mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 02-23-2008, 12:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

Size of paint

Hello everyone,

I am soon to be the proud owner of a new slate colored VSC phantom and I was wondering what paint you guys recommend with the stock barrel. I currently use Marballizer with my Sniper 2. What are your preferences?

Thanks
ilerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 12:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ghost with the most

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Power Send a message via MSN to Phantom Power

The biggest stuff you can find if you aren't using a set of detent rings. I'd recommend getting the detent rings and shooting whatever paint you prefer.
Phantom Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 10:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Milky Spore

I liked Marballizers with a green detent ring.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

You need to get a set of the detent rings.

There so many things that affect the size of paintballs that you can never be certain that the same brand will always be the same size by the time you use them.

There are other barrel solutions that cost more, but the detent rings are the cheapest way to stop roll-outs.

The accuracy/efficiency issues, that can only be addressed with proper barrel to paint match, may still be there, but you will find out in the long run that they are really a minor problem if the paint is round.

You'll be surprised at how straight the stock CCI barrels will shoot even small paint as long as it can be centered and located directly in front of the bolt each time. The detents can do that for you.

The major difference that you will experience will be the shot count per 12 gram. With proper fitting paint you might be able to get 40 - 45 good shots. With small paint it will take more gas, and so you may only get 30 - 35 good shots. That just means you will need to change out the 12 gram more often. Most people will change them around the 30 shot mark during a game anyway. If you plan on using a 3.5 oz tank, it's even less of an issue.

The most important thing is accuracy which depends a great deal on consistent velocities shot to shot. This can still be obtained with a cheap set of detent rings and the stock CCI barrels.
thkyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 03:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

Thanks

Sounds good guys, I forgot to mention that a set of detent rings are coming with my phantom so everything sounds good to me!!
ilerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 04:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
Detent rings are great if you are using consistently sized paint. I used the rings for about a year before I had a stock barrel bored out for Freaks. I found that high end paint was consistent enough that I would not break paint in the event an odd ball was too large for the ring, but mid-grade and cheaper paint varies enough in some cases to burst balls. I just shot high end stuff the entire time, so I was okay. However, after playing at the indoor field that rarely carries fresh high grade paint, I decided to get the freak system. It allows you to size the bore a little bit larger than the "average" paintball you are using so you don't get bursts, but the length of the insert means you still won't get rollouts.

However, going back to the original question, use rings for now and buy the best paint you can get. IF you experience any issues with the rings, then look into other options, if not, it may not be worth the money.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:38 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to dextrous

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilerman View Post
Hello everyone,

I am soon to be the proud owner of a new slate colored VSC phantom and I was wondering what paint you guys recommend with the stock barrel. I currently use Marballizer with my Sniper 2. What are your preferences?

Thanks
I'm not sure what your local store stocks. During tourney season i like using the Dynasty 'Banana' Ball. It has a pearly blue shell that's impossible to see coming, a thick, Krylon orange fill that's hard to wipe and it reeks of bananas!

It's the absolute best for Gog shots.

It runs a little big in the bore. I use the .690 insert for my CCM barrel.

Voodoo and Evil are two other favorites of mine.
dextrous is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI