mcarterbrown.com

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 03-30-2008, 06:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
Phantom Tuning Question

I am trying to make my Phantom as efficient as possible (I am keeping the VSC setup though), here is the situation:

Paint to Barrel - I have Freak inserts.
Internal Volume - I have had my valve bobbed.
Springing - Going to tune once it gets warm.

My main question is:

Will a Lapco/TASO fluted lightweight hammer be of any benefit in a Phantom? I *think* I can change the sear for a Phantom sear, am I right? I know these can work wonders for other Nelsons, so I am assuming they can help with a Phantom.

Thanks.

EDIT: Will a Lapco #6p powertube be of any benefit as well?

Last edited by idkfa; 03-30-2008 at 06:12 PM.
idkfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

I've noticed no gain in efficiency from using a freak barrel, to be honest.

You can run a wire in your hardline to devolumize that, and take a .22 shell, fill it with wax, and it will fit inside you valve spring to further devolumize the valve.

I recall reading somewhere that a phantom sear on a lapco hammer does work. Take note though, you'll need a stiffer mainspring, which I don't like, as it's less slick feeling IMO. For me, there's a balance between efficiency and comfort, and if you're running VSC while looking for efficiency, sound like you have a balance point too. Though I did do the backbottle SC setup. I don't really like VSC

aqua_scummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Haha. He's right. You already made your first and mostly deadly compromise going VSC!

My Feedback
MrJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJR View Post
Haha. He's right. You already made your first and mostly deadly compromise going VSC!
I might have to put together a mini-Phantom with a dropout in the near future. I just love the balance and look of the VSC.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
DAMAGE!

The chase for effeciency has always left me tired.
All the BS of tiny valve chambers, loosing "feel" to move the 12 gram dang near inside the valve, heavy valve springs that require hard striker hits to open, etc. For me the VSC feels great, I use inserts to stop rollouts & a side effect is is a nice increse in shot count. After that the biggest thing I can do to further increse shot count is adjust my style.

So what is worth what?

If I find that 30+; effective, in game shots per 12 gram is not working out for me...I need to rethink my air source. The 3.5/4 oz tanks screwed directly into the vertical asa are worth a try. I tend to forget that I am running C/A as the fit and weight are just fine. What I am getting at is it is very simple and reversable to adjust your air source to suit your in game needs...But a bobbed valve will be a bobbed valve (and prone to shootdown in quick fire situations) no matter what airsource you use.

Weigh the pros and cons to "high effeciency" tune jobs, everything has its cost. IMO it has not been worth it to me, I buy 12 grams because I like them & if it costs me an extra couple bucks to have a good day, Then I am fine with that.
foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 01:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

you might look into installing a check valve. that'll help a little.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSA View Post
Ok choochie, the duck is not troubled, it's dated. The technology is old, it's like 8mm stop motion film reels, nothing will ever replace them, they are nostalgic one of a kind but for today's youth the expectations are CGI.
my feedback
c6quad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 01:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Yeah. but checkvalves are against stock class rules.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 02:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

rules? who said anything about rules? we don't need no stinkin' rules...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSA View Post
Ok choochie, the duck is not troubled, it's dated. The technology is old, it's like 8mm stop motion film reels, nothing will ever replace them, they are nostalgic one of a kind but for today's youth the expectations are CGI.
my feedback
c6quad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 02:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

I've used a check valve on walk-on play against semis, but if I were to play pump only I wouldn't use one and would expect the same from my opponents :/

aqua_scummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 02:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to dextrous

Barrels and efficiency.

I've noticed better efficiency with my CCM carbon fiber barrel than with the Freak on my Phantom, but not by much. I use a 3.5oz tank with my VSC setup and get around 300 shots from a fill.

The CCM barrel has far less porting than anything SP produces. Less holes in the sides of a barrel means more air goes out the end . . . ergo efficiency increases.

Stiffi had a sign at NPPL HB saying they would soon be producing CF barrels for Phantoms, and were taking pre-orders. Their barrels would likely perform close to the CCM kit, but i don't honestly know.

I only use the Freak because it seems a tad more accurate, and the tip is ano'ed to match my gun.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI