mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 12-10-2015, 10:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Underdog? I got your back

Armson sights

Recently saw a little chit chat about Armson sights and thought I'd bring it up here as to not threadjack and subsequently get railed by the thread Nazi.
Who likes them, not? Or what alternative?
I've tried them and liked them a lot better back in the day, but with my current play style, I rarely have both eyes exposed to the target at the same time which makes for a very weird experience using one. Anyone else have trouble with this?
I don't currently use any sort of sight/optic. Just a S/C left feed body looking down the pipe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBull View Post
i think the phantom needle is in my arm for good now..
Feedback
RatFink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 10:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

I've used the OEG and really like it. I have had a 30mm BSA Red Dot which was also nice, and I currently am using an ADCO Red Dot on a VSC Phantom, but I don't like it as much as the OEG.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

I still like mine on a "pistol" (no bottle or stock). Woodsball especially, when threading between branches. You can snap shoot with it on subsequent shots by holding your gun up on target while behind the bunker and looking where you imagine your target is on the other side. When you pop out of the side, you are very close to being on. As I usually point out, it's easy when you are off-hand eye-dominant because your strong eye watches the target and the weak eye catches the dot. I use red dot sights at night as occluded sights, hitting shadows that don't belong, which is entertaining enough to use a cheap daisy sight.

Usually, my reaction shot is not sighted, but after one or two, I find the dot drifting in to my vision, and then I just have to wait for a ball to fly straight. They are also great for elevation on long bunkers where people like to hang out too far and you need to be accurate on the first shot.

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 01:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

I've had an OEG on my VSC since I got the gun 6 years ago. Awesome little sight.
I prefer the sight picture of powered dot sights when I can get them, but the fact that I never have to worry about my Armson not having a working battery, and the fact that it's paintball-proof from any angle make it ideal for something as minimalist as a Phantom, even if it does mean that the sight is less useful in certain angles.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 06:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

I run sights on all my stock class. They fit very nicely on and compliment a Phantom very well. With practice you can one eye an Armson and still play tight. Not nearly as effective as both eyes but can keep you from getting shot. Armson sights are rugged, light weight and don't need batteries. Those are the reasons I primarily use them. My favorite Phantom uses a BSA Red Dot, it's nice to be able to play tight and still have optimal sight picture, down side is weight and a battery.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449875045.154213.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  244.1 KB

I hate this old Dye Izon, but they fit very nicely on PGPs. It's an almost impossible sight to use without lots of practice. Very hard to find the dot if you're not used to it.
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449875126.976952.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  254.3 KB

This is an old Crosman from the 90's. It works like an Armson but much cheaper. I had 3 of them, this is my last fully intact one. I loved these, very easy to use, very light, tougher then it looks. I wish I could find more. When this one breaks (it's at least 16y old) I'll get another Armson.
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449875514.225706.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  270.6 KB

Sorry for all the non CCI [emoji3]
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449875738.829996.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  272.6 KB

I don't use sights for every shot but I try too. I've missed a lot of easy shots not using the sights. With the sights easy shots are almost guaranteed hits, it is still paintball after all. With practice over the years, I don't think like they slow me down much at all. Anymore I feel that an unaimed shot is a lazy or desperate shot. I will admit I generally don't use them playing open class or semi.

The Phantom, being my favorite and most used gun just seems to point well for me anyway. Adding the sights (and for some of them stocks) make the experience just a bit sweeter.
1shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 07:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Stock class SPAM

I play with Armsons as well. You'll get used to using and ignoring it while playing. Even shooting up close to trees its not a problem.
808Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 11:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shot View Post

I hate this old Dye Izon, but they fit very nicely on PGPs. It's an almost impossible sight to use without lots of practice. Very hard to find the dot if you're not used to it.
Attachment 51371
I picked up a brand-new DYE iZon and was shocked at how inferior the dot brightness was compared to my Armson, or even my 32 Degrees Magnum dot sight which was copied from the iZon. Eventually I tore the DYE sight apart because I figured that it HAD to have been mismanufactured. This wasn't the case, but I did end up rebuilding the guts of the sight to have a larger aperture and re-positioned where it sat. Putting it back together was an ordeal and a half, but once I was done it was roughly has good as my 32 Degrees sight.

Writeup here. Unfortunately Imageshack ate my pictures years ago.
Ever wondered what the inside of a DYE iZon sight looks like?
Old 12-12-2015, 07:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Ya, they're really a bad product.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:28 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shot View Post
Ya, they're really a bad product.
I wonder if they improved the design with the new model.

Old 12-12-2015, 11:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

If someone knows I'd like to hear. I'm not willing to take the chance myself. I've got 2 old style Izons and they are both horrible. I only use them because of how easily I can mount them to the PGP and P68.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI