mcarterbrown.com

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 11-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Freak + Detent Rings

I have a WWA barrel that I stopped using several years ago because paint was below .69 (not to mention the boar looks unpolished) and I couldn't find a smaller insert. I made the switch to Mike's detent rings and stock barrel. At first I broke a tun of paint so I stopped using them and went old school without. Then I found that even though the field didn't list the price of high end paint by the bag, if I asked they would sell it to me.

Good paint and detent rings has worked very well for me. They definitely seem much less forgiving then freak inserts. Now that we can easily get .675 freak inserts I was thinking of having some barrels board. My concern is that I'm already consistently using the .675 insert in my Sniper and the .674 ring with the Phantoms. If paint continues to shrink will I have to wait several years for someone to make an insert small enough?

I'm thinking of trying a detent ring with a freak insert. I would think (hypothetically, just pulling these sizes randomly) a .674 ring to a .679 freak insert would at least increase efficiency (compared to detent ring with stock barrel). Has anyone tried this? I would hate to commit my custom anodized barrel to freak only to not be able to use it next spring.

Maybe I should just get ASP detents with Freak bore.
1shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

I recommend the ASP detents with a freak bored barrel. They've been working great for me all season with zero ball breaks. I don't think my dsp phantom has ever broken a ball come to think of it. I use one of Ty's brass inserts (.675) and they are great. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe he makes .670 and even .665. I haven't seen paint that small yet but if it does continue to shrink at least he's there to help us all out.

With the smaller freak inserts I have zero rollouts. The asp detents just help with any potential double feeds in my experience.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

Brass Freak compatible inserts

Best freak inserts you can buy, goes down to .670 but also says .665 in his sig.
Ronan_357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 12:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

That is comforting. Wish I'd bought from him instead of gog.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Buzz Killington

TechT Paintball Products - Product Detail - iFIT- Phantom 6-Piece and Pump Handle Combo - $124.98
it has inserts small enough. They also sell an extra insert that goes to .667

#SOSUNITEDSTATESCONSTITUTION
Scharfschutze91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Brass Mafia Wannabe

CCM Fan
Ty's inserts go all the way down to .665...and trust me, around here we've had to use them.

The detent rings/freak insert is an interesting idea, but I feel that it really is overkill. Honestly, you'd be better off just getting the ASP detent rather than having to match paint twice with 2 different sizer kits (thus increasing how much you need to bring to the field).

As for efficiency, the insert probably wouldn't make any noticeable difference. For that, you would need to get a full barrel kit where the inner bore is consistent throughout before you actually notice it. The freak kit only adds efficiency when its squeezing the ball and reduces blowby. By narrowing the barrel bore down for about 5", you won't really see a difference.
Leave me some feedback if you've dealt with me:
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
artguy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artguy63 View Post
As for efficiency, the insert probably wouldn't make any noticeable difference. For that, you would need to get a full barrel kit where the inner bore is consistent throughout before you actually notice it. The freak kit only adds efficiency when its squeezing the ball and reduces blowby. By narrowing the barrel bore down for about 5", you won't really see a difference.
I don't know if it made a difference in shot count but on a cool day with my Micro Phantom I could only hit, very inconsistently, averaging some ware around 210-240fps. This was the 6" stock barrel, no detent. With the detent added my velocity jumped to 270-280fps and much more consistent. I wish I remembered the exact details. Considering how short detent rings are I was impressed.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Brass Mafia Wannabe

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shot View Post
I don't know if it made a difference in shot count but on a cool day with my Micro Phantom I could only hit, very inconsistently, averaging some ware around 210-240fps. This was the 6" stock barrel, no detent. With the detent added my velocity jumped to 270-280fps and much more consistent. I wish I remembered the exact details. Considering how short detent rings are I was impressed.
Because it kind of makes a seal around the ball to minimize how much gas is blowing around the sides of it as you fire the marker (think of it almost as an o ring).

For true efficiency, you'd want to match the entire barrel to the paint bore, as well as respring your gun. If you really want to fool around, get a milled hammer and change up your set up (BBA vs. VSC. vs. dropout).
Leave me some feedback if you've dealt with me:
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
artguy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Buzz Killington

I think you run the risk of breaking the detent rings, and or making a messy paint mess inside the breach

#SOSUNITEDSTATESCONSTITUTION
Scharfschutze91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Yeah, ASP detents and a Palmer barrel with wedgits pretty much solved my rollout issues entirely, even with tiny paint.

Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI