mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 07-12-2013, 10:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Best way to take apart a Phantom?

So, what's the best/easiest way to take a Phantom apart for light oiling/maintenance? Currently what I have been doing is unscrewing the front screw, slide the body forwards to take it off, oil everything, and then slide everything back on with a prayer that everything lines up again. I'm just thinking that there must be a better way. Thanks!
dragon1291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Furries are EVERYWHERE :3

take the rear thumbscrew out first, pop out the valve, then the front thumbscrew and just remove the body from the frame and slide everything out the back
just make sure you get the pump arm hole lined up on the bolt before reassembly, just leave the barrel on with the pump arm turned slightly to the side
Old 07-12-2013, 10:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Predatory Bird Oculus

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
The way you describe is pretty easy. I can break a phantom down, oil everything important, and reassemble it all in less than two minutes, just using the front thumb screw. Just takes practice.

Hawkeye20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yeah with a VSC setup it's just a pain to mess with the hardline. I know taking things out via back to front is optimal but I don't like needing a wrench every time.
dragon1291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

An easier way to disassemble a phantom for oiling is...don't. I've never oiled the internals of my phantoms in the 10+ years I've played, never saw the point/reason.
Ronan_357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Heh. A little bit of white lithium grease really smooths out my pump stroke that last bit. Since it's so bloody easy to strip a Phantom, I keep it that way.

Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

I agree, on a VSC don't bother with the rear bolt, leave the valve body in place. For all my Phantoms I assemble the barrel, pump, and body then attach it to the frame. (For my non VSC Phantoms) After that I attach my valve body.

I very, very lightly oil the barrel around the pump handle, the pump arm, the power tube, the hammer and the bolt o-ring. I then proceed to wipe off as much oil as I can, especially around the bolt o-ring and the hammer. I don't want oil on my balls or down my barrel. The Phantom doesn't need much, just a light drop to smooth things out.
1shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

No matter what, you will need to at least loosen the rear frame screw so that there is some play with the valve body so that you can get things back together. Otherwise you may have some alignment issues with the pump arm/bolt that can't be addressed if that screw is tight with out taking things apart and trying again.

But the best way to take apart a phantom and try and put it together is in the absolute pitch black in the middle of a field... after you've dropped all the guts on the ground

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
depot damager

Schmitti, it has been done. I disassemble and reassemble my Phantom like Major Payne. :-)
anomoly40 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI