mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 02-07-2008, 03:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
lively as a coma

The air definitely made it to the valve. I just cocked it with out air and pulled the trigger and it fired. I tried it again and got nothing.
hockeytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

So now it's intermittent firing.... hmmmm

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
Supernatural Anaesthetist

Send a message via AIM to Wycke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
Try a tank.
One of these:

I fail to see how that would help

But seriously, as Al pointed out, make sure that all is clean & well-lubed. Take out the guts and manually (and also carefully) push the hammer & bolt together with the mainspring in between (that is, mimic the cocking action with the innards outside of the gun). Also, make sure that the TCP is properly installed and not cross-threaded or binding. If you can get the two pieces to latch together outside of the gun, carefully separate them (that spring's under a LOT of pressure) by pushing the two parts together and releasing the sear, then slowly pull them apart. Re-install everything in the gun, applying oil liberally, then air it up and try cocking it again (most Nelsons will not cock without an air source attached & pressurized).

s'ok...I'm takin' it back...

My Feedback Thread
Wycke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

The only other thing that is possibly is that the pump rod is not fitting into the bolt completely and it's slipping out of the bolt and sliding freely when you pump. Look into the feedneck when you pump and see if the bolt is moving.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:57 PM   #15 (permalink)

Make sure your bolt o-ring is not swollen. Easiest way to check for this is if you can feel the sear moving when you pull the trigger, but it won't fire unless you hold the trigger down and push the pump handle firmly towards the front (barrel side).

I suspect that may be the root of your problem.
Fireball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:14 PM   #16 (permalink)

As a few others hinted and stated, something's definitely up if you got it to cock without air. Phantom's won't cock unless you've got air attached. Your best bet is to take it apart, check for visual signs of wear or damage. How old is said Phantom?

Failing that, clean everything thoroughly in hot water; let dry. Then oil and put everything together. Most problems with a Phantom can be solved by cleaning it out and putting it back together.
Hatchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:53 PM   #17 (permalink)
lively as a coma

The bolt moves when I pump it. When aired up, if I hold down the trigger, pull the pump back and let it go, it will fire. But not if I pump it normally. What does this mean?
hockeytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:00 PM   #18 (permalink)
Back to paintball.

Send a message via AIM to Ir0nExpress

I can't really think of anything right off the bat, are you pumping it in full stroke? All the way back and pushing it forward? It seems like it sort of fires.
Ir0nExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:06 PM   #19 (permalink)
MCB Member

Incynr8 pretty much covered it. Go through his list. I used to have an older Phantom that when it got a little loose (quick strip screws) it would intermittantly fire. Tighten down and it was fine again.

"]My Feedback"]
El Gringo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 11:14 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeytown View Post
The bolt moves when I pump it. When aired up, if I hold down the trigger, pull the pump back and let it go, it will fire. But not if I pump it normally. What does this mean?
Fireball wins the cookie.........You have an oring that is either swollen or just not broke in yet on the bolt. A Phantom won't fire unless the bolt all the way forward. Thus it fires when you let it slam forward. Try pushing the pump handle forward, and I'll bet it will shoot too.

Sometimes (although these orings are supposed to be resistant to petro based oil) if you use the wrong type of oil, it will attack the rubber in orings and they will swell up. Only use paintball/airgun/auto trans. oil and you won't have a problem.
thkyle is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI