mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 04-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Pay at the pump.

CCM Fan
Phantom compared to Grey Ghost and Buzzard

Ok, I know this has probably be brought up before but I could not find it.

My son just got a Phantom VSC and he loves it. Playing with it some makes me really miss playing stock class. I owned Phantoms for years and love them. Only reason I sold mine was to get my CCM S6. But I miss playing stock class. I know I can convert my S6 to a stock class gun, but that is not what it is made for. And I really like to run it as open class. So…

I am looking at buy a stock class gun for myself. I loved my Phantom and would not have any issues with getting another one. But whatever marker I get will only be used as a VSC, if I want to play open, will use my S6. So all the customization ability of a Phantom does not really come into play. My price range is $250-$350. Will most likely try to find a nice used one instead of a new one, so the 2 other markers in that range would be a Grey Ghost and a Carter Buzzard/Mini. I have read a lot of reviews on both; don’t think I can go wrong with any of the 3. But would like to know how the 3 compare. I have never used a Grey Ghost or Carter but years of experience with the Phantom.

I have heard the Carter is a little more efficient on Co2 and the Carter and Lapco both have a smoother pump stock. Understand all 3 are Nelson based so they will be very similar. Are they all so close that it just comes down to personal preference? Or is one an all around a “better” gun? Also, I have notice there are very few used GG that come up for sale. Is that because there was not a lot of them sold or just players don’t sell them after that get them?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
PumpMonkey_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
It's personal preference. Paint, climate/temperature, gun configuration, and the global happiness index will likely result in a more noticeable difference in efficiency and consistency than anything inherently different between the three.

Phantoms have a lot of factory support and accessories, Carters have a great feel and uniqueness, and Lapco provides a well-balanced gun with great feel without the quirks of a Carter. My problem with the Ghost is that Lapco has offered little to no aftermarket support or options for it (what you see is what you get) and the stock barrel is way too large a bore for a closed bolt gun.

Ghost feels the best to me, but I did sell mine in favour of my Phantoms, mostly because of support and accessories (I like to change my setups).

In my opinion, if you can work out a smaller bore barrel or inserts and don't mind a VSC configuration, the Ghost is the best SC gun on the market.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
chuff chuff

Send a message via AIM to Hobbes

The pump stroke would likely be nicer on the Ghost or Buzzard due to the design, but I don't think you'll have the undercocking aftermarket options like you would on the Phantom.

I think a big reason that people choose the Ghost or Buzzard is to have something more unique.
Hobbes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Kilt Fan
Hi Pump Monkey Dave,

I'm a lifelong player, and have been shooting pump for 28 years now. I can tell you for certain that the Phantom is the way to go, especially on your stated budget. Since you already have an S6, that would round out the collection nicely for you.

A Carter is definitely in the realm of a Boutique marker, and can be very finicky. Also, if one part of a Carter happens to break, you can't just buy another part to replace it. Each gun is hand fitted, and needs special parts made for it. Lapco was one of the premier paintball marker companies in the late 80's and early 90's when Colin Thompson was at the helm, but I can't speak to their current lineup.

Mike from Phantom is a GREAT guy to deal with, is VERY approachable, and makes the highest quality Nelson based pump on the market.

Best of luck in all!
Broch

Rocking it for the Fringe Division!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fring...616810?fref=ts

Last edited by Broch; 04-11-2013 at 04:00 PM. Reason: spelling errors, I geek like that.
Broch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broch View Post
Lapco was one of the premier paintball marker companies in the late 80's and early 90's when Colin Thompson was at the helm, but I can't speak to their current lineup.
They make barrels for the A5/X7 market. That seems to be their primary business focus (understandably so). The Ghost is very much a nostalgia piece.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Stock class SPAM

You will probably get a lot of votes for phantoms in this section. Having played with Carters and Phantoms before I personally prefer a phantom. Some people like the heft a Carter has and yes the pumpstroke is amazing. Hard to get it that smooth on a phantom but it can get close. I have never played with a Lapco but many players love them so they should not be counted out as well.

Phantom - (Plus) Lots of parts available, tons of customization options from many great airsmiths here alone, many ways to set it up, and cheaper initial purchase.
(Minus) Lightweight (some people don't like this) and barrel choices sometimes limited

Carter - (Plus) Smooth pump stroke, heavier weight, used ones are much cheaper than they were before.
(Minus) Less options to modify, slightly louder sound signature, each marker is pretty much a one off so sometimes there will be some hiccups in use. (My friend has a Carter that doesn't cock every time)
808Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
One Pump Chump

Fan of EMR
Kilt Fan
Add another for the Phantom. I have been playing on and off since the late 80's. I have used a lot of different markers in that time and for the last 10 years or so have used a Phantom as my main marker. The options are seemingly endless for them, the reliability is phenomenal, and they are just plain awesome.
Currently rocking a vsc with a Walz stick feed for a little extra auto triggering..
cirkle68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Pay at the pump.

CCM Fan
Wow, thanks for the quick responses. I have used Phantoms for years, love their reliability, their ability to be customized (not really a factor here) and Mikes customer service. Just didn't know if there was something special about the Lacpo and/or Carter that would be a good reason to pick it over a Phantom.

The artist formally known as Phantom_Dave.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
When you are sitting around on your couch and compulsively fiddling with your marker, the Ghost and Carter will have a nicer feel.

When you are on the field and shooting people, you probably won't notice much.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Pay at the pump.

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by idkfa View Post
When you are sitting around on your couch and compulsively fiddling with your marker, the Ghost and Carter will have a nicer feel.

When you are on the field and shooting people, you probably won't notice much.
But I do spend a lot of time sitting around playing with my marker...

The artist formally known as Phantom_Dave.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI