mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 12-07-2012, 12:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
interesting power tube options

Thinking of getting one of these what are we thinking guys
Wizbaa Machine Works - CCI Powertubes!
casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Bartman

AKA Fan
I am thinking that it may be a good HPA due to its thickness, I have replaced my power tube with a stock 007 one I have cut down and fitted to my phantom, its seems to be lasting longer then the CCI ones I have been using.

But this one interested me a lot, let me know how you like it, I was thinking about building something similar , but beefier .

Bart
Its always better with a pump, and camo
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...l#post2603541y
Bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
It could quiet it down even more ya think ? I am an hpa guy now with my phantom will be interesting!
Old 12-07-2012, 11:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

due to the flow increase and resulting velocity increase, you should definitely be able to turn the reg down on a regged HPA setup. I'm gonna guess about 450 PSI with the highest flowing PT, maybe even lower... the shot should be a tiny bit quieter yea.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elven Pump SDM/DM

got my phantom down to 400psi with one of these p/t's, stock springs, open-face tpc and fluted hammer. having problems with valve farting during the cocking of the gun (not when the hammer is hitting the valve). tried a heavier valve spring to solve it. no dice. For starts, had to sand down the p/t to fit inside the tpc. There must be enough friction that the the tpc is pushing enough on the p/t to cause small amounts of venting. I tried three different heavier/longer springs to help keep the seal, but to no avail. All I can think of is trying a ported-tpc (not desirable, but may have the correct ID to stop the binding) or sanding down the p/t to prevent the p/t and tpc from locking up (also not too desirable, as if it is sanded too much there will be a loss of air). Another factor may be that I have a DT1 u/c kit. The way the u/c kit puts pressure on the pump rod may be resulting in uneven pressure on the bolt, leading to binding between the tpc and p/t. Next, test another pump kit to see if this is the source of the problem. If anyone has any other suggestions to resolve this problem let me know. Oh, as far as noise signature: definitely LOUDER when farting occurs, possibly quieter when operating correctly (hard to determine as my phantom was already nice and quiet).
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

In the world I see - you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying strips of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway.

Visit my Etsy store:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/crowsnestwampum

Last edited by Legolas; 12-07-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

the fit between the PT and velocity adjuster/tpc doesn't need to be very tight at all... you could take off a few thou and would not see any efficiency loss. It could also be that the shoulder on the PT is out of position a bit, or too thick... a few quick checks with a vernier comparing stock PT after installation to this one should give you an idea what's up.

that sucks that it has an issue though... obviously something was overlooked
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elven Pump SDM/DM

the shoulder on the p/t is certainly different than the stock. it is thinner by a visible margin--this may be an issue in the spacing, but from the looks of it, it should work just fine. With more rounding of the opening of the p/t and polishing of the p/t tube I may be able to solve this. iirc, this valve popping when pumping issue was present when using a cut down lapco #6P p/t and the asp open face tpc. pretty sure the issue may actually be the thick coating on the (early???) run of tpc's from asp that I have via another mcb member. The better soln may be to sand/polish the inside of the tpc,rather than modify all of the p/t in my guns. Swapping some parts around will help diagnostically differentiate the problem. Hopefully some one else who is having complete success with their large bore tpc's can chime in. Not to say that mine are not working--I managed to drop my phantom to 400psi, just with the addition of this one part.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

In the world I see - you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying strips of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway.

Visit my Etsy store:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/crowsnestwampum
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Well after doing a lot of parts swapping, I can confidently say that it is indeed the the shoulder thats causing the problem. When I was measuring the stock CCI P/t I noticed the valve lift was around same as the port size, so around .085". I just did the same thing on my tubes, so it opened completely over the ports .150".

This is to much lift and interferes with the pump stroke. They're nice, but fart a lot. Hopefully I'll have my next order of steel in by next weekend. Then I can make a few shorter tubes, I believe the phantom could handle .100" lift.

The part that I really dont want to make is a new valve nut, Mike just makes such a nice part theres no way I could make one thats better. So instead of a whole new one I thought of a way to use the nice CCI part, my nice part, and another nice part. Here's my take on the Leprechaun Valve:

Its a stainless steel ring that sits on the inside shoulder of valve retainer nut. I used red locktight on my first try, it came off with heat, hammer and chisel. No damage to speak of. Used blue locktight for my second try, im sure it will hold but easier removal would be nice.

You can see in the first picture that the ring also took up space on the valve end, so it now only lifts .085". Even though the valve only opens half the diameter of the ports, they are completely exposed:

I think that I'll be able to open up the inside a little bit more. I would also like to increase the lift a little bit on my third attempt. As I said earlier, im sure that it could handle .100 of lift. Gotta push the limits!

Unfortunately I've run out of air and couldnt test it, I know the locktight is a little silly but im sure it would work fine. If anyone has concerns about that let me know.

I believe with these the tubes that I have listed would work perfectly, I just need to make one that im happy with to test a bit. But until then, sales are on hold.

Last edited by Wizbaa; 12-09-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Wizbaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
are we selling theses?
Old 12-09-2012, 02:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Custom User Title

I intend to make more tubes with the proper length to sell. If this piece works ill pair them with a tube and sell them as a kit, but only for the few long tubes I have as they took hours and i don't want to waste that effort.
Wizbaa is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI