mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 03:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Gauging interest in custom body

Hey Guys
Just seeing if there would be any interest in a custom body for the Phantom.
Body would have ego clamping feed neck, a cut showing so of the valve , aluminium with the option of custom anodising, built in weaver rails etc
I am open for ideas on design and optional extras

John
check out the link for parts available now
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v471/acidcustom/
acidcustom@yahoo.com.au
MCB feedback http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...ml#post2438442
Old 09-30-2013, 12:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
I'm Stock Classy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidcustom View Post
Hey Guys
Just seeing if there would be any interest in a custom body for the Phantom.
Body would have ego clamping feed neck, a cut showing so of the valve , aluminium with the option of custom anodising, built in weaver rails etc
I am open for ideas on design and optional extras

John
Hey John,

Personally, I'm fine with the body that CCI puts out, and can't see a significant way to improve on what is already offered. To be honest (since I don't play OC) I don't know the difference between the Ego clamping feedneck and the clamping feedneck that CCI produces. However, I do have some other thoughts on this...

Looks like the body you're considering is for open-class only, which leaves out all the stock-class Phantom owners. I have no idea what the actual numbers are, but I'd guess that stock-class configurations represent a significant percentage of Phantoms that are currently in use.

In regards to the few previous machinists who have produced custom Phantom bodies, I'd say that having it be cocker-threaded has been the single biggest request from players. As cocker barrels are thicker than Phantom barrels, this would mean that players would either need a bored out pump handle or under-cocking kit for it to work.

MCB member "Have Blue" from Air Soldier Products (ASP) came out with the "Roundhead" cocker-threaded barrel quite some time ago, and also offers a modified pump handle to use with it. I should note that many of the products offered on ASP's website are currently not in stock, so there may be an opportunity to fill a need here.

Lastly, I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "a cut showing so of the valve". I assume you mean showing the valve tube, since showing the actual valve would be impossible.

When CCI produced the original Phantom in 1987, one of the key selling features was that the body was completely sealed, unlike the Nel-Spot, PMI guns or the Line SI Bushmaster that were produced during that same time. A completely sealed body keeps all of the dirt, grime, rain, paint, etc out of the internals, which is one of the primary reasons the Phantom has enjoyed it's 26-year long reputation of being almost maintenance-free.

Back in the day, we had machinists left and right who thought it would be cool to mill out crazy shapes all the way through the bodies of auto-cockers and Snipers. Sure they looked cool.. until dirt got into the internals which sometimes ruined the gun. Let me just say that milling the body on a Phantom and exposing the internals for the sake of aesthetics - really, really bad idea.

Just my 2 pesos.

Authorized CCI Dealer Specializing in Phantom Repairs and Custom Work
Serving the Greater Fairfield and New Haven County Area of CT Exclusively

Slim's Spring Stock Classic - USA vs. Canada!

Buy my BadAss Stock-Class T-Shirts

My CCI, RTR, Carter, Flasc and TechT Stock-Class Parts Purge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim
There's playing paintball with a stock-class gun, and then there's playing stock-class paintball. Big difference.
My MCB Feedback
Old 09-30-2013, 01:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
I'm Stock Classy!

Now that I'm thinking about it, if you're interested in producing custom Phantom parts I'd suggest doing a grip frame. Based just on the threads here on MCB you'll see there is a definite demand.

Jcurt's 90 grip frame was pretty decent, but needed to be thicker (wider), and there always seems to be someone raving about the CCM 86 frame for the Phantom. Another grip that seems to be all the rage is the Pachmayr Vindicator AR grip.

Trouble with all of these is you can't get 'em anymore. A sick new Phantom grip would sell like hotcakes, and the best part is you wouldn't have to worry if it were stock-class or open-class.

If it was made well, compatible with with existing aftermarket grip options, drilled to accommodate existing bottomline/CCI stocks and was comfortable, then every Phantom owner on the planet would want one. Once you got the design right, the biggest problem would be keeping up with the demand.

See a need. Fill a need.

Authorized CCI Dealer Specializing in Phantom Repairs and Custom Work
Serving the Greater Fairfield and New Haven County Area of CT Exclusively

Slim's Spring Stock Classic - USA vs. Canada!

Buy my BadAss Stock-Class T-Shirts

My CCI, RTR, Carter, Flasc and TechT Stock-Class Parts Purge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim
There's playing paintball with a stock-class gun, and then there's playing stock-class paintball. Big difference.
My MCB Feedback
Old 09-30-2013, 01:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
fuchsia patent holder

agreed - cocker thread, (and a frame would be cool) also leaving the cutouts out prolly makes good sense for the reasons slim posted. If you were making custom bodies my thoughts would be similar to custom ule bodies (tac, ripper, chord, karta..etc.) for the automag. Most of them don't appear to add anything other than a coolness factor, but that's just it they're very cool.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fear the Dog!

I think "accessorizing" with custom parts would be the way to go!
The phantom body is just so solid-wouldnt want to take away from that.

Saying that, I would like to see such things as:
AC threading would be HUGE!
I would like to see custom pumps
Grip frames

This is probably one of my favorite pics of a phantom

Its just different-from the pump (happy its not round),the milling thats just something you dont see anymore.
Its easy to pick up a Phantom, but when you want to build it up to make it unique there just isnt anyone making or selling custom stuff.

My Feedback-http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...oglbs+feedback
Old 09-30-2013, 04:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Formerly lancecst

CCM Fan
I'll jump on the grip frame band waggon as well. I honestly don't see a large need for a new body or many improvements. ASP did the Roundhead for people who want cocker barrels. You can also already get an adaptor that lets you use a CCM feedneck on a stock class body.

I think a new grip frame similar to a CCM 86* I think you would sell quite a few depending on the price.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Paintball is my Obsession

You know.... if I could have a karta bodied phantom...... But nestle a custom matching stock class feed tube right between the wings. Also with an optional matching spring feed tube.

And I am fine with a stock phantom barrel. As long as it is freak bored.

But since we are going all out on ideas... An 86* angled frame with finger grooves, slider trigger, a nice humpback, and a built in snatch/fang that flows perfectly with the wings of a karta body.

Oh and a matching undercocking pump kit, because there is no point in having such as sexy marker and ruin the probably crazy anodizing on the barrel with a stock pump. But I guess I am dreaming WAY bigger than my wallet

Last edited by pghp8ntballer; 09-30-2013 at 08:04 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Yeah, a cutout seems like a terrible idea. It's bad enough getting paint into your feed tube on a gun break, getting it into the bolt is just a recipe for having to tear the whole damn thing down and clean it.

This is pretty much the opposite of what you want out of a Phantom.

I'm with the folks above, I can't really see any selling points for a new body, other than AC threading, and HaveBlue does those now. For the rest, Mike's stock bodies are damn near perfect, and if you ask nice you can get 'em with right, left, or center drilled setups with an attachable clamping feed neck from HaveBlue or CCI.

Now a grip frame might have some potential. I know I wouldn't mind something a bit more substantial than the .45 grip. A K-frame revolver grip would be ideal, but that's just me.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

ive wanted a blockhead for awhile. but have blue hasnt made any in awhile.
block head is ac threaded square top body.....perfect for some rails and attachments for feeding tubs and such that are railed.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

Thanks for all the feedback guys very positive as always, I will just clarify some things
I was not meaning exposing the internals just something like the karta body for the Amag
with the front of it being able to take a vertical mount just like the Amags do with their rail with built in rods for a under cocking handle. Also I do see why a stock class feed tube cant be made to fit on to the feed neck area just like the ego's do.
I am also looking into a grip frame design.
This is just something to make your phantom unique as I feel there are no custom parts out there for the phantom just the mass produced parts that everyone has or can buy this will make your marker stand out amongst the rest .
As I usually do my designing on the fly and how I feel at that moment, it is hard to come up with some drawings.
Grip frames
design preference would be a good direction to start for some help

thanx John
check out the link for parts available now
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v471/acidcustom/
acidcustom@yahoo.com.au
MCB feedback http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...ml#post2438442
Closed Thread

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI