mcarterbrown.com

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 02-25-2013, 10:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
\m/Ruler_of_Asgaard\m/

Question Best Under-cocking Kit

I'm sure this has come up for discussion before, I haven't found anything recent though about it.
As the topic suggests: what is your preferred under-cocking kit for a Phantom? Also, why?

I currently use a Vangaurd under-cocking kit. It came with my Phantom when I got it, and I'm looking to find one a bit more sturdy. The biggest issue I have with it is that after a few games I find the hex screw holding it in place gets a little loose. I'm basically looking for a kit thats sturdy, has a solid stroke to it and can allow for some diversity (as in: it can be used with a vert-ASA setup, possible hitman-mod and I'm also thinking of making a wooden pump handle).
OK MCB, do your stuff!

<--- straight pimpin'
Oden666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:41 AM   #2 (permalink)

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
To solve the issue of the hex screw falling out use blue loctite, this will prevent the screw from coming loose from just regular play and you will need to use a little heat and a tool to remove it.

You probably wont be able to get everything you are looking for in one kit but...

1) Rainman Kit, everybody loves it. The classic one is very similar to the vangaurd you currently own. Can be used with the Vert asa, he gives the option of a hitman mod to be added and finally you can use any ccm pump handle. Good all around kit for below $100. Kit is fairly stable.

2) CCI kit. i have no experience with this kit, the two issues people seem to have is that it only has one guide rod allowing for twisting and more play and the pump handle is a bit small which can be problematic for large handed people. Cheapest option at about $50. no option for hitman plate.

3) Desert T1 Kit. This Kit replaces your vert asa with its own custom one and is the most stable of all the kits in my opinion. the only play you will get is slight up and down and that can be solved by shimming the pump rod. Most expensive sitting at $125 and no option for hitman plate. This kit is my personal Favorite because of the huge amount of stability i get from it. The issue some people have with this kit is that they dont like how it looks. (i love it)

4) Punisher Dually. No experience with it, Super Rare, Super expensive. i doubt you will ever find one but it replaces your vertical asa (doesnt let you use one to my knowledge.)

Cheers
StockClassPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Pop-Up Ninja

This thread has a pretty thorough rundown on all the options:

Undercocking Kit Options

Go ye therefore to all the nations, baptizing them in copious amounts of paint.

Proud member of Team On Target.
www.teamontargetpb.com
Murf425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oden666 View Post
I'm sure this has come up for discussion before, I haven't found anything recent though about it.
As the topic suggests: what is your preferred under-cocking kit for a Phantom? Also, why?

I currently use a Vangaurd under-cocking kit. It came with my Phantom when I got it, and I'm looking to find one a bit more sturdy. The biggest issue I have with it is that after a few games I find the hex screw holding it in place gets a little loose. I'm basically looking for a kit thats sturdy, has a solid stroke to it and can allow for some diversity (as in: it can be used with a vert-ASA setup, possible hitman-mod and I'm also thinking of making a wooden pump handle).
OK MCB, do your stuff!

<--- straight pimpin'
had the same issue. Go to a hardware store and get a longer screw. Than simply get a lock washer to put in between the screw and the bottom of the vanguard kit. Never will come loose again
Pauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

A rubber or neoprene washer instead of a lock washer is the way to go. The lock washer will scratch and gall the aluminum. The Neoprene or rubber, helps drastically to prevent the screw from backing out, but wont do anything to the aluminum.
gasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasser View Post
A rubber or neoprene washer instead of a lock washer is the way to go. The lock washer will scratch and gall the aluminum. The Neoprene or rubber, helps drastically to prevent the screw from backing out, but wont do anything to the aluminum.
using a lock washer similiar to this will not scratch the aluminum
Google Image Result for http://www.portlandbolt.com/image/products/full/lock_washer_drawing.jpg

You put one of those puppies that have the teeth on there and then you'll have a problem. ive held on 2 vangard kits using above apparatus and never left a mark.
Pauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

A split washer can do it too. Wont always, but the possibilty is there. I run a small machine shop and we dont use them directly on anything aluminum for that reason. Its just a heads up.
gasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to MrBig

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by StockClassPunk View Post
4) Punisher Dually. No experience with it, Super Rare, Super expensive. i doubt you will ever find one but it replaces your vertical asa (doesnt let you use one to my knowledge.)
I searched and searched for a Punisher Dually with no luck. The ones I found went for up near $200 and were sold before I could get my hands on them. So, I contacted KPCS and had a similar one built for me.

KPCS parts on my Phantom

Extremely happy with it. Not sure if it meets all of your requirements, but it sure met mine.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI