mcarterbrown.com

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 11-12-2012, 09:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Serving Tea for CCM

Send a message via AIM to senghing27

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I'm a fan of the sideline stabby setup on phantoms, if I had to go the regged route.

You really shouldn't be having such a wide spread with constant air and matched barrel/paint.
Stock internals I presume?

Do you happen own a gauge and see what the PSI output of your reg is? Either it's crazy amount of creep, or something else is a factor here.
~My Feedback~
senghing27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:49 AM   #12 (permalink)

seng, its pretty consistant on CO2. The internals are stock (mirror polished) and I opened up the powertube.
I'm inferring that the output from the tank is all over the place. But if its between re-reggging the tank or putting a reg on the gun its an easy choice.
oldschool45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:04 AM   #13 (permalink)
Serving Tea for CCM

Send a message via AIM to senghing27

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool45 View Post
seng, its pretty consistant on CO2. The internals are stock (mirror polished) and I opened up the powertube.
I'm inferring that the output from the tank is all over the place. But if its between re-reggging the tank or putting a reg on the gun its an easy choice.
Right, I understood that part. I think it would be best to grab a gauge and check the psi spread on the tank reg before dropping money down for a tank or gun reg.
I'd rather be sure that it is the tank reg than any other problems. In addition to the inconsistency that you're getting, the HPA reg sounds pretty awful.
~My Feedback~
senghing27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:07 AM   #14 (permalink)
Delta paintball team

You shouldn't need to use a reg at all on a phantom.
Co2 is more than any hpa tank puts out.
If any thing springs should be changed.
All your doing is starving the valve and splitting hairs.

But it's not my money

The $aint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:49 AM   #15 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The $aint View Post
You shouldn't need to use a reg at all on a phantom.
Co2 is more than any hpa tank puts out.
If any thing springs should be changed.
All your doing is starving the valve and splitting hairs.

But it's not my money
????? I have no idea what you are trying to say in what I highlighted.

Did you read the OP? erratic output pressure from HPA reg. A regulator is great for regulating erratic pressures [hence its name "regulator"] The whole "starving the valve" concept just really does not work. There is more than enough volume in a Phantoms Valve to propel a paintball at a reasonable velocity given the appropriate pressure is supplied. By adding a regulator prior to the Phantom's valve helps assure more consistent pressure in that volume shot to shot potentially granting you more consistent velocity shot to shot. I doubt you can shoot a phantom fast enough to out race the recharge rate on most acceptable regulators so far recommended. Granted regulators are not absolutely required to get a Phantom to work well and they do effect CO2 cartridge "mileage" but other then that a viable option.

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

My Pyre #PY008 RF Oak Grendel's Feedback on MCB
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:02 AM   #16 (permalink)
Elven Pump SDM/DM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool45 View Post
The only down side is the Stab kinda rules out a gas through grip.
the female stab would love to be part of a reg'd gas thru grip phantom.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

In the world I see - you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying strips of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway.

Visit my Etsy store:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/crowsnestwampum
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:05 PM   #17 (permalink)

I may see if I can rig a pressure gauge in series to see what kind of output this tank is giving. It has to be higher than nominal CO2 but it is academic at this point.

Legolas- I should clarify through the "main grip." I'm going to make myself a one-off 86' type grip and I can probably get the parts to fit but leaving a sane way to adjust it would be the issue.

The $aint, need has nothing to do with it. I got this POS tank so when it gets around freezing here it doesn't look like I am shooting blackpowder with CO2. I may just sell the 13/3k and just use handwarmers under a neoprene sleve on the CO2.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
If it were me, I would check the tank's HPR for recharge and pressure creep. If it is inconsistent, I would repair/replace as necessary rather than introducing another regulator into the system. Personally, I find that a consistent HPA source is all that is needed for optimum Phantom performance.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:35 PM   #19 (permalink)

Ok I'll bite. Someone recommend a good small high pressure tank reg( no gauge or fill nipple). I've got $42 into this tank now and a Palmer side-line Stab reg is $69.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #20 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I see a palmers side stab for sale in the BST section under Misc for $40+$5shipping.
m1yeh is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI