mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 06-21-2017, 06:36 AM   #11 (permalink)
MCB Member

Apparently this Fieldsport Micro Red Dot is a pretty good $20 option according to This guy on youtube.

Also love the conversation from this other MCB thread
Reccomended Red Dot Sight
Attached Images

Last edited by Bang*Bang**; 06-21-2017 at 06:56 AM.
Bang*Bang** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:41 AM   #12 (permalink)
JKR
AKA: Wraith

I own three Armson sights currently and have absolutely zero regrets. It doesn't take long to get used to sighting with them despite having to keep both eyes open. They are far tougher than anything I have found in red dot sights and not having to worry about batteries is great.

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
-- George Washington

Feedback
JKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:25 AM   #13 (permalink)
MCB Member

I'm always happy to see this topic brought up. I think a lot of first time Phantom users could avoid some frustration by starting out with a sight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
1shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 12:02 PM   #14 (permalink)

I had a rotten time with my Armson OEG. The parallax was super awful and felt just as approximate as sighting down the barrel.

A cheapie red dot felt miles better.
NotBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 12:27 PM   #15 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang*Bang** View Post
Apparently this Fieldsport Micro Red Dot is a pretty good $20 option according to This guy on youtube.
This is a weaver base though. The only 3/8" dovetail versions I've seen are more expensive, and keep shifting models or brands (Sunoptics?). I would like a tougher battery powered sight; I use the battery at night but tend to bump around a little, which is hard on plastic daisy sights.

Armson has tritium again which I like, but I've watched tritium fade before. It's a sad thing because it is so magical while it works.

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 09:59 PM   #16 (permalink)

I used a Tasco BKRD3022 on a 3/8ths rail and it took direct hits fine.

The Phantom rail doesn't work for some adapters which expect a flat lower plane.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:01 AM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotBrian View Post
The Phantom rail doesn't work for some adapters which expect a flat lower plane.
Does anyone know of a dovetail to picatinny adapter that work on a phantom?

This adapter on amazon.ca seems promising.

Also, I'm thinking of doing a poor man's "bore sighting" by taping a laser pointer to my barrel, pointing at a wall, and then setting the red dot to that for a starting point. Kinda like in this video. No idea how it will work though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YgCd6ceoaM&fs=1" width="644" height="390">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YgCd6ceoaM&fs=1" />https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YgCd6ceoaM">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YgCd6ceoaM

This is all your fault, 1Shot! Kidding of course. If this will help with that first shot accuracy, I want to give it a shot... a 1shot.
Bang*Bang** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:34 AM   #18 (permalink)
JKR
AKA: Wraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotBrian View Post
I had a rotten time with my Armson OEG. The parallax was super awful and felt just as approximate as sighting down the barrel.

A cheapie red dot felt miles better.
Although it doesn't make sighting problems any less real, I suspect your problem isn't with the sight (parallax isn't something non-magnified sights have issues with) but is rather with your eye dominance and using OEG sights. They aren't for everyone, obviously.

BTW, any red dot sight can be used like an OEG if you have one and are wanting to see what the Armson is like. Just cover your red dot sight with a sight cover or even tape to simulate what an OEG sight is like. Of course, the size of the sight will affect the actual use of the OEG experiment. A very large red dot sight, for instance, would probably be difficult to sight in given the size of the area you will not be able to see through.

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
-- George Washington

Feedback
JKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 10:13 AM   #19 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR View Post
Although it doesn't make sighting problems any less real, I suspect your problem isn't with the sight (parallax isn't something non-magnified sights have issues with) but is rather with your eye dominance and using OEG sights. They aren't for everyone, obviously.
Agreed. I used to think that people who used rifle scopes with both eyes wide open were weird, as I'm cross-dominant. Sights are like grip frames; somewhere between the marker, your body and your play-style, little differences can make a marker much more comfortable.

I think eye dominance comes out in the vert-feed and left/right feed discussions as well. I was really disappointed when my right feed level 5 automag came back from the factory with a powerfeed-hopper left. I didn't know exactly why at the time, but I was "WTF???" for years while many were saying it was so much better.

some things are stickier than others

Last edited by Spider!; 06-23-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 08:20 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang*Bang** View Post
Does anyone know of a dovetail to picatinny adapter that work on a phantom?
You can mount this rail on a Phantom. You'll only need one extra hole on the rail which is easy enough to freehand. Will make removing powertube a pain but it's something I never end up doing.

22 Target Pistol Scope Base Adapter (Weaver-Style)-ShopRuger

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI