mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 11-11-2012, 09:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Reg'ing a Phantom

I recently got a 13/3k tank for my Phantom. The regulator on the tank is unknown it was off ebay with a bonnet so you can adjust where gauge & fill nipple sit. My velocities, compared to CO2, are higher and more inconsistent. I'm running a freak bored barrel so it isn't paint/barrel match.
So instead of re-reg'ing the tank I' thinking of reg'ing the gun with the added benefit that that I can quit screwing with the internal velocity adjuster. Is there a cheaper solution to this other than a Palmer Stabilizer regulator?
2nd question; Does anybody know if you can dock a Phantom back bottle valve into a gauged bottomline valve? Is there enough meat?
Thanks,
oldschool45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Brass Mafia Wannabe

CCM Fan
I'm assuming you're talking about a Palmers Phantom reg?

If so, yes..buy a Palmers Cart Reg. They can run the same pressure but are about half the price. (Not to be a salesman, but I actually have one up for sale if you'd be interested.)

Can you clarify what you mean by "dock" a Phantom valve?
Leave me some feedback if you've dealt with me:
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
artguy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elven Pump SDM/DM

artguy ninja'd me: clearly forgot about the new cart regs pps makes. can't comment on the cart reg's qaulity. and while I like that they are more compact... those cart regs look aesthetically terrible. The full sized pps male stab's lines flow perfectly with the phantom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool45 View Post
Is there a cheaper solution to this other than a Palmer Stabilizer regulator?
Yes, a cheaper regulator that you are comfortable using and can get 550 to 750 psi output. I personally chose a pps stab for quality/consistency reasons, but any other 500 to 750 psi (high) output reg will work. Which is really the problem, 'cause many regs are sprung for lower output applications. The most common high output regs are really AKA regs and pps stabilizers. No arguments there (from me) about quality for either of those choices, but that doesn't help cost. Really the reg needs an output of 550 to 750. Not sure what cheap/high out put reg options there are out there, but maybe you could find a reasonably priced used stab. I certainly don't know the output of most regs, so there many be some if not many other suitable options available in new or used markets for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool45 View Post
2nd question; Does anybody know if you can dock a Phantom back bottle valve into a gauged bottomline valve? Is there enough meat? Thanks,
Yup. I've used a diamond table saw to cut off bba phantom valves and drilled/tapped them for rear pressure gauges and side air fittings. It is tight, but there should be enough meat to make a bobbed valve. I would be willing to mod bba valves into bobbed valves for a reasonable fee.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

In the world I see - you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying strips of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway.

Visit my Etsy store:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/crowsnestwampum

Last edited by Legolas; 11-11-2012 at 11:24 PM.
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Stock class SPAM

My two cents about Cart regs. Don't like em. I have one but they are a pain and costly to get sweet spotted because the way they adjust requires you waste a 12 gram. I bought one to try regged phantom too but played with it once and its in a box on the side already.

Shamless plug - I'm trying to get rid of mine as well...
808Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elven Pump SDM/DM

^^true. inline, male, female stabilizers can all be adjusted on the fly, while cart regs cannot.

viable reg'd 12g powered set ups can be achieved using inline stabs, or of course the streamlined pps phantom valve reg. I prefer using a male stabilizer from the veritcal asa on o/c phantom. I have not messed with regs in a 12 g set up.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

In the world I see - you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying strips of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway.

Visit my Etsy store:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/crowsnestwampum

Last edited by Legolas; 11-11-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Email the maker of the phantom, Mike from CCI. His contact is on phantomonline.com

He has a new regulator for the Revolution that will fit the Phantom. It is only ~1.5 inches long, is integrated into the vertical ASA, and regulates from 750-850psi

There are 2 choices. 1 with 1/8NPT female fitting, 1 with ASA fitting. This will replace your current vertical ASA, and is vertical (vs angled on the original phantom).

Great price too, much cheaper than AKA or Palmers Reg.
I just placed my order for one this weekend. Super excited!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 1050_1059 Reg Manual.pdf (113.5 KB, 100 views)
m1yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:35 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm running an underpump kit that rules out the new Vertical ASA reg for the Revolution. The Palmer Cartridge reg looks like a PITA especially since I don't run 12e's much. I'm probably going to just get an inline Stab and thread it directly into my valve body the way I did years ago.
And I may turn the backbottle ASA into a docked valve body.
Thanks again.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

I used to run a Side Line regulator on my Phantom [wished I never got rid of it] I was very happy with this setup. The disadvantage to the sideline is the volume air column before the regulator is a waste if you are using CO2 cartridges but other then that it was great as I used a bottle.

Palmer's Sideline Regulator

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

My Pyre #PY008 RF Oak Grendel's Feedback on MCB
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Rec Poster

ok, i guess you have the desert t1 uc kit, because i run cci and rainman and they fit with vert asa.
m1yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

Grendel; about 8 years ago I ran one of those on my last Phantom and loved it looks like I'm going back to it. I was getting +/- 3 fps with a dead stock barrel & OK paint. With a freak barrel & good paint results should be "interesting"
When I go to run 12's I think I'll pickup a drop-out changer/valve body and and hope I can find my velocity adjustment tool.
m1yeh, I'm lazy so while interesting Mike's new microreg is a non starter because it would force me to tear it apart to swap out disks to change pressures the Stab will adjust on the fly with a 3/16 allen key. The only down side is the Stab kinda rules out a gas through grip.
My underpump kit is on the current page of the Phantom picture thread. It got its first work out Saturday. The accompanying gog shots were almost epic
Thanks again all!

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI