mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 12-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Nihilistic Mystics

People have asked me about doing stainless bodies, brass bodies, etc., and it's certainly something that I want to do. Heck, _I_ want a brass Phantom! As others have noted, though, verbal demand hardly ever measures up to economic demand.

However, as I start looking at the next run of Roundhead blanks, I will be keeping in mind the possibility of doing brass and stainless (and might dream a little about Titanium as well).

If I were to do special materials, they would be very limited run and would probably be plain SC (no offset versions). And before anybody asks, no, I have no clues on potential price.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have Blue View Post
People have asked me about doing stainless bodies, brass bodies, etc., and it's certainly something that I want to do. Heck, _I_ want a brass Phantom! As others have noted, though, verbal demand hardly ever measures up to economic demand...........
You know where I stand.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
Brass Mafia Wannabe

CCM Fan
Quote:
People have asked me about doing stainless bodies, brass bodies, etc., and it's certainly something that I want to do. Heck, _I_ want a brass Phantom! As others have noted, though, verbal demand hardly ever measures up to economic demand.

However, as I start looking at the next run of Roundhead blanks, I will be keeping in mind the possibility of doing brass and stainless (and might dream a little about Titanium as well).

If I were to do special materials, they would be very limited run and would probably be plain SC (no offset versions). And before anybody asks, no, I have no clues on potential price.
Sad panda for no right offset
Leave me some feedback if you've dealt with me:
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
artguy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Nihilistic Mystics

Quote:
Originally Posted by artguy63 View Post
Sad panda for no right offset
Well, I may be able to do brass in offset feeds - it's not as bad as stainless. (A big worry is how the little extended length 1/16" ball end mills I use for cutting the detent slots will fare with stainless)
Old 12-26-2012, 05:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
Olde Basterd#2

CCM Fan
Kilt Fan
I have been lurking posting on this idea with Ken and he didn't say no but he didn't say yes either! He said it would cost too much to produce. But ya we were tossing the idea around a year or so ago. Having a Duck slide I would pretty much pay the premium for a SS body. Hell if you ever do I would prepay you all day long. That would be killer for my set up! So if you ever think of doing it in SS please let me know I would be in! And Titanium well, I can dream can't I? Feyd..............

Last edited by Feyd; 12-26-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Feyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:48 PM   #16 (permalink)
Nihilistic Mystics

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJOttawa View Post
I owned a Redux with a stainless steel body but I don't want guns with stainless bodies.

Aluminum with steel inserts works very well and is light weight. Stainless bodies are extremely heavy.
I agree with you, but this isn't a matter of practicality. This is a matter of 'because we can'. I'd try making a Phantom body out of Jell-o brand pudding if I could find an indexable carbide insert that would cut the stuff.

Imagine the Phantom equivalent of one of these: Turnbull TAR-10 .308 Rifle
Actually, I never even considered a color case-hardened Phantom... HOW FREAKIN' AWESOME WOULD THAT BE?!?
Old 12-26-2012, 09:15 PM   #17 (permalink)
Olde Basterd#2

CCM Fan
Kilt Fan
Baby steps Blue, baby steps! I like how the SS wears under the Duck. And as far a how much it weighs? Not a worry I have a brass T-2 and used to shoot an Iron Horse for 5 years that was loaded! The was a cinder block with a barrel! Feyd...........
Old 12-26-2012, 11:30 PM   #18 (permalink)
Brass Mafia Wannabe

CCM Fan
I think I'd be willing to deal with the additional weight for a full stainless Phantom. The parts aren't solid chunks, so yes, while they will be heavier, it wont weigh as much as..say..a Squall or something.
Leave me some feedback if you've dealt with me:
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
artguy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:46 PM   #19 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Quote:
I agree with you, but this isn't a matter of practicality. This is a matter of 'because we can'. I'd try making a Phantom body out of Jell-o brand pudding if I could find an indexable carbide insert that would cut the stuff.

Imagine the Phantom equivalent of one of these: Turnbull TAR-10 .308 Rifle
Actually, I never even considered a color case-hardened Phantom... HOW FREAKIN' AWESOME WOULD THAT BE?!?
looks good what kinda process are we looking at blue ??
Old 12-27-2012, 02:51 AM   #20 (permalink)
Lathe Fiend

To do a color case, you essentially pack the part in bone charcoal and then heat the part to its critical temperature. You then quickly quench the part straight from the charcoal pack and it produces the familiar color case. Different types of charcoal can be used but typically bone charcoal produces the best color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOldSkool View Post
CNC's are for nerds...
MCB Feedback

Sheridan Misc FS: Grips, bodies
sniper42 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI