mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 11-20-2013, 07:11 PM   #21 (permalink)
MCB Member

I don't get how a platform like the Sniper, which lacks an autotrigger, is considerably less efficient, has a longer pump stroke and a longer lock time and weighs as much as TWO Phantoms could be considered to a "performance edge".

Oh yeah wait, I forgot about "thumbing the rod", you can't do that on a Phantom.............
Old 11-20-2013, 10:00 PM   #22 (permalink)
I'm Stock Classy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-SHOOTIST View Post
I don't get how a platform like the Sniper, which lacks an autotrigger, is considerably less efficient, has a longer pump stroke and a longer lock time and weighs as much as TWO Phantoms could be considered to a "performance edge".

Oh yeah wait, I forgot about "thumbing the rod", you can't do that on a Phantom.............
Come on El Jeffe, I wasn't running a factory stock Sniper. That would be crazy. Just like I wouldn't run with a factory Phantom - you know I modded the shizzle out of that thing. Of course it had an auto-trigger, and a modified bolt, and a lightened cocking block, and a velocity lock down, and a ball detent, and multiple custom barrels, and a modified PGP trigger, and a reg, and so on and so on.

I actually bought my Sniper before I bought my first Phantom, and did a lot of side-by-side tests (I was bored and working in a paintball store at the time). After it was modded, the action on the Sniper was like butter - especially the auto-trigger. It had a lot more solid stroke than the Phantom which gave me a tighter grouping when rapid firing.

And efficiency isn't an issue when you're running a 20oz CA on a remote line - doesn't matter what pump you're using. As far as pump stroke and "lock time" go, my Sniper has a shorter pump stroke than a Phantom by about a quarter of an inch. But the real performance edge for me was that my Sniper was significantly out distancing my Phantom - same paint, same FPS at the chrono. The accuracy was no joke either. Could have been the barrels. Could have been the bolt design/valve system. Also, if you pinched a ball, it took seconds to pull the bolt and run a squeegee through. You chop a ball in a Phantom, and you'll never get it as clean as you would a Sniper during game play.

Like we said though, the weight of the Sniper was just stupid. Especially after all the crap I added to it - telescoping T-stock, feed neck extension, expansion chamber, etc. I remember my Sniper weighed in around 5.25lbs. and my Phantom was less than half of that (that's without CA or hoppers). Nice upper-body workout for real men!

So, in regards to the comment about preferring a Sniper-based platform (such as the new CCMs) over a Phantom for open-class play, I'm in agreement - especially given their lighter weight. But like 1shot mentioned, the cost of these new toys can be prohibitive which makes the Phantom the next best choice.

BTW, the thought of you "thumbing your rod" has made me consider therapy.

Authorized CCI Dealer Specializing in Phantom Repairs and Custom Work
Serving the Greater Fairfield and New Haven County Area of CT Exclusively

Buy my BadAss Stock-Class T-Shirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim
There's playing paintball with a stock-class gun, and then there's playing stock-class paintball. Big difference.
My MCB Feedback

Last edited by Slim; 11-20-2013 at 10:05 PM.
Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:33 AM   #23 (permalink)
MCB Member

My snipers just have very cheap after market pumps (they started as Autocockers). I put a lighter pump return spring on and shortened the pump arm considerably. They are very light and smooth. I haven't measured recently but the pump stroke is shorter the Phantom. The lock time I don't have any reliable way to measure, nor have I given it much thought in a paintball gun. Given the poor accuracy of paintballs I don't think lock time is to critical in pumps. It's an interesting thought.

Excluding very poor quality out of round paint I have never/can't recall (knock on wood) chopping a ball with the Phantom. The sloped design of the bolt tends to just push the ball back up the feed tube. The square face of sniper bolts has been a different story.
1shot is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI