mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 11-04-2013, 08:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Unibody Question

I found a green rightfeed m16 grip(?) unibody phantom locally, I was wondering if unibodies are desirable. What is the resale value for a unibody? I imagine that they are less desirable than a newer Phantoms but I figured I would ask to be sure.
emcl29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
I'm Stock Classy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcl29 View Post
I found a green rightfeed m16 grip(?) unibody phantom locally, I was wondering if unibodies are desirable. What is the resale value for a unibody? I imagine that they are less desirable than a newer Phantoms but I figured I would ask to be sure.
From a performance aspect regarding any gun the most important factor is the paint (size, age, quality, etc). The second most important factor is the barrel. Personally, I don't find uni-bodies desirable in the least due to the large-bore fixed barrel. Uni-body Phantoms from the late 80's have a far bigger bore than the size paint that is being produced today. I believe that CCI's current barrel bore is .685, which still results in numerous rollouts. A uni-body Phantom will probably be .689 (or larger) which will result in endless rollouts, horrible accuracy and extremely poor 12-gram efficiency.

As far as resale value goes, it just like anything else - it's what an interested buyer is willing to spend. Since the 1980's CCI has redesigned/reconfigured the valve tube, bolt, breech, barrel, velocity adjuster, pump and (among other things) introduced the VSC configuration. While I've seen uni-bodies listed for over a $100, I wouldn't pay even half of that because the out-dated and worn parts simply wouldn't justify the expense.

Do yourself a favor and pass on it. Spend a little more on a used newer one and save yourself the headaches.

Get awesome Stock-Class Patches HERE

"There's playing paintball with a stock-class gun, and then there's playing stock-class paintball. Big difference."
- Slim

One of the oldest teams in paintball with original members still playing - Tactical Assault Command

My Feedback
Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Kind of what I figured, thanks for validating my assumptions. The guy wanted $50 for it so it piqued my interest. I did not know if they had any additional value based on rarity. Thanks
Old 11-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
For $50 it might be worth having. Even if you don't use the body, the trigger group, grip, pump, and internals would still be just fine on a modern Phantom.

Buy yourself a barrel and a new body, and viola, working Phantom.

Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Mod Fodder

Fan of EMR
Brass and Wood Fan
For $50 I would jump on it. Have Blue can do the ASP detent mod for $25 that should eliminate double feeds and rollouts. I'm still kuicking myself for not buying the blue Phantom Shadow that Bacci had reduced to $75 for his last birthday sale.

Quote:
When I ran, I didn't feel like a runaway
When I escaped, I didn't feel like I'd got away
There's more to living than only surviving
Maybe I'm not there, but I'm still trying
Little spoon
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Mod Fodder

Fan of EMR
Brass and Wood Fan
But if you decide not to buy, at least post the link.

Quote:
When I ran, I didn't feel like a runaway
When I escaped, I didn't feel like I'd got away
There's more to living than only surviving
Maybe I'm not there, but I'm still trying
Little spoon
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rec Poster

This is what I was looking at, any idea on approximate value? The poster did not offer much more info besides the fact that it "works great"

Last edited by emcl29; 11-04-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
I'm Stock Classy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
For $50 I would jump on it. Have Blue can do the ASP detent mod for $25 that should eliminate double feeds and rollouts. I'm still kuicking myself for not buying the blue Phantom Shadow that Bacci had reduced to $75 for his last birthday sale.
While a detent mod may prevent double feeds and some roll outs, it does nothing for accuracy and efficiency. Only a tight paint-to-bore match will help with that.

If you're looking at it as a project gun, then offer the guy $35 and tell him you're buying it for parts as the body, tank, springs and seals need to be replaced (unless they were recently replaced and the tank recently hydro'd). As Whiteout mentioned, then buy a new body and barrel. The trigger group, pump and internals will hopefully be in good condition. Worst case, you'd have to buy a new bolt, TPC and valve tube as well.

Get awesome Stock-Class Patches HERE

"There's playing paintball with a stock-class gun, and then there's playing stock-class paintball. Big difference."
- Slim

One of the oldest teams in paintball with original members still playing - Tactical Assault Command

My Feedback

Last edited by Slim; 11-04-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

I wouldn't hesitate. If you want one to play
with except it will have rollouts and poor efficiency but they are cool. It's fun to own and play with old guns, they have character. Personally I think that price is low. I would have expected $100-$150 range if it's in good working condition. But maybe that is more for collectors.
1shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Thanks for the input all. Since I decided to pass on this and someone asked, I am going to post the CL link, not sure what the policy is but it is not my listing. Please delete if not appropriate.

Components Concepts Phantom Paintball Marker

BTW this has been posted 3 of 4 times on CL so I don't think they have had any interest.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI