mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 07-15-2017, 09:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maestro

Exclamation Phantom shooting low on co2

Came back from the field and noticed the gun was shooting low with co2 (3.5oz and 12 grams). Turned bolt about 4 full turns and was barely making it to 260s. It even sounded weak when shooting.

But when i would use my 13ci hpa it will shoot hard, around 300s, so i had to turn velocity back down.
Even the pump stroke felt harsh and sticky.

Everything looks clean and oiled inside the gun. Blue loctite on valve stem/power tube. I always keep the gun clean inside out so these 2 things have me worried.

Advice needed,

Thanks
GauchoRockero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 09:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Harvey Ran Me Off!!!

Mine occasionally does the same, especially when I leave the 12g between games. I tested it by shooting 20 slow shots, then leaving it in the sun for 20 minutes (it got too hot to hold), then shooting the rest of the gas. It took nearly 20 slow shots to return to proper fps. I got nearly 60 shots out before the gas was gone.

So, I'm following this thread.

Near Houston TX? Check out the
Houston Area Stock Class Group
Mithuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Are you running a regulator on your Phantom? How hot was it at the paintball field today?

This would be my guess without seeing your set up. Since you were able to swap between CO2 and HPA and saw a change, you can lean toward looking at your gas supply. I think your 3.5 ounce tank and 12 grams were out on a hot summer day at the field. The CO2 pressure rises from the sun being hot today; think of why a burst disc pops.

Now, since your CO2 power source has a much higher output pressure that is going into your Phantom's valve. Because of this the hammer needs more force to strike the power tube to open as it is fighting the valve spring and the increased pressure of the CO2. Envision trying to close the front door of your house on a windy day.

Or you had the 3.5 tank and 12 grams in a cooler and the pressure of the CO2 was way too low when you were in the chrono area.

You mentioned it was hard to pump the Phantom. It might be from having the adjuster four turns in. You are now fighting increased main spring pressure to engage the bolt to the hammer. Have to be cautious of turning the adjuster in too much, at a certain point there is not much thread engagement between the bolt and the Tuned Port Compensator. The combination of minimal thread engagement and increased main spring force will cause damage to the threads.

I would take apart the Phantom at home and make sure nothing is bent or damaged. Look at the pump arm and return spring to see if there is binding as you pump the marker. Make sure the marker is clean and assembled properly, sometimes we are rushing and make a careless error.

I'm also assuming you were the same paint with a good fit to the barrel. And you didn't change your set up when you swapped your air sources and saw a difference on the chronograph.

Last edited by balrog; 07-15-2017 at 10:48 PM.
balrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maestro

Is not regulated, a stock VSC with a freak bored barrel.
It was around 95, pretty hot day. The backgauhe was showing 1200 psi.

I kinda see your reasons why, i will check later on but like i say. I always take care of her. Sad because i been wanting to get into true stock class using 12ies.

Last edited by GauchoRockero; 07-15-2017 at 10:47 PM.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Harvey Ran Me Off!!!

I just put a gauge and reg on my phantom today. I'll run some tests this week and see if my situation changes. So far, the cci reg + 12g combo has been a little disappointing. I've noticed that the initial pressure is still at 800 (while set lower). Anyway, one problem at a time.

Old 07-15-2017, 10:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithuna View Post
I just put a gauge and reg on my phantom today. I'll run some tests this week and see if my situation changes. So far, the cci reg + 12g combo has been a little disappointing. I've noticed that the initial pressure is still at 800 (while set lower). Anyway, one problem at a time.

I also heard that adding a cci reg is kinda counter.
Bring your feedback when done please
Old 07-15-2017, 10:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

If you have recently switched to CO2 from HPA, you probably just need to change up your main spring and valve spring combination.
balrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 11:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Harvey Ran Me Off!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GauchoRockero View Post
I also heard that adding a cci reg is kinda counter.
Bring your feedback when done please
I got it and tested it briefly today. Several things I noticed:
- I got no more shots per 12g than before, at 750psi or roughly 600psi
- The initial pressure was higher than what the reg should have allowed in both cases
- Consistency was no better. But that was probably due to poor paint to barrel match. I will retest with a tighter bore tomorrow. *As a side note, the Draxxus I bought from academy is the smallest paint I've ever used. I was using 677 for the test, but tried the reball/675 and had no problem shooting it. Literally any smaller and it'd be too small for current Freak inserts.

Old 07-15-2017, 11:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GauchoRockero View Post

It was around 95, pretty hot day. The backgauhe was showing 1200 psi.

Small gauges are generally not the most accurate, (however they usually are precise/repeatable )I wouldn't be surprised if you were even higher. Still this is an excellent example of how a gauge can tip you off to a problem. Next time try storing your 12 grams in a cooler. Go easy on the ice packs, not trying to freeze them, just keep them out of the sun. I often don't even use an ice pack, the cooler is usually enough. If you notice a big change on your gauge, bleed off some CO2. Probably should re chrono. If all else fails, run HPA. I know the size and weight becomes a handicap but you will still have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
1shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 11:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Harvey Ran Me Off!!!

After I posted this (Phantom problem. Help please.), and didn't really get anywhere, I began playing "modified stock class" (Slim, forgive me) with a 13ci tank and stock class feed.

It's not the "stock class" I would want, but I play to have fun not to wrestle with my marker.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI