mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 12-09-2014, 07:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

barrels bored out for freaks.

i would like to pin this in cci thread. since i want people to see info about get barrel bored out for freaks inserts. not all phantoms have same threading. so when you get barrel bored out for freaks. it might now work for all phantoms since he change threading over the years. not sure on year he change threading on phantom. also some older dye boomsticks have old threading too. so if lookign to get barrel bored out for freaks make sure it barrel that fits gun. so you do not get screw find out barrel will not work on you gun.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mike now sells factory bored barrels so it shouldn't be a problem with newer phantoms.

J and J also uses a different style of threads for their phantom barrels and that resulted in not fitting all bodies, however while it may be difficult to find someone who can rethread a phantom barrel it's not impossible.
Ronan_357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
I'm Stock Classy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronan_357 View Post
Mike now sells factory bored barrels so it shouldn't be a problem with newer phantoms.

J and J also uses a different style of threads for their phantom barrels and that resulted in not fitting all bodies, however while it may be difficult to find someone who can rethread a phantom barrel it's not impossible.
Newer Phantoms aren't the problem. It's a limited number of very old breeches that will be an issue, but only if someone tries to use a newer barrel on them. I'd guess that this is only going to be a problem for maybe 5% of the Phantom owners world wide. Probably less.

I'm not sure suggesting trying to find someone to re-thread a new barrel is the way to go here. There isn't a lot of meat on Phantom barrels to begin with - especially a Freak bored one. There's a good chance re-threading it may ruin it.

For those that are dealing with this problem... If you care enough to upgrade your 20-something year old barrel, why wouldn't you just replace the old breech as well? This is a fairly simple issue to deal with. I don't think it warrants sticky status.

EDIT: after re-reading this, I understand what is being said... Yes, some of the older barrels were threaded differently as well, which is part of the problem (including aftermarket DYE, J&J, etc.). Still, the best solution is to just replace the old barrel and breech with new ones.

Get awesome Stock-Class Patches HERE

"There's playing paintball with a stock-class gun, and then there's playing stock-class paintball. Big difference."
- Slim

One of the oldest teams in paintball with original members still playing - Tactical Assault Command

My Feedback

Last edited by Slim; 12-10-2014 at 09:08 AM.
Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim View Post
Newer Phantoms aren't the problem. It's a limited number of very old breeches that will be an issue, but only if someone tries to use a newer barrel on them. I'd guess that this is only going to be a problem for maybe 5% of the Phantom owners world wide. Probably less.

I'm not sure suggesting trying to find someone to re-thread a new barrel is the way to go here. There isn't a lot of meat on Phantom barrels to begin with - especially a Freak bored one. There's a good chance re-threading it may ruin it.

For those that are dealing with this problem... If you care enough to upgrade your 20-something year old barrel, why wouldn't you just replace the old breech as well? This is a fairly simple issue to deal with. I don't think it warrants sticky status.

EDIT: after re-reading this, I understand what is being said... Yes, some of the older barrels were threaded differently as well, which is part of the problem (including aftermarket DYE, J&J, etc.). Still, the best solution is to just replace the old barrel and breech with new ones.
thats why i want to pin this so people can read about threading change over years
Old 12-14-2014, 06:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Stuck.
dukie is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI