mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 01-18-2008, 04:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Phantom Barrel Options Advice

I'm considering a barrel kit option for my Phantom, and I'm wondering what people suggest. I already have detent rings, btw.

I was mainly thinking about grabbing one of WWA's bored stock barrels that takes Freak inserts. I've heard the WWA horror stories but its on eBay and it seems his feedback is good. I'm hoping he treats his eBay sales better but maybe I'm wrong about it. Anyway, for $42 its cheaper than the Freak back.
The I figured that I would get 3 inserts smaller than .691. Maybe a .679, .684, and a .686 or 88.
Anyone have any thoughts on this? I don't really want to drop 130 on a PPS or get a J&J kit for over a 100. I already bought a Scepter kit for my cocker and I'm reluctant to go over $100 for another kit.

cheers

My feedback:
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...tml#post245068

My eBay ID: kanal666
Carl Hungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

Take your stock barrel, and send it to Mongo or Twinky to have them bore it out for inserts ($20-$30 + Shipping)

I've dealt with Mongo and have only heard of great things about Twinky.

How much longer is the Scephter insert than the Freak? Talk to them and they might be able to bore out your barrel to fit the Scepter's

EL Gringo's Feedback
Buy my Black Phoon
El Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

Ok cool, I didn't realize there were other guys here doing that. Thanks for the heads up man. I would be a pig in crap if I could use the Scepters in the Phantom somehow...

My feedback:
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...tml#post245068

My eBay ID: kanal666
Carl Hungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

get the WWA barrel on ebay. i did, that's what i loaned out at one shot.
freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 02:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
I also think that a bored out stock barrel is the best option. It gives you a nice variety of inserts, and I find it works very well. I have been using one for a little over a month.

I hate supporting Smart Parts, but I am sure they must have actually invented the inserts themselves, right?
Old 01-18-2008, 03:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

All I know is my PPS barrel is AWESOME.

This thing is so consistant that I can't believe it. I've actually kinda' been trying to make it inconsistant since I got it. I keep it loaded and ready (of course all safety precautions are taken) in a room that regularly fluctuates in temperature and humidity. Every once in a while I'll take a few shots at a target I've got out in the yard about 70' away. I've even been shooting from three widely varying bags of paint (Evil, Heat, and Polar Ice). I've been doing this since I got my Phantom and since I bought the PPS barrel I haven't missed that target. I can't say the same for my results with the J&J edge (which I loved before I got the PPS), or the stock barrel, which both had random wingers.

Granted it cost me like $170 (16", .685, dual-vented, dust black) so you get what you pay for.

Oh... and my target is a two foot length of 4"x4" lumber leaned up against a fence. So I'm hitting a 4" wide spot from 70' with a little vertical leeway. And I'm using a red-dot.

Last edited by Basshead; 01-18-2008 at 03:41 PM.
Basshead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

If you dont already have Freak inserts, I highly recommend you get the Python kit, available here. It will likely save you some pennies, and you just use them behind your stock barrel. Good luck!
MrJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Lapco. My buddy uses one and likes it quite a bit.

Deadbox Apparel | Deadbox's Myspace | Deadbox on Facebook
Proudly Supported by: My Wife | WPN | Lapco l Tiberius Arms | SC Village | Tippmann | JT
zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Why not the J&J? You can get used elite kits for ~100. And it comes with 4 barrels Just sell one or two (or be nice to those fat stock barrel owners) and share them out.

That's why I got mine. My phantom just hates the new micro paint. I figure I'm getting at least 2 useable barrels for one good price, maybe even three.
ehos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 02:13 AM   #10 (permalink)

I would Consider Either PPS Brass, JJ Kits, and/or Lapco Accushot. Stock Barrel s exceptional too.
Proud owner of a Phantom!
Proud owner Of an Automag!

pinesftw is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI