mcarterbrown.com

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 04-15-2008, 09:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Phantom acting up

For a little over a year now, my phantom has been going down on me in the field.
What happens is, I will fire, and air will begin to vent out of the gun. After a few choice words, I will walk off the field, and dissemble it. I was told the cupseal was coming unthreaded, so I would unscrew the cupseal, and screw it back in. It worked, it would not leak again. At my last game, I skipped that step and just unscrewed the valve retainer, and screwed it back in. It held air and fired. Now, I am still thinking it may be my cupseal, but it could be the valve retainer o-ring. I figured the experts over here might know.
This does not happen every time I use it, It has happened around eight times in the past year, but seems to be getting more frequent. It happened twice at the last scenario I was in on March 24th or so, and on the 5th or April it happened again.
barnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

How well are you lubricating the powertube? Sounds like it's hanging up on the valve nut.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 10:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Back to paintball.

Send a message via AIM to Ir0nExpress

I would honestly just try replacing the powertube assembly.

How long have you owned it? Mine's at 3 years and it's done it once, so I guess mine is getting there.

Do you use plenty of lube?
Ir0nExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

I used to get a stuck powertube somewhat often, never replaced any of it though, just kept using it and oiling it more than before. Now it requires less lube than even when it was brand new...

I think it's all part of the break in period

aqua_scummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 05:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

I've owned it for two and a half years now. I thought it was part of the break in process too but it seems to be getting more frequent. I do oil it, a drop right where the valve retainer meets the power tube and a drop or two in the ASA.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yeah, I had that happen to me once when I had a 3.5oz filled incorrectly. There was basically nothing in the tank I guess and when I pumped whatever Co2 that was in the tank would vent out the barrel.
PhileyOFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:55 AM   #7 (permalink)

Put a tiny little drop of loc-tite on the threads, and screw on the cup seal. Don't want to get any on the seal if you can help it. That will keep it from coming loose, and you might not have a problem again.

That seal and the o-ring should last a lot more than 2 years, unless you're an auto triggering mad man out on the field!
thkyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:03 AM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to dextrous

Try changing your springs as well. As your problem appears to be worsening, you may have a valve spring that's worn out. That factor alone, or combined with a main spring that's too strong, could cause what you are observing.

Also, check to see that your cup seal isn't nicked or gouged.

laterz

D-
Old 04-17-2008, 04:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thkyle View Post
Put a tiny little drop of loc-tite on the threads, and screw on the cup seal. Don't want to get any on the seal if you can help it. That will keep it from coming loose, and you might not have a problem again.

That seal and the o-ring should last a lot more than 2 years, unless you're an auto triggering mad man out on the field!
Lol, I tried autotriggering just once, And it ended badly.

I will check the valve spring and seal, I don't think the valve spring should wear out that fast, and it still holds air when I pump it, so its not like the pumping action is causing it to release air. I will be using it again on Sunday, so we will see how it goes.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Dive Dive Dive

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dextrous View Post
Try changing your springs as well. As your problem appears to be worsening, you may have a valve spring that's worn out. That factor alone, or combined with a main spring that's too strong, could cause what you are observing.

Also, check to see that your cup seal isn't nicked or gouged.

laterz

D-
I agree ^^^^
It like the CCM version of Two Girls One Cup.
I will ban folks.... I swear.
TF

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
worrptangl is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI