mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 03-05-2013, 12:43 AM   #11 (permalink)

i personally believe it has to do with the dept of the bucket. I swapped parts around today and only had 1 bucket that was giving me leaking problems. The machine that makes the different batches cannot be perfect EVERYTIME so there are bound to be a few "bloopers" that can cause a problem.

Also by using other brands on the same seal as im using a leland could cause me problems. Powerlet length and lip design are not universal so this doesnt help our cause of geting a consistent product.

I have a new bucket coming in my CCI order this week so im hoping its fine. Swapping out puncture seals was getting annoying lol
Pauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
I'm Stock Classy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly View Post
The machine that makes the different batches cannot be perfect EVERYTIME so there are bound to be a few "bloopers" that can cause a problem.
I'd say that's rarely the case with anything CCI puts out.

This is odd as I've never had an issue with a leaking CCI bucket changer, and I've used KEE, Crossman, Leland and other brand 12-grams. In my experience, the CCI bucket seems to be able to accommodate every brand without a problem. I've been using Lelands exclusively in multiple Phantoms for several years now with no issues whatsoever.

On the other hand, I've had plenty of leaking issues with the RTR bucket changer. Yes, the size of 12-grams will vary sightly between brands, and this has really affected the RTR bucket. Different brand 12-grams fit differently in the bucket, and sometimes even an o-ring in the bottom of the bucket won't help. It's very frustrating to say the least, which is why I'll never use RTR buckets again. RTR buckets also fit very loose on the threads of the CCI piercing pin adapter. Another reason I avoid them.

Because the CCI bucket has been so reliable, I'd say any leaking issue would be with the piercing pin assembly - imperfections in the seal, pin, cup, etc., or a bit of dirt or something somewhere perhaps. It's very strange that you've replaced the seal and are still having issues. Are you sure you are using the correct seal? The cup seal looks a little like the piercing in seal, and I've seen some folks somehow get the wrong seal in there. The wrong seal could be the culprit.

Just as an FYI - While Lelands are the best 12-gram available (because they use "food grade" gas with no added lubricant), they do have a thicker seal (Leland calls it a "safety cap"). The thick seal on top may wear down your piercing pin seal sooner than other brand 12-grams, as well as cause a tiny amount of CO2 loss when tightening down. However, the lack of lubricant in the Leyland cartridge means that you're getting a 100% CO2, as opposed to other brands that will have an unknown % mix of CO2 and lubricant (say 99% CO2 and 1% lube for example - which I'm sure the amounts will vary from 12-gram to 12-gram).

Authorized CCI Dealer Specializing in Phantom Repairs and Custom Work
Serving the Greater Fairfield and New Haven County Area of CT Exclusively

Buy my BadAss Stock-Class T-Shirts

My CCI, RTR, Carter, Flasc and TechT Stock-Class Parts Purge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim
There's playing paintball with a stock-class gun, and then there's playing stock-class paintball. Big difference.
My MCB Feedback
Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:06 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim View Post
I'd say that's rarely the case with anything CCI puts out.

This is odd as I've never had an issue with a leaking CCI bucket changer, and I've used KEE, Crossman, Leland and other brand 12-grams. In my experience, the CCI bucket seems to be able to accommodate every brand without a problem. I've been using Lelands exclusively in multiple Phantoms for several years now with no issues whatsoever.

On the other hand, I've had plenty of leaking issues with the RTR bucket changer. Yes, the size of 12-grams will vary sightly between brands, and this has really affected the RTR bucket. Different brand 12-grams fit differently in the bucket, and sometimes even an o-ring in the bottom of the bucket won't help. It's very frustrating to say the least, which is why I'll never use RTR buckets again. RTR buckets also fit very loose on the threads of the CCI piercing pin adapter. Another reason I avoid them.

Because the CCI bucket has been so reliable, I'd say any leaking issue would be with the piercing pin assembly - imperfections in the seal, pin, cup, etc., or a bit of dirt or something somewhere perhaps. It's very strange that you've replaced the seal and are still having issues. Are you sure you are using the correct seal? The cup seal looks a little like the piercing in seal, and I've seen some folks somehow get the wrong seal in there. The wrong seal could be the culprit.

Just as an FYI - While Lelands are the best 12-gram available (because they use "food grade" gas with no added lubricant), they do have a thicker seal (Leland calls it a "safety cap"). The thick seal on top may wear down your piercing pin seal sooner than other brand 12-grams, as well as cause a tiny amount of CO2 loss when tightening down. However, the lack of lubricant in the Leyland cartridge means that you're getting a 100% CO2, as opposed to other brands that will have an unknown % mix of CO2 and lubricant (say 99% CO2 and 1% lube for example - which I'm sure the amounts will vary from 12-gram to 12-gram).
I have 3 full sets of cci bucket changers at my disposal. 2 that I KNOW work as they are older and ive been using for a few years and my brand new one that just came with my phantom straight from Mike. Swapped out parts and did a round robin and the only time i would get a leak is with this one particular bucket regardless of the pin assembly im using.

I will round robin again at my shop tomorrow to double check my results. Even at 30 cents each rocking through all these 12's is killing my doughnut money
Pauly is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI