mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 09-01-2017, 09:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

Some build questions from a Phantom newb

Slowly working on acquiring parts for a phantom pistol build, something Duck-ish in size and playability but less expensive and more practical.

The plan is for a short barreled, short pump-handled marker with one of Apocalypse's short spring FastPheeds (already in hand). Possibly also one of his k-frame adapters or a DSP frame/valve if I'm lucky enough to track one down.

The one thing I don't want (admittedly a more aesthetic issue) is a full length side-port valve. Does anyone still make bobbed valve bodies these days?

A concern i have is pump stroke; I honestly can't remember the last time I've touched a phantom (or if I ever have) but I have seen posts about the stroke being somewhat stiff. How much can you play with hammer/valve springs to help this without wrecking the reliability/consistency on 12 grams?
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

From my experience, changing the springs for pump stroke is not where you want to be on a phantom. Your phantom will tell you when to change springs: when you are not getting enough velocity.

The dual rod u/c kit with no return springs is the lightest pump stroke. Its not going to be a ccm, but the stiffness of the phantom pump stroke is exaggerated. Its just not that bad, even without modification. But again, its not going to feel like a pgp or a sheridan based gun.

As for bobbed valves, not sure who is doing that. But, I make a cheap and ugly bobbed valve if you are interested. Or, I can tell you the process if you want to DIY.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

In the world I see - you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying strips of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway.

Visit my Etsy store:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/crowsnestwampum
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 12:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

I tried to make a Phantom pistol for fun and it wasn't all that super
I won't dissuade you though because the resale for the pistol Phantom parts makes it an OK experiment
I however like a full-length Phantom and the shoulder support

If you don't mind being dissuaded,
If you want to surpass the Phantom in accuracy but with a pistol I would go with a PGP2K, which shoots the same diameter paintballs and the accuracy was stellar the one time I was plinking with a friend's at a long-range chrono

Every bit as accurate as the Phantom and maybe even a smidge moreso to my surprise, and I love the accuracy of my Phantom so that says a lot
Pittsburgh Stinkbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Personally I enjoy my Micro Pham. If you like pump pistol play it's a great option.

Pump stroke on the Phantom is very smooth one broken in. However it's never going to be as light as a CCM. I have some CCM'd snipers and a handful of Phantoms. Wile playing on the field I never notice the "heavier" pump stroke of the Phantom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
1shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Micro phantoms are a lot of fun, extremely challenging to use also (at least for me) I feel like they are best for objective based games, just focus on moving and the goal instead of trying to trade shots with other players.
estin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Yeah a micro Phantom is a "backpack" gun for me for when I rush the flag or center-flag unarmed and want to be the first to get it
Pittsburgh Stinkbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 02:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Chuck E Ducky

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Cutting a valve down is simple. (Pointless but simple) you can plug the hole created by cutting the back off by taping the hole and adding a simple grub screw then a reano if you want it to look good.

Messing with phantom internals rarely results in any gain in performance or reliability. Stock is best.

Things I would suggest you don't do are cut the valve or mess with internals. Other then that the Kframe build and Spring feeds are very cool mods for the phantom. Keep in mind micro setups are less efficient and harder to aim but that don't make them any less fun to play with.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

I wish Mike offered a factory short valve. I just like the look.

Easy to turn them down. Most people don't do a great job tapping the side again though!

I'd line up your tool with the existing side port and drill and tap the new side port before you cut original down.

You will have a hole in the back to plug. It's cool to plug it with a smaller than 1/8npt fitting. You can polish the raw aluminum on the back and it looks cool and gives off an "I optimise my ****" vibe. That's my feeling.

PSA: To post direct images when using imgur or other hosting site, copy the "direct link" url in between these image tags [img]yoururlhere[/img]
Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 11:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

^ I agree the short valve body looks really clean and sleek. Some argue the small valve chamber for better efficiency but I couldn't claim to know less about that. Just like how it looks.
estin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 03:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

I could be wrong but I don't think they change the internal volume of a valve that's been bobbed, just trim the fat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
1shot is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI