mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 08-09-2013, 11:07 AM   #31 (permalink)
The Man With No Plan

CCM Fan
PBN Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by splat15k View Post
So anybody know when these barrels will actually be released? It seems they are delayed two additional weeks every week.
he told me he was aiming for supergame (next weekend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim View Post
I spoke with Mike a couple of days ago, and I thought he said that he had some production models ready. Another batch is "on the lathe" and then off to anodizing. I'd wait another week or two and then contact him to see exactly what colors and sizes he has in stock currently.

He confirmed that he is NOT accepting customers existing barrels to be Freak bored.

Barrels will only come in 3 lengths: 8" ($35), 11" ($37), and 14" ($40)
yup

Quote:
See what I mean about the two weeks!?

Thanks for the info; that pricing is outrageously awesome!

Also, I'm glad he's not boring existing barrels; that's SSC territory.
ya mike told me when people ask about boring... he sends em to me!
woooot!

Quote:
Mike explained that the reason he's not boring existing barrels is due to an issue involving the lack of material in the thread area to adequately accommodate the barrel o-ring. Even though he explained it to me in detail, I'm not 100% on his whole boring process without seeing first hand.

Apparently, it doesn't matter who is Freak boring out existing barrels - once the barrel is bored out, there simply isn't enough metal in the thread area to take a lot of stress (i.e. if the barrel is dropped on the area that's been bored out) which may break/snap the barrel. I guess most folks haven't had any problems with their SSC barrels breaking, but Mike has had a few reports about them.

The process Mike uses now allows more material in the area so this shouldn't be an issue for the CCI production barrels. Again, without seeing it first hand I can't speak with any authority on it.
i have had 1 barrel break mid use (cci barrel)
guy had it on video, full sprint, trips, phantom shoves into ground, comes up, barrel no longer on the gun

i go hard. i have never broken a phantom barrel, i bent a cp on my t2, but never broke a phantom barrel

the oring groove is thin, thinner than i would like it to be
mike changed to a thinner oring, so the groove can be thicker and now he is more confident in it holding up to the stress
super_stanchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #32 (permalink)
Ò¿Ó

Quote:
Mike explained that the reason he's not boring existing barrels is due to an issue involving the lack of material in the thread area to adequately accommodate the barrel o-ring. Even though he explained it to me in detail, I'm not 100% on his whole boring process without seeing first hand.

Apparently, it doesn't matter who is Freak boring out existing barrels - once the barrel is bored out, there simply isn't enough metal in the thread area to take a lot of stress (i.e. if the barrel is dropped on the area that's been bored out) which may break/snap the barrel. I guess most folks haven't had any problems with their SSC barrels breaking, but Mike has had a few reports about them.

The process Mike uses now allows more material in the area so this shouldn't be an issue for the CCI production barrels. Again, without seeing it first hand I can't speak with any authority on it.
This is exactly why I'm holding out for the CCI freak barrel instead of sending it to SSC. Peace of mind type of thing.
splat15k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:29 AM   #33 (permalink)
I'm Stock Classy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by super_stanchy View Post
the oring groove is thin, thinner than i would like it to be mike changed to a thinner oring, so the groove can be thicker and now he is more confident in it holding up to the stress
Yes, that was what Mike mentioned. He rattled off the difference between SSC and CCI tolerances, but I don't remember them. Just that they both seemed crazy thin to me, but then again I'm not a machinist.

Quote:
This is exactly why I'm holding out for the CCI freak barrel instead of sending it to SSC. Peace of mind type of thing.
Just like Ryan mentioned, I wouldn't worry too much about SSC barrels not holding up. Mike said that any reports of breaks due to the boring are very rare, and would be the result of extreme play/usage. He also said that having the insert in place adds strength to the area. Just need to be careful and not drop the barrel (without an insert) on it's threads. Lots of players out their can't afford a whole new barrel so having their existing barrels done by SSC is the best way to go.

Thanks for clarifying that Ryan! I really need to write down exactly what Mike says when I talk to him.

Authorized CCI Dealer Specializing in Phantom Repairs and Upgrades
Serving the Greater Fairfield and New Haven County Area of CT only

"There's playing paintball with a stock-class gun, and then there's playing stock-class paintball. Big difference."
- Slim

My Feedback

Last edited by Slim; 08-09-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #34 (permalink)
Post Whore

there been few stories about how old and new cci barrels are not really made to be bored out. they even said same for some other company barrels too since some might not have material on barrel. since might make it to weak near threading area.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:50 AM   #35 (permalink)
Stock class SPAM

BOA barrels don't have enough meat. At least phantom ones don't. My team has bored something like 15 barrels bored by SSC within the last few years. Mostly DYE and CCI, two BOA. Only break was the BOA.
808Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI