mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 02-13-2013, 11:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Pop-Up Ninja

Undercocking Kit Options

What options are there these days for undercocking kits? I know that at some point Mike made his own, but since his website hasn't been updated in years, there's no mention of it there. I know Rainman makes one...and there are ones listed as "out of stock" on Airsoldier. I just need to know what the options are and what the differences would be between them.

Go ye therefore to all the nations, baptizing them in copious amounts of paint.

Proud member of Team On Target.
www.teamontargetpb.com
Murf425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

in terms of availability and performance Rainman Kits are awesome!
Pauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pumps in the Woods

Brass N Wood Fan
And Rainman just released a Uc kit with a vaa and it seem pretty solid from what i can tell just messing around in the back yard.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"Make (your attacker) advance through a wall of bullets. I may get killed with my own gun, but he’s gonna have to beat me to death with it, ‘cause it’s going to be empty." Clint Smith

volunteer paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Here are UC kits from my experience: Every kit has its own personality or way it likes to be pumped for maximum smoothness. Some are easier than others to do so.

CCI/Wevo Kit (contact Mike @ CCI) - Good solid kit, smallest, but not the smoothest. By design there is some inevitable side-to-side play. Have to "pump it the right way" for it to be smooth. Pump it the wrong way (for example with some twisting action) and it will get stuck.

Original style Rainman UC kit - Good solid kit, larger and smoother than the CCI/wevo kit. By design, eliminates side-to-side play but has some vertical up/down play. This UC kit is easier to "pump it the right way." Harder to pump it wrong. Returns smoother than the CCI/wevo kit.

Original Rainman UC kit with CCM Tgrip - Same as above. No play in any direction. Even easier to "pump it the right way." This is my favorite thus far.

Here are UC kits I have not tried:

Desert T1 UC kit - Replaces the Vertical ASA, makes the VASA larger. Looks solid.

New Style Rainman UC kit - Looks more solid than old style kit. Repositions the Vertical ASA, alters the look of your marker. Able to use stock thumbscrew (easy to take apart your marker)

Last edited by m1yeh; 02-14-2013 at 12:20 PM.
m1yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Jcurt455 undercocker is nice option also.

funsi00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
In my experience, kits that secure to the Phantom using only the front thumb screw are unreliable. You are stuck either with a handle that will wiggle loose, and they will, or securing it with thread locker at the expense of easy disassembly. I would rather use the stock pump handle over all kits currently made (save maybe Rainman's new one), with the exception of the Dually.

I love Pun's Dually kits:

They are a bitch to find, and are expensive when they do come up. The only downside is that you lose the vertical ASA. I have them on both my two Phantoms.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Stock class SPAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idkfa View Post
In my experience, kits that secure to the Phantom using only the front thumb screw are unreliable. You are stuck either with a handle that will wiggle loose, and they will, or securing it with thread locker at the expense of easy disassembly. I would rather use the stock pump handle over all kits currently made (save maybe Rainman's new one), with the exception of the Dually.

I love Pun's Dually kits:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...h/IMG_3364.jpg

They are a bitch to find, and are expensive when they do come up. The only downside is that you lose the vertical ASA. I have them on both my two Phantoms.
Agreed, sadly Pun's are the best around. The single ones are fine as well. So smooth. I know that BOS made one that is similar before. Perhaps you can contact him. He does great work!
808Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
^Rainmans' new kit might be the closest you are going to get, and it's great that it retains the vertical ASA... it's just so damn ugly.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I have never experienced anything coming loose with Rainman's kit. I don't use any loctite or anything. I think the screw has an integrated crush washer.

The cci/wevo kit I sort of do recall it coming loose every now and then.
m1yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
^The washer may help, but it is still a single point of connection. My Rainman kit fell apart on two separate occasions while playing... I mean pump handle, pump mount, and body were on the ground in pieces. I went back to the stock kit. Your mileage may, and apparently will, vary, but that style of UC kit will never again appear on any Phantom I own.

The Phantom is a beautifully simple and reliable design. Anything that compromises this, even a little, is not worth it to me.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI