mcarterbrown.com

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 09-18-2012, 08:16 PM   #31 (permalink)
Olde Basterd#2

CCM Fan
Kilt Fan
If you have an open compensator and your using the red spring you may want to try a softer spring. The air is hitting the ball dead on and you may have issues with brittle paint and or consistency. I would hazard a guess that your shooting hot with the way it's set up. I would get it on a crono ASAP to see. Feyd..............
Old 09-18-2012, 09:38 PM   #32 (permalink)
hth
Seasoned Member

I was shooting between 190-303fps, idk it sounds crazy to me too. I will screw the set screw in and try that. Also I'm running hpa on a red spring.
hth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:57 PM   #33 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hth View Post
I was shooting between 190-303fps, idk it sounds crazy to me too. I will screw the set screw in and try that. Also I'm running hpa on a red spring.
RUnning HPA with red mainspring the last few games. I have been having the same inconsistency issues but the field paint quality is not good at all so my issue is largely contributed to that. This weekend, however, i am going to replace the cupseal, tpc setscrew and all of the springs in hopes that it helps reduce some of the variance. I will let you know how it turns out and hopefully provide some helpful info :-)
Chris-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:47 PM   #34 (permalink)
hth
Seasoned Member

Sounds good! Apparently the bore I was using was too big (.684, yep wtf). Maybe going to a .681 will fix my woes
Old 09-27-2012, 09:41 PM   #35 (permalink)
Sidewinder Hoarder

@ Chris - have you tried running a blue main and green valve? I find phantoms in particular seem to work better with 650-700psi input, as opposed to 850, hpa. That might help, although paint quality is probably 1#
toymachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:39 AM   #36 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by toymachine View Post
@ Chris - have you tried running a blue main and green valve? I find phantoms in particular seem to work better with 650-700psi input, as opposed to 850, hpa. That might help, although paint quality is probably 1#
I only have a stock valve spring in my basic repair kit right now. Have not tried a blue mainspring but will certainly do that! My hpa tank outputs 700psi. Pretty sure the paint is #1 problem too but even with fresh Graffitti there are some issues so we'll see how the springs work. In-laws are visiting this weekend so hopefully I can sneak away to the paintball field at some point lol
Old 09-28-2012, 04:41 PM   #37 (permalink)
Sidewinder Hoarder

Yes, it probably is mostly paint. I didn't always understand this, but the more I play and learn about all things paintball, the more important quality paint becomes in terms of all around performance. Not that old cheap and/or free paint isn't fun, it's just that it can be (at times major) limiting factor no matter what gun you're using. Not that you don't already know this, just reiterating the wisdom of others more knowledgeable around here than I...

Yes, do buy yourself a maddman spring kit or something. It's not just that they're so inexpensive. A quality spring kit is truly one of the best aftermarket items, if not the best, for any phantom. Especially because then you can really play around with and get your gun setup just how you like

Good luck!
Old 09-29-2012, 05:58 PM   #38 (permalink)
Rec Poster

So last night I replaced all of the springs, cupseal and orings. Ran stock valve spring and blue mainspring with Valken Infinity paint (not the best but still better than most field paint imo) and it ran wonderfully. Sun was out, slight breeze around 70 degrees with 275 +/- 8 fps. TPC was more open than normal with the blue spring but was still getting around 170 shots off the 13/3000. Thanks for all the advice guys and to the OP.... Shoot good paint and fiddle with the spring setup!
Old 09-29-2012, 08:46 PM   #39 (permalink)
hth
Seasoned Member

Lol fixes phantom problem by buying another one. Lols all around! But seriously guys I have both phantoms working well now!

Btw what is a difference between a madman and cci spring kit?
Old 09-29-2012, 08:53 PM   #40 (permalink)
Sidewinder Hoarder

Maddman kit gives you three valve springs, although you'll have to clip a couple coils off for them to fit, where the phantom kit only has one. If you're using a RTR valve, with the proper spring guide you don't need to cut the maddman/lp cocker valve springs to fit.

glad to here it Chris-C! btw, were you having the problem earlier with you tpc, or am I thinking of someone else? if it is you, did you end up getting the grub screw back in the bolt? if not, would be a good idea

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI