mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 01-08-2013, 04:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unfit mod on a 6 inch barrel?

Anyone have any success with fatkids 'unfit' mod on a 6 inch barrel?

I am looking to get my first Phantom, and it will be micro. Of course, I am concerned about efficiency. I have a set of Python inserts setting around that I would like to use instead of buying freak inserts if it works good that way.

Thanks.

MCB - Feedback
avocadohead.com
tunka.com
RustyTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Brass Mafia Wannabe

CCM Fan
There's only a handful of people who've done this. I know Justin personally, and he's a great guy. I don't think he's taking custom work though with his schedule.

I know my buddy had it on 4 separate Phantoms at one time. They all worked great, and got roughly the same efficiency as a freak kit.
Leave me some feedback if you've dealt with me:
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
artguy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

Ok thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artguy63 View Post
There's only a handful of people who've done this. I know Justin personally, and he's a great guy. I don't think he's taking custom work though with his schedule.
I'm not too worried about getting the work done, I have access to a machine shop full of machinists at work. And if I can't get it done that way, I'll send it to super stanchy.

Quote:
I know my buddy had it on 4 separate Phantoms at one time. They all worked great, and got roughly the same efficiency as a freak kit.
Did he use a 6" barrel on any of those markers?

MCB - Feedback
avocadohead.com
tunka.com
Old 01-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Brass Mafia Wannabe

CCM Fan
Don't forget to machine the lip off the inserts.

And no I believe the shortest barrel was an 8". 6" isn't going to be very efficient, regardless of what you do. I believe 8" is about the shortest you can go and still have a mildly efficient gun.
Leave me some feedback if you've dealt with me:
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
artguy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Right!

Quote:
6" isn't going to be very efficient, regardless of what you do.
I'm looking for 30 useable shots...

My plan is to use the gun stock first, just to figure out how to tune and what not using a 12g marker.

After that, boring would be next, and then the power tube if necessary.

I'm new to stock class/12g's, so input is greatly appreciated!

MCB - Feedback
avocadohead.com
tunka.com
Old 01-09-2013, 01:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Man With No Plan

CCM Fan
PBN Fan
i've bored a few barrels for ifits, and just put em in backwards, they work, they just have a tendancy to catch paint a little more than if it were in correctly
super_stanchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pif
12g4L

Kilt Fan
Quote:

And no I believe the shortest barrel was an 8". 6" isn't going to be very efficient, regardless of what you do. I believe 8" is about the shortest you can go and still have a mildly efficient gun.
It's more about paint to bore match than it is barrel length. Iirc, some folks on here could not get more efficiency beyond 8.5". After that, it's simply slowing the ball down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usagi Tetsu
Velcor is within all of us, you need not go looking for him. He sayeth, "wherever two or more of you are gathered, there shall I be." He is my solid bunker for me to hide behind from the incoming fire of mine enemies, He is the functioning regulator which keepeth my shots consistent, and He is my keen eye guiding my fire towards my hidden enemies. Yea, whosoever shall believeth in Him shall be guided by His right hand towards the flag, and whosoever denieth Him shall reside for all eternity in the Deadbox of Life.
Pif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by super_stanchy View Post
i've bored a few barrels for ifits, and just put em in backwards, they work, they just have a tendancy to catch paint a little more than if it were in correctly
I might try it that way at first to see if it works (before ruining more parts than I have to). But if I like the way it works, I have an SL-68 II that will get bored as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pif View Post
It's more about paint to bore match than it is barrel length. Iirc, some folks on here could not get more efficiency beyond 8.5". After that, it's simply slowing the ball down.
Good point. I don't have experience with short barrels, so I wasn't sure if 6 inches was long enough no matter how good the fit (with a Python insert).

One of the fields I go to has paint small enough to roll out a .679 insert. A Python insert is 1.75 long, which leaves 4.25 of way over size "air bearing" for tiny paint to go through. So.... that's where my question started.

MCB - Feedback
avocadohead.com
tunka.com
Old 01-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

There won't be that big of a difference between the 8" or 6" barrels. I got 30 to35 shots with my 8" barrel with stock internals. Turn the lip off the inserts ( turn to. 749-.748) and bore the barrel 1.75 deep from the tip of the stock barrel. It only took me maybe 2 minutes to turn the lip off a 9 piece ifit kit after setting size on the 1st one. I had a collet lathe where i used to work that made it really easy to do the inserts. I actually circle milled the barrels on a mazak horizontal mill. That took a minute once i had the program and set up done.

my feedbackhttp://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
fatkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:04 AM   #10 (permalink)

Okay. And thanks for info!

MCB - Feedback
avocadohead.com
tunka.com

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI