may see some consistency loss.

A gauge is a must on a phantom though, IMHO. I've had a few other pump players hassle me about having a gauge ("What's the point, that's stupid") ...And then promptly run out of air in the middle of an extended game, because they had no idea how much CO2 was left in their 3.5oz.

I've had pretty much every part made for the Phantom, and if I had to do it all over again, I would have bought a VSC, and put a Freak barrel kit on it. That's really your #1 upgrade.

The best shooting barrel I've ever had was the CCM carbon fiber with sizers, but unfortunately they're no longer made. The Deadlywind is excellent, though.

Last edited by fauxmulder; 06-22-2012 at 05:22 PM.
fauxmulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:26 PM   #20 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
I have always preferred simplicity and reliability in my markers; my only requirement of my stock guns is that they consistently shoot three tubes of paint on a 12 gram. I don't obsess over efficiency, thirty good shots is all I aim for.

With that in mind, I have the following thoughts:

Bobbed Valve - I used one for a little over a year on a VSC Phantom, was never happy with the performance. The extra couple of shots per powerlette were not worth the drop in consistency and the constant shoot-down problems (even when playing stock class).

Gauged Valve - It is my understanding that the liquid CO2 boils off and maintains constant pressure until it is almost empty. I have never seen the need for a gauge with CO2 but your mileage may vary.

Freak Barrel - This is really the high-end of Phantom upgrades, in my opinion. I could never tell any difference in consistency between shooting a Freak stock barrel vs. a stock barrel with CCI detents, but efficiency seems to be improved. I don't bother sizing paint anymore and have been running a 0.005" to 0.010" underbore for a few years now with great results. If you have the money or want your daily-shooter to really sing, invest in a Freak bored stock barrel with ty's brass insert(s).

ASP Mod - This is easily the best upgrade for the Phantom, and I would argue that it is just as suitable for a stock class gun as an open class gun. Any modification that ensures the same chambering position for each ball will improve consistency. I have both of my Phantoms ASP modded.

Internal Mods - I played around with different valves, hammers, bolts, etc., but I always kept going back to stock internals. They work without being finicky, are easy to repair/replace if it ever comes to it, and they do a great job shooting paint. If you are an efficiency nut you may get some results worth exploring though.

UC Kits - I tried a few kits over the years, notably the Wevo/CCI and Rainman kits. I always went back to the stock kit due to simplicity and reliability. It is almost impossible to get a secure fit using the single front screw mount, I often had the kit wiggle loose and, on a few occasions, had my Phantom fall apart in the middle of a game. This doesn't really suit my playing ideals so I have sworn them off unless it mounts to either the vertical ASA, either the mounting screws or the ASA itself (the Punisher Dually kits are quite nice if you can get your hands on one).

Really, the best Phantom you can get is one that Mike made. Anything else you do to it is just to suit personal preference and paint size.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI