mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 05-14-2008, 08:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
MQ2 Pumper!

Question Vertical Air Center Direct Feed Setup

I'm considering getting this setup from Wevo as my first Phantom/Nelson based marker:

Is it just the angle of the photo, or will the hopper sit really high with what appears to be a feed neck adapter for the Winchester hopper? Is that piece necessary, or can the hopper just slide directly onto the breech feed neck without the adapter?

Also, with unregulated CO2, what shot to shot consistency can I expect with these type of markers? Will I need to re-chrono as temperature changes throughout the day? With a 3.5 oz tank and auto triggering, is velocity drop-off a concern with this setup?
mxmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Back to paintball.

Send a message via AIM to Ir0nExpress

That thing will be like a giraffe.

Pumpenstein How to Modify an Elbow to fit a Phantom Vertical Feed.

Most people mod the feedneck and use a ego clamping feedneck to lower the profile or that solution above will suffice.

Unregulated C02, I get -+3, matched paint with barrel. Temperature was never an issue for me unless it's the winter month, which C02 acts like poo anyway.
Ir0nExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxmtl View Post
I'm considering getting this setup from Wevo as my first Phantom/Nelson based marker:
http://www.wevopaintball.com/images/...cfwithtank.jpg

Is it just the angle of the photo, or will the hopper sit really high with what appears to be a feed neck adapter for the Winchester hopper? Is that piece necessary, or can the hopper just slide directly onto the breech feed neck without the adapter?

Also, with unregulated CO2, what shot to shot consistency can I expect with these type of markers? Will I need to re-chrono as temperature changes throughout the day? With a 3.5 oz tank and auto triggering, is velocity drop-off a concern with this setup?
1. Yes, it will sit a bit high with that adapter. That particular 50 round hopper will fit right over the feed neck on a Phantom. So you don't "have" to use it if you don't want to. It won't be real tight unless you use a hose clamp. People these days don't like the "looks" of a hose clamp, but it works good. People used to use them all the time. I've got no problem with it.

2. Phantoms are very consistent, but with CO2 on a day that will have a big temperature swing, you will want to re-chrono. Yes, you can chill a 3.5 tank by auto-triggering too much. The vertical set up is still the best for a 3.5 tank though. You can lose up to 100 shots per tank by running the 3.5 back bottle.
thkyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
MQ2 Pumper!

Thanks for the tips! From the pictures, it did look like the hopper would slide over the feed, although it appears that some vertical adjustment may be necessary or the feed tube will protrude too far into the hopper and cause feeding problems. The EGO feed neck mod sounds appealing, but I think I would be fine with a hose clamp. I find it impressive that consistency is +/- 3 fps with unregulated CO2.

How useful is the gauge?
mxmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Back to paintball.

Send a message via AIM to Ir0nExpress

Gauge is for looks =D It only tells you when you are completely out of pressure when using 12 grams or if you decide to run a low pressure phantom (I run mine at 400 psi with a PPS phantom stabilizer)

I like em, hell, I got two of them on my gun! One for the tank input and one for the operating pressure.
Ir0nExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Inch of Gold

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
PBN Fan
I've found the plastic on Winchester hoppers to be "squishy" enough that you can force it to go directly on a feed neck just by twisting it on with some pressure without splitting the seam. Unless you really bang it on something, it's not going to fall off, either.

Also, I recommend either doing the Dye lock-lid mod, or making a ghetto-hinge out of some black eletrical tape. The lids on those things SUCK to put on once they are off.
Mayvik is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI