mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 09-23-2012, 09:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Looking to get a Phantom.

Hey all.

I've been looking into getting a Phantom for quite some time now. I have been doing a lot of research however I wanted to clarify some things before I go for it.

If I get one completely stock, is there something I should get so that it will perform better? I know I should get detent rings for it. Would getting a spring kit be wise?

In terms of detents and such: Which would be the "better" path, the ASP detent modification or just simply getting Detent rings?

Thanks!
dragon1291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Definitely ASP detent mod. I love my T stock as well. Other that that stock phantoms shoot great!
Chris-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
You will want a stock unless your'e running a 13/3 tank. It is a royal pain to try and aim a Phantom with nothing to stabilize it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmartin View Post
i think you will be fine. Fed Ex was always good to me until my wifes dog bit the driver. they usually don't avoid you unless they have a reason.
p8ntninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Sidewinder Hoarder

My first phantom was a bba sc setup and I loved it! Yes, bba, with no stock, was really different. Not the sort of gun I could just pick up having never used a nelson and shoot accurate shots really fast. I had to take my time, and in doing so had no problems. However, a stock can make a big difference. Unless you like crawling around or play snake, a stock will probably make the biggest difference in terms of all upgrades. Detent mod comes in a very close second of course

If you've never used a phantom before play with it before you dump a lot of money into it. Different setups have different pro's and con's. Overall great stock design, although I also highly recommend some sort of detent system (not so much cci's detent rings - they've given me just about as much trouble as they've helped me, especially when using old or deformed paint). ASP's detent mod is great because it works great with any kind of paint, and barrel sizers are no longer absolutely necessary (although still very useful). Great stock barrel. Unless you're playing stock class, try running it with a small co2 (or hpa if you already have one) tank.

If not using a tank on the bottom line get a stock. Down the road you can always buy under cocking kits, new feeds, barrels, vert adapters, etc. etc. Start basic, you won't be disappointed (other than the detent issue)
toymachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

I currently have a Trilly Cocker for Open Class Pump play. I Enjoy it very much but I wanted to get a rig that would, well be smaller and lighter.

And I guess I should have mentioned this earlier- I'd be running it in a VSC configuration. I like the aspect of using 12 Grams and such to get the lightest loadout as possible.

Which would be better: ASP's detent mod that also prevents double feeding or SSC's ego detent mod?

I know that I shouldn't really be worrying about upgrades before I even use the thing, however I know that I don't want my first day of play to be ruined because of a simple detent issue.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Sidewinder Hoarder

Honestly whichever is cheaper/easier to get done. Both work great. I can't imagine that one would get the job done better than the other. Some have had luck with them, but I'd suggest avoiding detent rings, whatever you do.

If you get the phantom in vsc comfig there is literally nothing you need to get to improve performance past the detent system and stock. Well, and a maddman or some sort of spring kit (given low cost to performance ratio) would also be a worthwhile investment at this stage.

An inline stabilizer, bobbed valve, barrel kit or whatever to properly bore paint (I still use stock cci barrels as they underbore just enough for most paint I run into), a ghost ring and under cocking kit also can make the marker fun to play with. But in your case, atm, they're totally unnecessary.

Have fun! VSC phantoms, well phantoms in general, are extremely light and maneuverable guns to play with. If you don't already have something you're comfy with, invest in a good rig/harness before you worry about any major upgrades short of what's already been mentioned. Past that, the first thing along those line's I'd get is a good undercocking kit, but, again, at this point unnecessary.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:50 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks to everyone for the good advice.

Once last question, which is better: T-Stock or L-Stock?
Old 09-24-2012, 03:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Sidewinder Hoarder

Totally depends on what you prefer. L stocks can sit lower or high depending on how you flip/mount them, where as T stocks are a bit more centered. Not something I can explain well in words here though - it's something of a feel thing. Depending on the marker too. I've got the original t stock that came with my '12 ghost (cut it down as it's too long for my taste) and is mounted where an ASA would go on the bottom of the trigger frame. On markers with bba I will use generally use an air-thru L stock as T style stock sits way too high... now, if I had my camera this you'd understand. I'll try to dig up some photos to explain.

if you can see how it feels with each type of stock. Since you are going to use it with a vsc setup a t stock will probably work best.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Rec Poster

12" T-Stock
this is the stock I use which puts the marker exactly where I want it when snap shooting. I am 5'9" and the 12" is perfect for me. I have not used cci's t-stock but from photos I have seen, it looks like they are on a very similar angle.
Chris-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
chuff chuff

Anyone know of a quick disconnect stocks? If you find yourself in a tight spot the stock could definitely get in the way and it would be nice just to be able to pop it off.

I know there are folding stocks, but my personal preference would be just to keep it out of the way completely.
Hobbes is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI