mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 12-08-2012, 03:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
ROARRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!

I bought a BM one for my old M98 back in the day. I remember a vid where they shot sand through it...and the little thing sealed up just fine.
Ziggymarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Nihilistic Mystics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas View Post
yup, they are unthreaded plastic, you create your own threads.
Really? I could have sworn that the ones I had years ago (and may still have a couple of floating around) were indeed threaded.

Back when Nicky was closing down NW around 7 years ago, I bought a whole bunch of stock that she still had left, and she offered to sell me the secret recipe of the Black Magic cupseal material for $5k. While I'd love to know what material the stuff is, ASP was running in the red as it was (and still did until maybe a year or two ago). One thing I recall about the Black Magic cupseals was that she said boiling water was perfectly fine for the material (if you needed to loosen loctite or something), but acetone was a big no-no.

I then started digging around in listings of materials to try and get an idea of what the stuff actually is. My best guess is that it was some sort of urethane (especially since the early versions were much softer than the later Black Magic III formulation).
Old 12-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech

I would put money down to bet it's a polyurethane, it's the best seal material there is besides Viton for co2/HPA use and it can easily be cast into accurate shapes. very low gas permeability, high resistance to permanent deformation, great shear resistance, great temperature range, all around ideal.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
I would put money down to bet it's a polyurethane, it's the best seal material there is besides Viton for co2/HPA use and it can easily be cast into accurate shapes. very low gas permeability, high resistance to permanent deformation, great shear resistance, great temperature range, all around ideal.
You should work in sales more. I had a sudden urge to buy something I just bought three of.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
Paintball is my Obsession

So who is gonna step up and re-introduce the black magic cup seals?
Old 12-17-2012, 01:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
Nihilistic Mystics

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghp8ntballer View Post
So who is gonna step up and re-introduce the black magic cup seals?
Probably as soon as somebody figures out the right material. I actually tried turning my own polyurethane cup seals a few years back, but didn't have great results.

In the end, though, CCI cupseals are already urethane and work quite nicely.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:03 PM   #17 (permalink)

they need to be cast to shape, the only way to achieve a functional part like that. and, they would need to be cured to the correct hardness.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #18 (permalink)
Nihilistic Mystics

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
they need to be cast to shape, the only way to achieve a functional part like that. and, they would need to be cured to the correct hardness.
On the Black Magic III cupseals I recall seeing, I could have sworn I saw spiral toolmarks from being turned on a lathe...
Old 12-18-2012, 06:09 PM   #19 (permalink)

most likely there from the dies they made em with. or maybe they got turned down for some reason... tough to say without inspecting one for finer signs of its manufacture.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:22 PM   #20 (permalink)
Elven Pump SDM/DM

I can only speak for the one cupseal I recieved from Carter recently, but it had no threads. Even when probing beyond my visual field, i could not detect any threads. Have Blue: maybe some of the "NIB" ones you received had previously been installed once. Or maybe those were from an older batch that had molds with threads, and after some marketing they realized money could be saved on a simpler mold since people were cutting there own threads into the plastic.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

In the world I see - you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying strips of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway.

Visit my Etsy store:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/crowsnestwampum
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI